Smart Ones

Options
I am just wondering how people feel about these. I've read online that prepackaged meals aren't good for you because of preservatives, etc. but they are so helpful for me because they are pre-portioned and a lot of times I'm so busy with school that it's easier for me to pop one in the microwave or grab fast food <
that's why I'm overweight!! Lol- Just wondering how everyone feels and if I could get some feedback :)

Replies

• MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't use them, but i would suggest checking the nutrition label. Processed foods generally have tons of sodium. I would suggest they're OK in a pinch, but i would also suggest trying to cook healthy foods in larger batches, then freezing right sized portions yourself so you can eat them at your convenience. Crock pots are good for that too.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to have a few on hand to grab instead of fast food or something even worse when life gets busy. But I agree that you should try to eat less processed foods. I try to cook several chicken breasts and boil some eggs on the weekend to have on hand for quick snacks and meals during the week. I'll just throw a handful of frozen veggies in the microwave, measure out 3 oz of chicken and have a super easy (and healthy) dinner. And I cut one breast into strips to have with salads for lunches.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I use these, or things like them, if I'm hungry and out of time.
    The Smart Ones always seem a little skimpy to me, and don't really keep me sated for long.
    The nutri-nazis probably don't like them, but they're a little better than eating some crappy fast food or junk out of a machine..
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you're not worried about sodium, some of them are great in a pinch. I like morning star products (veggie brand) and healthy choice. Still check the nutrition though. Some of them are not as healthy as you'd think. Lean cuisine pizzas, healthy choice chicken fetticini and broccoli and morning star chick patties are my favos. Try to eat fruits and veggies between and drink lots of water too!:flowerforyou:
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I eat them, or ones like them, every once in a while. Sometimes when I want something specific (spaghetti alfredo) or when I don't have time/energy. Unfortunately, I can't cook in large batches & freeze b/c I live with other people who take up most of the fridge/freezer space. But I do my best to stick with home cooked meals, especially because of the crazy amounts of sodium in some of the freezer meals. And they're generally healthier.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I use them with great success on days when I work at the office. At first, I would eat two of them for a lunch, but but as I've gotten better accustomed to eating fewer calories and being satisfied, I'm now able to eat just one and have it carry me through until dinner with no problem. As someone else mentioned, I also use these when I'm in a rush as a way to avoid the calling of fast food.

The biggest problem that I see with them is the sodium ... they are HUGE in sodium for the portion size. Nonetheless, I'm continuing to lose weight while these are part of, but not the mainstay, of my overall diet plan; especially on days that I work from the office. I have my blood pressure monitored constantly, every other day, as part of my previous cardiac rehab activities, and my regular blood pressure range is around 100/70, so the sodium isn't currently having any negative impacts. Again, I only end up eating about three of these a week, so the sodium's much less a concern. I would say to use caution with the sodium side if you were planning to, for example, use these as a significant portion of your dietary intake ... like two of them of them every day of the week.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested putting these on top of frozen veggies or salad greens, which sounded like a great idea.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Its the lesser of the devil. While home cooked items are ofcourse best (my unhealthiest food which I pig out on all day is better than 1 meal at McDs......), if you're unable to cook for yourself due to time restraints or something, keep these on hand to use them if you need. I do the same with deli sandwiches, the deli meat isnt great due to high amount of sodium but beats the hell outta eating at KFC...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while is fine, but I don't think eating them every day is a good idea. Make it a goal to cook for yourself more often. Well made homecooked food is delicious. I can't eat TV dinners anymore because I hate the taste.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Its the lesser of the devil. While home cooked items are ofcourse best (my unhealthiest food which I pig out on all day is better than 1 meal at McDs......), if you're unable to cook for yourself due to time restraints or something, keep these on hand to use them if you need. I do the same with deli sandwiches, the deli meat isnt great due to high amount of sodium but beats the hell outta eating at KFC...

Boar's Head makes really good lower sodium deli meats and white cheese have much less salt. These are my go-to lunchmeats when I make sammiches.
  • breanndavis_00
    Options
    I set a goal for myself to not eat past 6, 6:30 and a lot of times, I just don't get home in time. I am a full time student working a full time job. So whenever it's 6:15ish and I know I don't have much time, I just pop one in. The sodium isn't much of a problem for me and I never salt anything else. I'm using them right now to help with portion control, so I hope after a week or two, I'll be used to smaller portions and won't need them anymore!! Thanks so much for all the feedback! :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I set a goal for myself to not eat past 6, 6:30 and a lot of times, I just don't get home in time. I am a full time student working a full time job. So whenever it's 6:15ish and I know I don't have much time, I just pop one in. The sodium isn't much of a problem for me and I never salt anything else. I'm using them right now to help with portion control, so I hope after a week or two, I'll be used to smaller portions and won't need them anymore!! Thanks so much for all the feedback! :)

It doesn't actually matter when you eat, just your total calorie intake, so if it comes down to a time crunch like this, it might be worth it to put some more effort into making a homemade meal that takes 20-30 minutes to make versus a few minutes if it's nutritionally better for you. Just a thought.

You'll be fine no matter what, but developing good habits from the start is really important to doing this long-term.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I've also heard that 7pm is the cut-off for not eating later, so maybe you could even give yourself a bit more time once in a while?
  • Karamajo
    Karamajo Posts: 1
    Options
    I buy them and add frozen veggies to them, it's a great meal for lunch instead of fast food. I don't eat them everyday tho, usually a couple of t imes a week.