Running out of money to eat healthy!!!I need advice for my g

Options
Like every other american family we are struggling hard.I am currently the only one employed and am supporting myself,my husband and my daughter,and my husband.This year I have really been dedicated to a new lifestyle,and put a fair amount of my tax return into resources foe diet and exercise...but that fund is depleting fast...usually most weeks we stick to pinto beans potatoe and ramen,all the fresh food we can afford and usually is saved for my daughter..so does anyone have advice on how to keep eating healthy on a strict budget?

Replies

• MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Really? My food bill cut in half when i cut out all of the crap and the grocery bags were so much heavier too.

As summer is arriving, you need to hit the farmer's markets hard. Also, do you have any space for a garden? That would be a wonderful way to supplement your food with really fresh, organic produce and it would be a wonderful activity for your family.

You can also freeze, can and preserve fresh foods yourself at much lower cost.

I know all of these options take some time - so i'm sorry if this is not very helpful.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Wow- two husbands? (j/k)...

I have two words for you:

Crock Pot.

You can use lower cost cuts of meat and make it ssttrreettcchh through at least two meals, sometimes three!

I cook a large chicken for Sunday dinner in the crock pot for me, my husband, and my teenage son. Then after dinner, I pull the meat off and chop it up for another meal. Then the carcass I boil down and make Chicken and wild rice soup with the stock.

Three meals from one chicken.

That's just one example. There's tons of ideas out there!

Also: Farmer's market for fruits n veggies. Always a great bargain. Don't forget frozen fruits n veggies too! Watch for coupons and sales on these!!

Stay positive. Things will turn around!! :)
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Try to buy fresh fruit & veg in season, that's when it's more plentiful, therefore cheaper. Not in season- try frozen. Most of the time it's just as nutritious or even more so because it's flash frozen just after being harvested. Also, I buy store brands for a lot of stuff. I know some people won't simply b/c they think it's lower quality- it isn't. I like the Walmart brand banana cream pie yogurt a lot!

I'm not working at the moment, and trying to support myself. That and coupons are what I've found to help.
  • Robbie32
    Robbie32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are great, rice, canned whole tomatoes, tuna, heads of lettuce, fresh greens, carrots, beans, bannanas, peanut butter, cooking spray instead of margerine, frozen veggies, noodles, saltine crackers, buy whole chickens if you want to eat meat and that mexican nacho cheese is great, you can buy in bulk and save $$ plus it has less fat than other processed cheeses. Thats good eatin'
  • joannea1988
    Options
    i always but a bag of frozen chicken breast , can normally get about 6 breasts in a bag for £5, go for veg in season, , ive started buying sacks of potatoes. when i go shopping im always looking for a bargain, wholewheat noodles are about £1 for 6 portions, weighing my own fruit and veg instead of buying prepacked sometimes this can 1/2 the price, which i was amazed at , sorry about the prices being in £ dunno if this helps much x
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels. I am more comfortable now but I brought up three (hungry) sons on my own. Soup, soup and more soup. Stews with cheap cuts of meat. Two or three nights a week - dinners with no meat. Rice and veg and small amounts of fish (eat like the Asians).
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Eggs are inexpensive, low calorie, highly nutritious and filling. Any fresh veggies I buy are whole - not conveniently cut up for me. They're much less expensive and retain more nutrients if you cut them yourself.

Beans are great food. Ramen, on the other hand, probably has no nutritional value at all, and are not filling.

Ground turkey and chicken are less expensive than ground beef, and can be stretched a long way! I brown a pound and then divide it into 4 containers/freezer bags and put them in the freezer to be added to beans, veggies, rice.....whatever.

It really depends on where you are located. I was in OK for a year and food there was MUCH more expensive due to the drought that has been going on for so long. They could not grow food, so it was ALL shipped in. I found the locals could point me in the right direction for finding less expensive foods, farmers markets (tomatoes were finally ripe by Thanksgiving, it was too hot for them to grow in the summer), time of week for sales at each grocery store, etc. Your local grocery store may even be a good source of info for when their meats and produce are marked down - the evening before the truck will be in with more, generally. They want to clear out to make room for the fresher stuff. If you can get a good deal on fresh but don't think it will last long enough to get it eaten, buy it and chop it up to freeze. It will keep, that way!
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Is learning to coupon something you could do? It has cut down on expenses for the group of us a great deal..
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The farmers market where I live is year round and has cut our grocery bills down significantly. We were spending close to 100 a week on fruit and veg (4 adults), we now go to the market every two weeks and spend 30 bucks. We come home dice everything up and rinse it and throw it in the freezer to be used at a later date. We also buy eggs and other products at the market.
  • Jadesmommy2003
    Jadesmommy2003 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a coupon queen and I am not sure if you have one where you are at (did not look) but Costco rocks for the family. I am a single income also and support my husband, my daughter and my son who eats like he is 3 people if you let him. Costco has coupons every month and so I spend a couple of hours there reading nutrition labels but coupon away. Super Tragets or Super Walmarts also a treasure for cutting costs and remaining healthy. You just have to take the time to plan, label read, and coupon cut. Sounds like coupon searching may be a hubby task :0)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear your struggle. Heres a few things I did that have helped me alot and hopefully will help you too.

1) Donot think that you need to be rich to eat healthy. Infact, once I stopped eating outside, I magically found more money in my pocket and not only was I eating healthier, I was eating more tasty food!

2) Try to cook with fresh veggies and reduce the "box items" or fad diet crap. Do you know on average a nice meal for me costs about 75 cents? And we're talking about chicken curry with good bread!

3) Try to expand your horizon into exotic foods. Sounds expensive? its not! Check my blogs for a couple of recipes which are very cheap (and semi-healthy). For Indian food you only need like 4 basic spices and those can be bought for under a dollar each at an indian store and lasts you forever! I'm sure other ethnic foods are the same!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear your struggle. Heres a few things I did that have helped me alot and hopefully will help you too.

1) Donot think that you need to be rich to eat healthy. Infact, once I stopped eating outside, I magically found more money in my pocket and not only was I eating healthier, I was eating more tasty food!

2) Try to cook with fresh veggies and reduce the "box items" or fad diet crap. Do you know on average a nice meal for me costs about 75 cents? And we're talking about chicken curry with good bread!

3) Try to expand your horizon into exotic foods. Sounds expensive? its not! Check my blogs for a couple of recipes which are very cheap (and semi-healthy). For Indian food you only need like 4 basic spices and those can be bought for under a dollar each at an indian store and lasts you forever! I'm sure other ethnic foods are the same!

hi riz, I'm new in here, how do I get to your blog, would love to see and try your Indian recipe .
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bump - would love to know how to find a specific blog, as I can only find them to browse through :)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi
    This website is probably going to help you - it is Australian, but the common sense and attitude changing hints will help - it's free to look at and get newsletters, but you have to be a member to join and look at more detailed information. It has lots of American members. It is $47 Australian dollars to join.

http://www.simplesavings.com.au/
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Really? My food bill cut in half when i cut out all of the crap and the grocery bags were so much heavier too.
    Exactly my experience. Since I buy less rubbish, bring my lunch in to work and generally eat less, I'm actually better off.
    Use frozen veg, don't buy A-brands, stock up on basics when they're on sale.

Don't give up, please!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    hi riz, I'm new in here, how do I get to your blog, would love to see and try your Indian recipe .

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/riz9007

Theres tons of other Indian recipes also you can try. The main point was that diversifying into other ethnic foods can be a real penny saver.
  • bostonmom23
    bostonmom23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There has been alot of advice here. I try to kind of low carb eliminating the white stuff (flour and sugar).
    http://budgetdial.blogspot.com/2006/01/low-carb-on-budget.html
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    i bought this cookbook the other day from a charity shop and cost mere pennies. There is a recipe in there that is so cheap to cook and serves 6!

Vegetable Pot

2 tbsp olive oil
    8 baby onions, peeled
    2 celery stalks, sliced (i left these out cause i only like it raw!)
    225g / 8 oz carrots, thickly sliced
    225 g /8 oz turnips, diced (or parsnips if you don't like turnips)
    55 g / 2 oz peal barley, rinsed
    700 - 850 ml / 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pints vegetable stock
    salt and pepper
    350 g / 12 oz diced quorn (left this out cause i'm allergic!)
    85 g / 3 oz partially thawed frozen peas
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, to garnish

Preheat oven to 180°/350°F/gas mark 4
    Heat half the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole dish on a medium heat.
    Add onions, celery, carrots and turnips. Cook for 10 mins, stir frequently. Add pearl barley, cook for 1 min, stir occasionally, pour in stock and bring to the boil.

transfer to casserole dish if not used already. season with salt and pepper and cover.

Cook for 1 - 1 1/4 hours.

heat remaining oil in a saucepan, medium heat, add quorn and cook for 5 - 8 mins or until golden.

Add quorn to casserole with the peas and cook for another 10 - 20 mins or until veg is tender.

Serve with parsley.

This cost me about £3.

A serving provides:

Cals 334
    Protein 50 g
    Carbs 26 g
    Sugar 8.2 g
    Fat 7 g
    Sats 0.3 g
    GI Medium
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I work at a farmer's market 6 months out of the year - actually 2 markets - one on saturdays and another on sundays. I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't find the cost of the produce at our markets to be any lest costly than even the cheapest grocery store, but certainly you can get good organic produce for far less than at markets like Whole Foods. Best advice is to shop the perimeter of the store when you do have to go inside to shop. Avoid packaged foods as much as possible. The more processing in the product, the higher the price, generally. Figure out how to manage your time so you can prepare from raw foods. I know, I'm on food benefits, because I'm temporarily disabled and it's hard to buy an entire month's groceries on what I have, but it is easier if I stay off anything packaged or less than nutritious. I still run out of money by midmonth and have to discipline myself to clean out the fridge and cupboard before going to the store again. It's a lot of work, but the benefit is that you will eat better. I don't really have a choice as I'm diabetic and have celiac disease. There's no such thing as potatoes and cheap bread for me and I can't afford any of the outrageously priced gluten free foods. Packaged foods for diabetics are self defeating. So, you have to get creative, garden if you can and do a lot more cooking and the recommendation for a slow cooker is spot on - best investment for saving money and you can get one for nothing if you can connect with your local Freecycle group online. People give them away all the time.
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    I have 8 brothers and sisters and I remember how hard it was for us on my dads wage, we grew veggies every spare of ground had something edible growing in it, Mum made lots of big pots of stews and soups, leftovers were frozen and used up never thrown away,
    Pasta, rice , oats, and lentils were staples, at one stage we had a couple of laying hens so fresh eggs were good.
    buy day old bread and buy food that is at its best before date, you can freeze and its fine, and some things get reduced because the package is damaged or the can dented,