Visible Minority Here!

Options
Contrary to the majority of the posters here..I'm a 21 yr old guy..trying to GAIN weight with the help of MFP!
Right now I stand at 180cm..but only 47.5 kg..so that's no good.
I grew tired of being "the skinny guy"..which is why I have decided to take action to grow into a more normal frame. (and i think no matter which one u are..overweight or underweight..we are all aiming for the same thing..and that's to live a healthy lifestyle)

@ )

My goal is to get to 65 kg..so if anyone have any good tips..let me know!
Goodluck everyone!
Lets get in shape!

Replies

• karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    All I can say is good luck hun. Would pass some of my genetics to you if only I could hehe. My hubby used to have trouble gaining when he was younger and tried have fibre rich shakes and protein shakes. He used to make then and pour on his cereal instead of just milk. Only thing I can think of. He didnt build much but with age he is now 72kg.

I wish you well in your journey :o) Happy to be your friend if you dont mind a "loser" hehe
  • howy0420
    howy0420 Posts: 12
    Options
    All I can say is good luck hun. Would pass some of my genetics to you if only I could hehe. My hubby used to have trouble gaining when he was younger and tried have fibre rich shakes and protein shakes. He used to make then and pour on his cereal instead of just milk. Only thing I can think of. He didnt build much but with age he is now 72kg.

I wish you well in your journey :o) Happy to be your friend if you dont mind a "loser" hehe

Haha..I don't really mind..since we're all here for the same reason pretty much!
    For the most part..I heard the same thing about genetically skinny people.. (gaining weight with age)
    However..I think if so many 350 pound ppl can successfully lose weight..then a 110 pound genetically skinny person like me should be able to gain weight.

I don't think I could take another year or two without looking at the weight situation.
    If this is a problem that has to be taken care of sooner or later..then why not get it over with already.

Looks like you'll have a long journey ahead yourself..with 30kg more to go! o.O
    How long did it take for u to trim off the 10kg so far?
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    protein weight gain and cheap ice cream,,,
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Haha..I don't really mind..since we're all here for the same reason pretty much!
    For the most part..I heard the same thing about genetically skinny people.. (gaining weight with age)
    However..I think if so many 350 pound ppl can successfully lose weight..then a 110 pound genetically skinny person like me should be able to gain weight.

I don't think I could take another year or two without looking at the weight situation.
    If this is a problem that has to be taken care of sooner or later..then why not get it over with already.

Looks like you'll have a long journey ahead yourself..with 30kg more to go! o.O
    How long did it take for u to trim off the 10kg so far?

It has taken me 9 weeks to be rid of the 10kg with lots of exercise and watching the food. I am still so very determined. I am gona rub my determination on to you hehe. Yep, we are all here with goals big and small. I think it is more about being a supportive friend no matter what your doing, young or old :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance, but my teenager son in in Gaining mode. He's always been "The Tank" on the football team, now he's gotten so tall he's way too thin. Trying to put on 25 more pounds before August. He's pushing the protein shakes between all his regular meals. Thinking of switching to Weight Gainer instead of regular protein at this point. Summer football camps and 2-a-days will take all that weight right back off is the problem he'll face.

Good luck with your journey!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Take in lots of protein (you might want to adjust your macro ratios to 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat and get lots of good fats in - avocados, olive oil, nuts and oily fish. I'm sure the weight-training expert guys will be along soon, but find yourself a simple resistance training programme using free weights and lift heavy - three sets using weights you can only left 8 times or fewer. For cardio, stick to shorter, higher intensity sessions like high intensity interval training (HIIT), and remember to eat back your exercise calories. Good luck!
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    There's a great UK tv program called supersize vs superskinny, an obese person and an underweight person have to swap meals for 3days. The skinny person usually either has tiny tiny portions or getd their energy from sweets/high cal drinks.
    Best advice I can give you is def eat 3 meals a day and eat good health foods plenty of protein and carbs for you!
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    well, I'm not knowledgeable about gaining weight, but think there has to be a healthy way to do it. I tend to think that trying to "fatten" up by consuming ice cream and other junk type foods will not be good for you. It is not fat you want to add to your body is it? Isn't it muscle? You don't want to end up being one of those athletes that have an unhealthy layer of fat under the muscle, put on for the sake of just weighing more for the football season. Best to put on new weight in the form of healthy muscle, isn't it? Just my uneducated guess.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Being that I am on here to lose wt, I really wish I could give you great advice. My advice will be to stay smart about gaining, and do it right. Go to your local health food store and see what advice they can give you. When all else fails, check with your dr and see what he/she says. Maybe even get in touch with a nutrionist about it.

I do know that the higher amount of protien you get in your body the better off you are. Stick with the good fats and complex (not simple) carbs.

You may even be able to find some information on the internet about wt gain. Feel free to add me if you wish, and I will try to vibe you some of mine. Good luck to you.
  • howy0420
    Options
    protein weight gain and cheap ice cream,,,

haha..it's never easy laying your hands off the evil ice cream container..
    It has taken me 9 weeks to be rid of the 10kg with lots of exercise and watching the food. I am still so very determined. I am gona rub my determination on to you hehe. Yep, we are all here with goals big and small. I think it is more about being a supportive friend no matter what your doing, young or old :)

Wow..10kg in 9 weeks
    now that's some very impressive numbers!!
    I don't think I can even match that in gains..even though gaining is easier than losing!
    I am in maintenance, but my teenager son in in Gaining mode. He's always been "The Tank" on the football team, now he's gotten so tall he's way too thin. Trying to put on 25 more pounds before August. He's pushing the protein shakes between all his regular meals. Thinking of switching to Weight Gainer instead of regular protein at this point. Summer football camps and 2-a-days will take all that weight right back off is the problem he'll face.

Good luck with your journey!!

I've never been "The Tank" or anything..but I do know that when you're shorter..you do get away with your weight cuz of the short limbs. I only realized how skinny I was when I suddenly grew a good 10-25cm in a couple of years. Your son must feel quite strange to literally..stretch out!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    While I'm losing at the moment, for the 2nd half of last year I was trying to gain as I did a bulk, to gain some extra muscle.

I was eating 2800 a day, plus exercise calories, and gaining just under 1lb a week. I would eat around 5x a day with foods such pasta, rice, meat , eggs, milk, cheese, nuts. I had a few extras in there occaisionally such as sweets and crisps but mainly it was proper foods as I had a target protein goal to meet.

My exercise was 5x a week heavy lifting program at the gym, to make as much of the gain as I could, muscle. Of course I ate back my calories as I wanted to gain, not maintain, so I was eating 3000+ on workout days. Once you get in the habit of it, it becomes relatively easy, and I'm the sort of person who loves food anyway!

From this I gained 16lbs in 6 months, and according to BF% around 6lbs was muscle and 10lbs fat.

While I'm losing now, I'm still on 2000 plus exercise calories, so on workout days I'm eating around 2300-2600. My diary is public so feel free to have a look there if you want any ideas for food :)
  • howy0420
    Options
    Take in lots of protein (you might want to adjust your macro ratios to 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat and get lots of good fats in - avocados, olive oil, nuts and oily fish. I'm sure the weight-training expert guys will be along soon, but find yourself a simple resistance training programme using free weights and lift heavy - three sets using weights you can only left 8 times or fewer. For cardio, stick to shorter, higher intensity sessions like high intensity interval training (HIIT), and remember to eat back your exercise calories. Good luck!

I obviously have no clue about the ratios..but I will look for those!
    Generally I do try to eat a good balance of meats, veges, rice/noodles, and fruits..so I guess I'm sort of on the right track..

Been trying to decide whether I should start working out immediately or till I hit a good 53 or 54kg..
    But thanks for your advice anyhow!
    There's a great UK tv program called supersize vs superskinny, an obese person and an underweight person have to swap meals for 3days. The skinny person usually either has tiny tiny portions or getd their energy from sweets/high cal drinks.
    Best advice I can give you is def eat 3 meals a day and eat good health foods plenty of protein and carbs for you!

Yeah..I've seen that a couple of times!
    The looks from the big guys when they get their newly customized meals..just priceless.

Great advice! I didn't think it was such a big deal to eat 3 meals until I found out how hard it actually is to cram 2500 calories in the last 9 hours of the day..haha.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I recently gained 15lbs eating incredibly healthy foods, no junk, high protein, and lifting heavy. Now I am maintaining for a while but eventually will probably gain another 7-8lbs. Set your macros to 40-30-30, eat many meals through the day, google calorie dense foods and feel free to check out my diary from the past month.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    right here also man... I was the same growning up!!

If you want to gain, eat more!!! I say try a +500 cal intake and go from there.. In my opinion weight gainers are a waste of money. A double scoop of protein is about 240 cals plus 2 tablespoons of peanut butter adds about 180 cals = 420 Cals right there!! plus your protein is about 48G

you want to do a clean bulk to avoid putting on as much fat as possible...Eat clean calories !!!!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    And it says your from Canada? Quit using Kilos lol.. I understand Lbs better!!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 2500 calories in a single meal... It can SO be done.

You might want to talk to Sidesteal. He's on a bulk phase now and looking great. He's also a very helpful knowledgeable person.

Good luck to you!
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My son has the same problem, he is drinking protein shakes with peanut butter and going to the gym to bulk up. It is working for him. He runs every day and just bought a kayak so thats a work out too. Unfortunately he eats too much fast food. He has always been very active and wants to try out for the indoor football team next year. Good luck gaining weight.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Contrary to the majority of the posters here..I'm a 21 yr old guy..trying to GAIN weight with the help of MFP!
    Right now I stand at 180cm..but only 47.5 kg..so that's no good.
    I grew tired of being "the skinny guy"..which is why I have decided to take action to grow into a more normal frame. (and i think no matter which one u are..overweight or underweight..we are all aiming for the same thing..and that's to live a healthy lifestyle)

@ )

My goal is to get to 65 kg..so if anyone have any good tips..let me know!
    Goodluck everyone!
    Lets get in shape!

A mate of mine is in a similar situation, (similar height, but I'm pretty sure he's always been slightly over 50 kg....) and he's gotten into rockclimbing to gain muscle mass. Being light and tall, it's relatively easy to get started, and then you get the positive feedback of increasing resistance as you gain weight.