UK People - I have a Question

Options
leahhugh
leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
Why do windows not have screens, and doors no screen doors?

Replies

• gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    Probably because it doesn't get warm enough to have to leave them open?
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe not open for days straight, but for the day, it'd be nice to open windows without getting spiders in!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I want to put tight netting over all of my windows and doors. Impossible? Probably. Impractical? Definitely, but I have a crippling phobia of wasps and have to sit indoors with windows and doors closed, even though it looks lovely, sunny and breezy outside.

However, that's purely because I want to enjoy the outdoors. Far worse is when I'm in my old, beat-up Corsa. It doesn't have working fans, let alone air conditioning, and I can't open the windows when I'm driving. THAT is torture. A little greenhouse, travelling along under the midday summer sun, with no air circulation.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    No mosquitoes, at least where I am.:laugh:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    We don't have such a problem with flying insects; when in Africa / North America / Asia I've been grateful for them, but here in England it's never even considered when building a house.

Personally, I think that looking out at the world through a mesh is ugly, and I wouldn't want them on my windows unless they were absolutely necessary.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    We dont really have much of a summer so no real need to have screens as minimal bugs and it just doesnt get hot long enough to need to keep windows and doors open!!
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Most of our windows are hinged, not sash... that's another part of it.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I want to put tight netting over all of my windows and doors. Impossible? Probably. Impractical? Definitely, but I have a crippling phobia of wasps and have to sit indoors with windows and doors closed, even though it looks lovely, sunny and breezy outside.
    Insect proofing windows is neither impossible or impractical, it's not even expensive and is standard practice in a lot of countries.

http://www.windowscreensuk.co.uk/diy-or-premade/

Seriously though? Far better to get your phobia sorted, see your doc the NHS has great programmes. I speak from experience as a former arachnophobe, they're all over my house these days, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've come a long way from the days when I wouldn't enter a room if there was a spider in it, just to give you an idea, I spent a week climbing in and out through a window 'cos my husband was away and there were spiders in both hallways. Almost can't believe that was me! :bigsmile: