How often do you weigh?

Options
I've been on MFP for 20 days now, so far I've lost 6lbs which is hitting my weekly target but I was just wondering how often is best to weigh??
So far, have only weighed twice since I started but I know people weigh everyday! Plus, if I were to weigh everyday, what time of day is best?

Replies

• Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I like weekly is widely accepted as what you should do. I weigh daily because it helps me learn how my body reacted to different things the day before. Ie what happens when I go out to eat? What happens if my sodium is high or I don't drink enough water? I know you get daily fluctuations so you can't expect to stand there everyday and see it go down in weight. But I can tell you if it goes up it motivates me to be careful with my foods that day and exercise because it want to see it move down again.
    I weigh first thing in the morning before and food intake.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Friday morning before eating and after going to the bathroom!
  • toothfairybuttkicker
    toothfairybuttkicker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I officialy weigh in every tuesday lunch time, this is the weight that i use for MFP. I have to admit that i do scale jump most times i go to the bathroom. It's a realy bad habit that i need to sort!!!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, but am trying to learn to not take the number too seriously if it changes too much. Experience taught me how much it can fluctuate according to things eaten, like bread and salt. I found within one 24 hour period, I gained a full 4 Ibs because I had binged on bread. After cycling and eating normally the next day, it had dropped back down 3 Ibs, so I spent an evening all angry and miserable for nothing. I wouldnt recommend weighing daily unless you are the sort who can avoid taking it seriously and who can use it to observe how your body works from day to day and how certain foods affect it.

I weigh at an odd time really, usually in the evening at about 7.30pm , before dinner, as I don't eat that much during the daytime and tend to eat more in the late evening, a bad habit.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Monday morning before breakfast and after i've been to the bathroom. I do sneak on the scales intermittently throughout the week sometimes, just to see how much weight fluctuates throughout the week due to water etc... I only log my weight on a Monday though, as the rest of the week isn't a true reflection of loss/gain...

Once a week i'd say is sufficient. :)
  • baileylm
    baileylm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, first thing after I wake up, but I only record my weight on MFP each Friday. Daily weigh-ins can be a real encouragement because losing even .2 pounds is moving in the right direction. And as a previous comment stated, if it moves up a little you can stay on top of it and turn it around right away.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a month, scale fluctuations drive me crazy. As long as my body looks progressively better in the mirror, I'm good.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself several times a day. (which I know is a no no). I do it just to keep myself from gaining weight. I tend to gain weight very easily. I only count my Friday morning weigh in as my true weight.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I weigh every two weeks and hide my scales in between. I get my best reading if I weigh on Sunday mornings when I first get up. If I left the scales out I'd get on (just for ****s and giggles) every day. That messes with my mind because it can vary up to 3-4 pounds on a day to day basis.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You'll drive yourself nuts weighing in daily! It is not a good measure, a pound or two falls within the realm of statistical probability. Could be water, could be something in your gut.

Here's a good rule:

Weigh in first thing in the morning, after you wake up and take a leak but before you eat. Your hydration levels will be consistent, unless you consumed alcohol the previous night -

Weigh yourself three days in a row before you accept a pound or two loss as "true" and record.

I do Mon/Tue/Wed which I've come to call "Weigh In Wednesday". If I get the same lower reading those days, it gets entered into my progress report.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week, first thing in the morning after I go to the bathroom. Occasionally I will get on the scale during the week, but for me, it's not a good thing. So I try to stick with once a week.
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    I have a pair of jeans that are a size smaller than what I'm wearing now. I try them on every Wednesday and if I can see a difference, I weigh myself. The number doesn't matter to me. No one can see the number but me. I want to be able to fit in all the clothes in my closet. :)
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, because for me, it's a "one day at a time" kind of battle.
    If I maintained or went down then I know I'm doing everything right.
    If I went up, then it's my punishment for that cheat the day before.
  • susieq12261960
    Options
    I weigh my self every morning , I do that to keep on top of things . Sometimes the scale goes up but i know that if i continue to write down everything i eat that and watch what i eat it must be just because of salt in the food .
    Or for us women you gain up to 5 lbs week before or during the time of the month. But after it is done you will lose it back off
    It is best to weigh yourself and record it every day to keep you going.
    It does not help to only weigh once a week because you will be thinking i weigh myself once a week so i can cheat a little before next weigh in,
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @ it I'll have a doughnut!" so its best to weigh once a week or even fortnightly, certainly if you weigh more often you really shouldn't record it on mfp more than once a week.
    The best time is in the morning before breakfast & after going to the bathroom wearing either the same clothes or no clothes but if you prefer to weigh on scales at the pharmacy or supermarket just make sure it is the same time of day every time in similar clothes.
    TIP: if your doctor has told you that you need to get down to a certain weight before he will refer you or before a procedure can be done, after he has weighed you go straight home & find out what your weight is on your scales compared to his wearing the same clothes. Some doctors scales are lbs out, my previous doc's scales made me 10lbs lighter than my digital scales.
  • squished
    squished Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Once every week or two for me. If I feel the need to weigh myself every day to make sure I'm keeping on top of things, I haven't succeeded in making the lifestyle change I was hoping for.
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like weekly is widely accepted as what you should do. I weigh daily because it helps me learn how my body reacted to different things the day before. Ie what happens when I go out to eat? What happens if my sodium is high or I don't drink enough water? I know you get daily fluctuations so you can't expect to stand there everyday and see it go down in weight. But I can tell you if it goes up it motivates me to be careful with my foods that day and exercise because it want to see it move down again.
    I weigh first thing in the morning before and food intake.

Like he said, I weigh everyday because I learn more about my body and how different foods, excess sodium, etc. affects me. Unlike some I don't get discouraged if I haven't lost anything or if I've gained because I know what I'm working for and that's a change in habits and healthier lifestyle for the long haul. I record my weight on MFP once a week but weighing everyday helps me stay focused. You have to do, however, what works best for you. If weighing daily frustrates you weigh once a week. I weigh first thing in the morning right after I tinkle. :-) Also, It is best to weigh at the same time of day.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself...first...when I just get out of bed after going the loo =)

Then I randomly weigh myself whenever i walk past that damn scale.
    I'm hiding my scale today though...not looking for 2 weeks...
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm a scale junkie. I weigh everyday, but only record the losses :)
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm a scale junkie. I weigh everyday, but only record the losses :)

^ This. But I only record the losses on Fridays, in case losses during the week don't stick:P