Strength Training calories

How much does strength training typically burn? Exertion to the extent that I can only do 12 reps max.

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    It differs with everyone. Its all about effort. I would highly suggest an HRM to really know an accurate calorie count. I loooove mine and couldn't live without it. :)
  • Adrian211
    Adrian211 Posts: 52 Member
    Well I'm not sure how accurate you can be with strength training calories. I have two programs that I do. 8 stations, 2 sets of 8-12 reps, and it takes about 15 mins to whip through the whole thing. I just underestimate it at about 100-150 cals. Really the bread and butter of measuring calories is from actual cardio. Sorry I don't know if this helps
  • eberz1000
    eberz1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks though!
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    I've asked a similar question on here, and the best I can come up with concerning logging the exercise is to use "calesthenics" or "circuit training". You can gauge how hard you're working by how weak your muscles feel and how hard you're breathing, which will usually give you an idea whether or not you really deserve all the calories that MFP is giving you :o)

What I tend to do, though, is just not eat back any weight lifting calories unless it's a really big workout. Hope this helps a little bit!
  • Motherjoe
    Motherjoe Posts: 5 Member
    I use a heart rate monitor when I strength train and it is different every time depending on how many minutes, and if I'm working legs the number is always higher, etc., but typically for me it's usually around 200 for 15-20 minutes (everyone is different). I always record the calories on here under "Cardiovascular" because, hey, they're calories burned and I'm counting them in my daily total :D
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    I log my strength training on a different site. I use fitclick.com. I have a HRM but the battery died and just haven't replaced it and that site is working for me.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Under cardio there is a weight training listing, I'd recommend using that over calisthenics, or circuit training, if you are lifting weights in the conventional sense. I say this because a lot of calisthenics (think jumping jacks, burpees, fast squats) and circuit training tend to have some cardio component (and presumably higher caloric burn) than typical weight lifting does. Also, I'm not sure how true it is, but I have heard that heart rate monitors are more accurate for cardio than for strength training--but I have nothing to back that up.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    I warm up with interval cardio for 10 minutes on eliptical. That burns approx. 100 cals. according to my HR monitor. The cardio machine estimates much higher, usually 170. I then lift a whole body routine for about 30 - 40 minutes, each exercise 12 rep X 3, less than a minute rest between sets. At this pace I am sweating a lot, and breathing very hard after the leg exercises (HR usually near 170). I burn approx 400 cals, during the lifting by my HRM. I'm male, 43, 185 lb. Hope this helps.