Popcorn - is it possible to air pop without an air popper??

Options
Hey everyone!

Just a quick question:)
We don't have an air popper for popcorn, however we do have a microwave (if that helps!) am just wondering if anyone knows any great ways to pop popcorn without an air popper and without oil? :)

Thanks!

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have a plastic bowl with a lid that is made for popping air popped popcorn in the microwave. But I wonder if you could use any microwavable bowl and lid... I've also seen it done before in a paper bag, but I've never tried it myself.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I just take the kernels, put them in a non-stick pot with a lid, put it on medium heat and let 'em pop. You have to shake the pot pretty often, but it doesn't take long.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Like other posters, I have a plastic bowl that is made to pop popcorn in the microwave. It works very well. I can't remember what brand it is, and it's in storage right now :( so I can't look. I will say, it has a removable base that supposedly somehow makes it work better.

Also, although a lot of people do it, using a paper bag is not recommended, as they can catch on fire.
  • saj6
    saj6 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    you can use a paper lunch bag, I can't remember how much popping corn to go in (you can probably look it up online) but I do know you can do it without any oil so it would be like air popped. I got a book from the library, it was all popcorn recipes, and the information was there. I guess I should have written it down! Sorry I can't help more, but you should be able to find the info with some googling :-)
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Just a quick question:)
    We don't have an air popper for popcorn, however we do have a microwave (if that helps!) am just wondering if anyone knows any great ways to pop popcorn without an air popper and without oil? :)

Thanks!

Haven't tried this, but heard of it before - how to pop popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave. Good luck!

http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2009/06/homemade-air-popped-microwaveable-popcorn/

If you are concerned about the bag catching on fire, it says you can also use a glass bowl with cover (or microwaveable plate). :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    If you do it on the stove, you have to tend to it pretty closely, or I'm just a bad "cook".

I use a normal microwave safe bowl to do it in the microwave, just throw a cheesecloth
    over top and use a towel to take the bowl out of the microwave (as it can get warm)
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I pop mine in the microwave in a paper bag all of the time. I just throw a handful into a brown paper lunch sack, fold it over twice and stand it up in the microwave. Mine only needs to cook for 2:15 (not as long as store bought microwave popcorn)...so watch that (you'll probably burn the first batch of two until you figure out how long it takes in your microwave). Eat it directly from the bag and no dishes to clean up!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I just take the kernels, put them in a non-stick pot with a lid, put it on medium heat and let 'em pop. You have to shake the pot pretty often, but it doesn't take long.

Don't do this if you have a ceramic/glass top stove, though! :)
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I use a popper myself...I know this is not the question you are asking, but wondering what you flavor the air popcorn with or if you leave it plain? I use salt but I still am not a real big fan...I miss the butter! So, far I have tried parmesan cheese..
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup good quality popcorn
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or popcorn salt
    Sprinkle jalapeno seasoning mix

Paper lunch bag
    Stapler

Directions

Toss the popcorn with the olive oil, salt, and jalapeno seasoning mix in the paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over and staple the bag twice to close. Place the bag in the microwave and microwave on high for 2 minutes to 3 minutes, or until there are about 5 seconds between pops.

NOTE: Popcorn salt is a super-fine salt that is designed especially for sticking to food such as popcorn. It has the taste of regular table salt, but its granules are much finer.
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to pop it in the microwave in a plastic bowl with a dinner plate ontop. If you use a paper bag it has to be a heavy duty one if you use a light weight one it will catch fire. QVC used to do a special bowl for the micro.
  • _kimberly_
    _kimberly_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been using a brown paper lunch bag; it works wonderfully!! Just put the popcorn inside and fold the bag over twice. I use 2 tablespoons of kernels and microwave for about 1min 45sec. This makes a good snack size for one person. With six spritzes of I can't believe it's not butter and a sprinkling of seasoning salt, it's about 87 calories! If you use 1/4 cup of kernels (4 tablespoons), it'll almost fill up the whole bag. I got the idea from here:

http://www.squawkfox.com/2010/07/27/popcorn-recipe-gourmet-popcorn/
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I also pop mine in a paper lunch bag in the microwave. I like to use just a little bit of oil. I weigh 40 grams of popcorn (about 3 tablespoons) and put that, 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, and some salt in a lunch bag, then microwave on high for 1:45.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Brown bag in the micro is my popping method of choice too! I use 1/4 cup of kernels in the bag, and season it when I dump it in the bowl. If making for the whole fam we use 1/3 cup kernels and it makes a nice big bowl to share. I have a rare microwave on which the popcorn setting actually works, but we have to add about 30 seconds for the 1/3 c bag. Comes out perfect every time. :smile:

Now I want popcorn and it's not even 8:30am. :tongue: