STaying under your calories without changing eating habits?

Options
I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that still stays under their calories without changing their eating habits...which may or may not include junk food. I plan NOT having to change my eating habits...but instead adapting to eating less and only eating until I am no longer hungry instead of eating until im "full"...just basically controlling how I eat. Plus the environment I live in all my healthy food is eaten before I can reach it lol. After I master eating proportionally then I probably will change what I am eating and completely cut out the junk food. Anyone else?

Replies

• Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When I first losing weight I went from eating massive portions of junk food to eating small portions of junk food...like I had the same dinners and kept eating white bread sandwiches, and was eating mini chocolate bars or baked potato crisps instead of the high calorie versions...I did lose weight doing this BUT I was constantly hungry, my body just wasn't getting the nutrients it needed. I slowly adapted my eating plan to include whole grains, fruit, veggies with dinner and lunch (which I once hated and now ADORE and couldn't live without...your taste buds really do change!) then I started having fruit & nut raw food bars instead of chocolate, or 70%+ dark chocolate (which takes getting used to but you start to love it and crave it, a little goes a long way and it is full of antioxidants!) I ditched diet soda after a long battle and now only drink water and teas, and I no longer take sugar in anything (porridge, tea, coffee etc) :) Now I don't eat meat for health and ethical reasons any more and I also don't drink milk as it bloats me and breaks me out (I have soy or almond milk instead!)

You need to take baby steps and change your habits slowly. It is impossible to come from a fatty, junky, fried food and soda filled diet to eating a healthy, clean diet...the portion thing is your main concern right now and that will take a while to get used to as you need to allow time for your stomach to shrink so you are satisfied with less! But NEVER starve yourself! :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, my aim is to stay under my calories, and also hit my macro goals (carbs, fat, protein)

I don't eat junk food (not regularly anyway) but if I want snacks or foods that are deemed "unhealthy" I will still eat them, as long as I hit all the goals I've mentioned. Naturally, this means that I don't eat as much of the things I used to eat, because I wouldn't hit my protein goal unless I went over, but it's more or less the same.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    People do it, I'm not one of them, but I'm sure it can be done. There are a couple of caveats though. (1) There are health benefits to eating healthier food that go beyond just weight loss. (2) A lot of people find it difficult to eat smaller servings of junkier foods. You know that thing about you can't just eat one lay's potato chip? Scientists are starting to see changes that take place in the brain when you eat foods that are high in sugar, fat, and salt. The result is that it may take a lot more willpower to put down a burger and fries when you first start to feel full, than it is to put down something like a salad, steamed, veggies, lean protein, etc..

I'd say the bottom line is, if you won't change your eating habits anyway, if you can manage to reduce portion size and lose weight, that is an improvement. And, if you do eventually transition to healthier eating habits, that is even better. As the first poster pointed out, change is usually easier and longer-lasting if you take a "baby steps" approach. Good luck to you!
  • tsimmsva
    tsimmsva Posts: 49
    Options
    I had to change my eating habits. I can still eat anything I want.....just not all day long. I pick and choose what treats I will allow myself and usually it's one treat a day. We still go out to eat at least once a week for a treat and I make sure I've walked briskly ...so I have alot of wiggle room with my calories. It does have a great deal to do with portion control. I still feel hungry when I'm done with some of my meals....but if I give it 10 minutes....my stomach catches up and I'm no longer hungry.

Also I just drink water now.....plenty of it !!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm not the "cleanest" eater in the world, but I've noticed that if I stick to my macros, then by default, I pretty much end up eating better. On occsasion, I've had to decide whether or not the 2 donuts are worth it. As someone previously mentioned, I can have the 2 donuts and carefully make all my goals, but I end up ravenous, as the donuts would not fill me up as much as that same caloric value of other foods.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've tried what you're talking about, but I find that once I eat a bit of calorie laden "junk", I'm still hungry! Instead of a small portion size of junk food, I can eat a ridiculously huge salad and feel nice and full. I can't sustain an eating pattern where I'm hungry, because I seriously hate being hungry.

That being said, eating high volumes of "healthy" foods is what is working for me. It might take some time to figure out what will work for YOU! Let us know how it goes!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's going to be very difficult to stick to this if you don't change your eating habits. I know because I tried this method myself at first and failed miserably. My advice is to include the food you really love in moderation but start making some changes, just a few at a time until you get where you're eating better quality food and enjoying it more. I've gotten now where I really cannot stand the food I used to eat and love. Never ever thought that'd be the case either.
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    For those of you who can still eat the junk food and lose weight, I envy you. It took me years to figure out that my body simply cannot tolerate sugar and processed foods. I would get bloated; feel sluggish and have absolutely no energy. Since I cleaned out the pantry, the scale is going down; I have not been bloated at all and I have a ton of energy. But, that's just me. I'm sure everyone is different. :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I've tried what you're talking about, but I find that once I eat a bit of calorie laden "junk", I'm still hungry! Instead of a small portion size of junk food, I can eat a ridiculously huge salad and feel nice and full. I can't sustain an eating pattern where I'm hungry, because I seriously hate being hungry.

That being said, eating high volumes of "healthy" foods is what is working for me. It might take some time to figure out what will work for YOU! Let us know how it goes!
    THIS ^^^ You can eat sooooo much more food if it isn't junk. I love to eat. Junk is so calorie dense that you'll be constantly hungry. No fun. If I eat a massive massive salad with lots of yummy veggies and a huge chicken breast, I'm stuffed but still have lots of calories to play with. For the same calories I could eat one small McDonald's hamburger...and be starving in an hour. I still have treats, but the more veg, fruit, protein (especially) you eat you'll be a lot more satisfied...and healthier!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I still eat the foods I love, but I exercise a LOT more, and I'm more conscious of what I'm eating.

So while I still chow down on half a DiGiorno rising crust pizza at least once a week, I used to have it two or three times a week, with a big breakfast, big lunch, and not a lot of exercise. Now I make sure it fits in my calories. Instead of just having a plate of Teriyaki chicken and rice, I add half a bag of Peking Blend frozen vegetables. Instead of having a candy bar, I have a protein bar that tastes like a candy bar. Instead of having Pop Tarts for breakfast, I have an English muffin with Nutella for about half the calories.
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    All of us on here trying to lose excess weight have one thing in common - it's our eating habits that have got us to this weight in the first place, so you will have to accept that you're going to have to make some changes along the way, no matter how small. There's some really good advice that's already been offered and I bet if you take a good look at all the things you like to eat, there will be more than you realise in the 'healthy' category. If you want to stay under your calories, you're going to have to up the healthy stuff to avoid being hungry the whole time. I promise you it will be worth it - I've found that since I upped my fruit, veg and lean protein my blood sugar levels have stabilised so I don't get 'hungry' as often and I don't crave some of the sugary, fatty foods I used to. And if other people are getting to the 'healthy' food before you do then find a secret stash place! I wish you all the very best xx
  • popsical101
    Options
    I havent changed mine at all im just more mindful of portion size if im hungry ill eat I dont worry about what it is if I fancy it I will eat it its all about moderation some days I even had to eat more x x x
  • beabelieve
    beabelieve Posts: 112
    Options
    After I master eating proportionally then I probably will change what I am eating and completely cut out the junk food.

*The sooner you change your eating habits, the easier this will be. If you like you continue eating the same unhealthy "junk", you WILL crash. We've all been there. Blood sugar levels play a huge role in being fat.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I still allow myself the occasional junk food. That being said, I prefer to try to eat as healthy as possible because I can eat more and stay within my calorie range. With junk food it isn't as filling and can take up more than a quarter of my daily calories in one serving.

Not to mention I just don't feel good when I eat too much junk. I find that if I eat foods that are high in sodium I bloat and it really does show on the scale.

Focusing on eating 80% good and allowing 20% room for 'error' is what I aim to do. Life is about moderation...and this is definitely true for junk food (for me anyways).
  • 5Pezzullo
    Options
    In theory calories are calories. However without eating the good things and not getting the exercise you are defeating the purpose.

I have found that the more you lose you will start to feel better and just naturally start to eat better. Good luck.
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have lost 38 pounds so far, but changing not so much WHAT I eat but HOW I eat, it is about portion control and making some better, more healthy choices.
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    I have not changed my eating habits a lot because I generally eat pretty healthy even with a few junky foods now and then. It is possible to do it but you will be hungry and sluggish if you only eat junk food. My days are a good breakfast of toast, eggs and some thing like ham or turkey sausages. Lunch is tuna with a little bit of mayo and pita bread with lettuce and tomato. Dinner usually chicken and rice with some veggie. I still have junky snacks every now and then. I do not deprive myself of anything I want because IF I do I won't stick to dieting at all. You have to learn moderation and portion control.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've mastered eating in moderation and choosing smart portion sizes, without having to sacrifice any foods I loves. I've always likes fruits and veggies, and I think I'm a great cook. So, by that token, there is not a lot of packaged food, fast food or restaurant food in my diary. But there are also lots of things like homemade waffles, pizza, ice cream, cupcakes, pasta dishes, cheese, etc.
  • wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    This just wouldn't be possible for me. I was eating lots of pasta, lots of bread, lots and lots of cheese and lots of very fatty convenience food (sausage rolls, pasties, snacky stuff). The only way I'd have done it if I was to exercise constantly all day :S It was my timetable that was causing the problems in the first place, so that wasn't an option.

I guess it depends on your eating habits to start with, mine were very bad, so that's what I've had to change for a start. Not only was I eating for convenience and very fatty or highly calorfic foods, but I was also not eating at breakfast and lunch as was always too busy...then I wouldpig at night, normally after the kids were in bed around 8pm then hit the sack at 10pm ready to be up at the crack of dawn the next day...all in all it was pretty rubbish.

So, like I said...I had to change, and I have and the results have been pretty bloomin good :happy:
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think if you start off with a large amount to lose you have enough calories each day that you can eat a bit of junk but as you lose weight your calorie allowance reduces & you gradually realise that you can have a lot more healthy food for your now reduced calorie allowance than you can junk food.
    Gradually your tastes change, same as your appetite reduces if you eat smaller portions. If you eat a balanced diet, practise moderation & have variety in your diet you will do yourself no harm by having some junk food, its all about moderation.
    When you have lost all your weight you will benefit from having learnt about portion sizes & about which fast foods or junk you can fit into your diet without disaster, some burgers contain almost a whole days calories, some fast food is quite acceptable if only eaten once a week, at least you will have learnt what flls you up, & how many calories are in your favourite choices.
    You do it your way I'm sure you will lose weight but just keep an open mind so if you are not feeling contented with what you are eating you can adapt