Replies

• pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Lift weights and eat your calorie maintenance.
  • nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member
    Options

I eat in the range of 1200-1400 usually. It just goes up and down. I don't think I ever took too few calories.

Thanks for the book suggestion!

This is why you havent lost much body fat.

Check this link below and see what you should be eating daily.

I think youll be very surprised!

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool. The BMR tool will give exact calories to eat on a daily basis. Add 20% to this number to get your TDEE. For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat each.<<<<<<<

It says my BMR is 1362 by Harris method and 1205 by Katch. So considering 1205, my TDEE is 1450 approx. So I should eat less than TDEE and more than BMR. So that's what I do. I try to eat between these two numbers.
    Sorry I don't understand what the macros are and 30% protein of what? Total calories? MFP gives me 45 gms proteins to eat, but I try to make it 50 gms or more....
  • nu2012
    Options
    I always eat 100g+ of protein a day.

I was going to suggest Kettlebells.
    It combines cardio with some strength and really helped me.

Is there a particular workout you would suggest? I have never used kettlebells.

To make 100gms of proteins,do you take protein shakes?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have protein shakes, sometimes protein bars (I like Balance Bars because they taste as good as a candy bar), but mostly I just add slightly larger portions of lean protein. IE, 6 oz of chicken instead of 3-4 oz.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, there are very few dads that can give you what lifting actual heavy weights can. The best part about really pushing yourself (HEAVY WEIGHTS, your purse weighs more than those five or ten pound weights you do videos with) is that you can see result rather quickly. I swear every time I lift that I can see more definition the next day.

A lot of women on here thinks that every woman's purse weighs more than 5 pounds and that's not true. Why? Every woman doesn't carry a big purse full of junk. Some women carry small purses.

I would love to hear that a woman that believes in lifting heavy, use 20 pound weights while doing a cardio sculpt workout. For example. I would love to hear them say that have used 20 pound weights doing Tae Bo Ripped. I'm sure they wouldn't do it.

Holding a weight for a long time will give you great muscle endurance. Doesn't do anything for building muscle.

To the OP: check out bod pod testing. You may have one in your area. It can cost up to 50-75 dollars, but it's supposed to be the most accurate way to measure body comp.

Bod Pod is free in my area to military personnel, dependents, and retirees. Many people qualified to use it will pay because they don't check the HAWC first. Also check your local hospitals and universities, some of them offer testing for free or at reduced rates.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    So what is the most accurate body fat % test? I had one done last June by a fitness professional using electrodes and it showed my bf to be 24%. I recently had a test done on some fancy scale by a dietician and it showed my bf as 31.7%. I just about cried as I'm down two sizes since June and have been working my butt off. I asked the dietician how the difference could be so large and she basically said, different tests give different results! I plan to go back for the same test after the summer to see the difference but I still have no idea what my bf% really is.

Blueberry09, for the electrodes test, how did the person test your body fat percentage: did you have to hold something or stand on something? How much did you weigh with a 24% body fat percentage and how much did you weigh with a 31.7% body fat percentage? How were you eating? I know you that eating plays an important role in decreasing or increasing body fat percentage.

My weight has pretty much stayed the same since last June. I'm on a major plateau even though ive lost inches. And no, I wasn't holding anything - it was kind of similar to the heart test the doctor asks for every year. The two different tests also produced two different BMRs - one 1605 and the other 1411. More confusion!

Okay, the fitness professional has given you a test similar to an EKG. Where did they put the electrodes on you? I didn't know that electrodes can tell how much fat is in your body.

You wanted to know what's your true body fat percentage? I would go with 31.7%. If you have a gym membership, ask them how much it would cost for you to get a body fat percentage test. Most gyms uses calipers and some uses the Omron Handheld Body Fat monitor like I have and if the gym uses both, ask them to use the monitor. The monitor's result should be the same or close to the body fat scale's result. You can take both numbers and add them up then divide it by two. That will be your body fat percentage and that number will match or be close to either of the devices, most likely the scale's number.

If you can, invest in a body fat scale and if you already have a scale and don't want to buy another one, then invest in a Omron handheld body fat monitor.
  • methodless
    Options
    I'm wondering about your protein intake. MFP's setting is fairly low. You should eat 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. For me, that is over 100 g of protein a day. It can be a struggle to get all of that protein in, but I still make the effort. It is the only macro I really pay any attention to.

This word for word is almost what I was going to say
    You need to consume enough protein to maintain your muscle or you will lose it with the fat

Your body fat % will likely drop as you desire, but it will only because you lost more fat than muscle - not because you lost just fat and not muscle. I have found that increasing my protein consumption causes me to eat less calories as well - so it's not an unbearable slowdown
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been working with clients on fat loss for several years, my recommendations would be to combine heavy weight training (weights you can lift for no more then 5-6 reps without losing form and doing 3-5 sets of each exercise with a 2-4 minute rest between sets and a variety of exercises for the total body without repeating the same muscle group two days in a row) followed by cardio to get the most fat burn for your exercise time. Circuit training, resistance for endurance (light weight and high repetition), toning classes, etc. are great for working the type one muscle fibers that are needed for those types of activities, but the heavy weights are needed to work the type 2 muscle fibers that are what have to be worked so they aren't broken down and burned in place of fat during the workouts. The cardio after working those type two fibers from heavy weight training will burn primarily body fat because the muscle glycogen will have been mostly used by the weights first. As for nutrition, the 1200 calorie rule is not accurate for everyone. In fact, it is not accurate for most people. Ideally, to burn fat while maintaining or even gaining lean tissue (yes you can gain lean tissue on a deficit but it is additional glycogen storage that is needed to fuel the heavy weights not muscle fibers for the first 4-6 months), I recommend finding an estimate of your total daily energy expenditure that is determined based on your body composition, activity level, and exercise and eating no less then 80% of that. So, if you add your BMR and activity not counting exercise and your exercise Calories burned and get a TDEE of 2000 Calories for the day, then you should eat no less then 1600 Calories that day so that the body doesn't look to muscle for Calories to burn instead of body fat. If you need help figuring your Calorie needs, PM me and I'll be glad to figure it for you.

Hi Tonya,

Just out of curiosity, your recommendation to eat 80% of TDEE, is that before or after exercise? In other words, should my total calories or net calories be at 80% of TDEE?

Forget the whole Net thing. That's a construct of MFP. Depending on which formula you use, you will either have a TDEE estimate that includes exercise or one that doesn't. MFP uses one that doesn't and sets your goal based on one or two pounds per week loss instead of 80% of TDEE. I personally set my goal calories at maintenance and then let MFP add the exercise calories then figure 80% of the total with or without exercise. That sounds confusing, I'm sure, so here's an example to help you see it.

If Maintenance is 2000 calories and the person doesn't exercise, then 2000 x 0.8 = 1600 MINIMUM Calories. So that person should consume somewhere between 1600 and 2000 Calories that day. Notice that even if they eat at the minimum, there is only a 400 Calorie deficit, so not even a pound a week loss. If they then exercise and burn 500 Calories, then the new TDEE is 2500 Calories. 2500 x 0.8 = 2000 MINIMUM Calories. So on this day, the person should consume between 2000 and 2500 Calories. If they are exactly on point eating the minimum, that is only 1 pound a week loss. If this person sets their goal at 2 pounds per week loss, then MFP would automatically give them a 1200 Calorie plan, which will promote weight loss, but not fat loss because it is too much of a deficit. So, this person should set their goal at 2000 calories so that MFP will automatically add those exercise Calories for them and then they only have to do one calculation daily. After they exercise, they should multiply their total Calorie Goal by 0.8 and make sure they consume at least that much that day.
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is TDEE?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    So what is the most accurate body fat % test? I had one done last June by a fitness professional using electrodes and it showed my bf to be 24%. I recently had a test done on some fancy scale by a dietician and it showed my bf as 31.7%. I just about cried as I'm down two sizes since June and have been working my butt off. I asked the dietician how the difference could be so large and she basically said, different tests give different results! I plan to go back for the same test after the summer to see the difference but I still have no idea what my bf% really is.

Okay, first of all, both of the tests you did were Bio-Electrical Impedance tests. The one with the electrodes on the hand and foot are the most accurate BEI. (Some people use the abbreviation of BIA for Bio-Electrical Impedance Analysis, but I use the abbreviation that my professors used in my Bachelors, but it's the same thing if you see it as BIA elsewhere.) The reason for this is because BEI uses an electrical current going through the body to determine body fat. The faster the current moves the lower the body fat. Because the electrodes are placed on the hand and the foot, the current goes though one side of the body instead of through either the top or bottom half. With the handheld monitors, the current goes through the upper portion of the body from hand to hand. This can throw off the reading and make it appear smaller if most of your body fat is in the hips and thighs. It can also throw it off and make it appear like you have more body fat if you have large breasts and very little body fat elsewhere in the body. The scales are similar in that the electrical current goes from foot to foot and runs through the hips, thighs, and abdomen. If you are pear shaped and carry all your body fat there, then they will estimate a higher body fat then is accurate. If you are apple shaped, then they will estimate a lower body fat then is accurate. It sounds to me like you are pear shaped and the dietitians scale is over estimating your body fat because of it.

As for what is most accurate, the gold standard is hydrostatic weighing. Basically, it works on the principle that fat will float since it is less dense then water so when you are weighed underwater, you are weighing lean only. Lean tissue will displace more water then fat tissue because of the density of each. DEXA is being considered by many as the new gold standard in that it is literally pictures of the body and estimates of body fat based on measurements of the pictures. The drawback to DEXA is that it is very expensive and usually only available in hospitals or large universities. (My school just got a DEXA and I volunteered to come in and be their practice dummy for the class behind me so that I have the opportunity to learn to use it since they didn't have it when I was in class there.) Bod Pod is similar to hydrostatic weighing in that it is a measurement of air displacement instead of water displacement. It has been shown to be accurate to within +/- 2-4% when compared to both hydrostatic weighing and DEXA.

BEI is the next most accurate if it is done with the electrodes at the hand and foot (+/- 2.7% compared to hydrostatic weighing). If it is the handheld or scale (+/- 3.5%), the accuracy is about the same as skinfolds done by a trained professional. Skinfolds are great in that they can be an inexpensive option and are pretty accurate (+/- 3.5% when compared to hydrostatic weighing) if done by a trained professional. The drawback to skinfolds is that if you have someone who hasn't been trained and practiced in how to use them, then they can be as much as 12% off. Circumference measurements that are then calculated into a body fat percentage are considered the least accurate, but are often the cheapest to do.

Regardless of which method you choose to use, the best practice is to pick one method and stick with it. Track the changes over time as opposed to being super focused on the total number if you are using a method that isn't considered very accurate (IE: circumferences).
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the total of your basal metabolic rate (BMR), normal daily activity not counting exercise, energy cost of digestion of food (Yes, you burn calories digesting your food. Protein burns more then carbs which burn more then fat.), and planned exercise. The energy cost of digestion is already accounted for in the estimation of Calories from foods. We figure protein at 4 Calories per gram when it is actually around 5.5 Calories per gram (Sorry, I don't have my books in front of me to give you the exact number on that but it is close to 5.5 or 5.6.) so the decrease in Calories calculated when we look at the grams of protein ingested accounts for the amount of energy required to break it down. Same with carbs and fat. MFP uses a formula to estimate the RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate, when the term is used as resting from your exercise plan, not complete bed rest as that is BMR) which is the BMR and the normal daily activity not counting exercise. If you don't exercise, then your TDEE is the maintenance Calorie estimate that MFP gives you. If you exercise, then MFP adds the exercise Calories to your calorie goal for the day giving you a new TDEE.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nu2012
    Options

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the total of your basal metabolic rate (BMR), normal daily activity not counting exercise, energy cost of digestion of food (Yes, you burn calories digesting your food. Protein burns more then carbs which burn more then fat.), and planned exercise. The energy cost of digestion is already accounted for in the estimation of Calories from foods. We figure protein at 4 Calories per gram when it is actually around 5.5 Calories per gram (Sorry, I don't have my books in front of me to give you the exact number on that but it is close to 5.5 or 5.6.) so the decrease in Calories calculated when we look at the grams of protein ingested accounts for the amount of energy required to break it down. Same with carbs and fat. MFP uses a formula to estimate the RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate, when the term is used as resting from your exercise plan, not complete bed rest as that is BMR) which is the BMR and the normal daily activity not counting exercise. If you don't exercise, then your TDEE is the maintenance Calorie estimate that MFP gives you. If you exercise, then MFP adds the exercise Calories to your calorie goal for the day giving you a new TDEE.

So we should eat the new TDEE given by MFP?
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options

So we should eat the new TDEE given by MFP?

If you have your deficit set by MFP, then yes, you should eat the new TDEE given by MFP because it already has the deficit built in to meet the goal you set of how many pounds per week you want to lose. If you were to figure your TDEE prior to exercise and set it as your goal without any subtractions for weight loss, then you let MFP add your exercise Calories, then you should eat at least 80% of the new TDEE after exercise is added but no more then TDEE.
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options

This, within itself, makes sense to me. However... MFP calculates my BMR (using the tool) at a little below 1800 calories. Then when I allow MFP to auto-set my calories based on my goals, weight, height, etc. it sets it at 1210 calories. This is where the confusion comes in. I have ppl on forums saying that I sould never eat below my BMR, which is slightly below 1800 according to the tool on that same forum. But the site itself telling me to eat far below that number. What am I to think or do? I'm no expert at this. I just want to lose weight an be healthy and not take a million years to do it. There's just too much conflicting info out there.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options

This, within itself, makes sense to me. However... MFP calculates my BMR (using the tool) at a little below 1800 calories. Then when I allow MFP to auto-set my calories based on my goals, weight, height, etc. it sets it at 1210 calories. This is where the confusion comes in. I have ppl on forums saying that I sould never eat below my BMR, which is slightly below 1800 according to the tool on that same forum. But the site itself telling me to eat far below that number. What am I to think or do? I'm no expert at this. I just want to lose weight an be healthy and not take a million years to do it. There's just too much conflicting info out there.

You've set your goal to 2 pounds per week loss haven't you? From those numbers, it looks like MFP has figured an 1800 BMR and added a little over 20% for your daily activity (giving you a maintenance of 2210) and then subtracted 1000 Calories for a 2 pound per week loss. MFP follows the old standard of 500 calories per day deficit for a pound of weight per week loss. While this is fine for really large people who have a lot to lose, it can be too much of a deficit for someone who is closer to goal or trying to focus on fat loss and not muscle loss. Any recommendations I give, and the advice to not eat below BMR that is often seen on the forums, are based on losing primarily body fat and maintaining lean body mass. Also, MFP uses the standard of 1200 Calories as what not to go under. This is incorrect for a lot of people, but due to the constraints of computer program for the masses of people on here it is simpler then doing a calculation of 80% of TDEE for goal calories and setting bottom limits of BMR values. If my assumptions about what MFP did are correct, then I would suggest eating between 1768 and 2210 Calories per day. Check your goals page on here and see what the number of Calories Burned from Normal Daily Activity are as that is what people on here call maintenance, but is the TDEE before exercise. Eat between that and 80% of that on the days you don't exercise. I'd also set that as the goal so that you can have an easy time of figuring your Calorie needs by taking your new daily goal after exercise and multiplying by 0.8 to get the minimum you should eat.
  • nu2012
    Options
    My goal has been to lose 0.5 lbs per week and when I ate all my exercise calories back,I wasn't losing at all. So I eat only some back.
    Actually it seems like the maximum I can lose per week is 0.5 lbs because of the fact that I have to take a minimum of 1200 calories.

So for strength training, should I just add some exercises to my cardio routine?