Starting again ....

Options
and need new friends. I'm a single parent to a 7 yr old and need to lose at least 100 lb ... well really 120 is where I would like to get.

Not as motivated as I would like to be but I have to get there. I think mostly because I was doing this before and allowed myself to get distracted and have gained 10 # in the last 6-8 weeks. UGH.

What has worked for some of you to get your 'mojo' back?

Replies

• slatorade
    slatorade Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am starting again as well. I have stayed at the same weight now for about a year, but need to lose 30lbs.
    I joined MFP some time ago and was doing very well for the first month or so, but have totally fallen off track.
    I think what I have totally neglected is the support piece. So trying to be better about receiving and giving support this time around and hoping I can see a 10lb lose at first and gradually get to the 30lb lose.
  • amie0724
    amie0724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We all fall , the key is to get up and continue . I suggest walking and get the blood moving . Put on your head phones and take it slow . The excercise will get the blood moving and that will set off a chemical in our body ,called endorphines. I believe being over weight is a medical condition or an emotional issue . Having an image of who you want to be next year ,will help:wink:
  • Sissy1964
    Options
    Me too...been yoyo'ing all my life. I'm 47 now. Mojo, motivation, whatever we're calling it is the million dollar question; how to change habits, stay motivated, finding foods we like, finding energy, not getting discouraged, forgiving bad days, etc.
    I think we all have to keep talking and sharing and finding answers in those posts because the answers are different for everyone and someone might have an idea or trick that helps.
    Speaking for myself, I'm here for anyone that needs to talk. :wink:
  • stormy44wi
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think the key for me too is water. I know before when I was drinking 8-10 glasses of water I had so much energy. I've also as far as goal changed my WL weekly goal from 2 lbs to 1.5. Maybe the extra calories will make me more creative with cooking. Before I was having mostly chicken or fish for dinner so I probably got a bit bored from that.
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    We all fall , the key is to get up and continue . I suggest walking and get the blood moving . Put on your head phones and take it slow . The excercise will get the blood moving and that will set off a chemical in our body ,called endorphines. I believe being over weight is a medical condition or an emotional issue . Having an image of who you want to be next year ,will help:wink:

well said
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Single parent to 7 yr old as well, definately hard to find that "me time" but MFP has helped motivate me a lot just in the short time that I have been on here. On my own I also always try to keep in mind that I am setting an example for my little one and I want her to be strong and healthy and learn good habits for life.
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

^^^ Agreed! ^^^ Just keep moving forward!
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    All I can say is...

When I start getting out-of-line, I remind myself that I'm working for the end result, not the pleasure I will have for 30 seconds while eating.

If you stop losing weight, change up your intake some. It can confuse your metabolism, but get it up and running again. It helps me get over plateaus.

You can't eat healthy and exercise and STAY unhealthy/obese/etc. Eating Healthy and exercising right may take a long time, but it does take a lot of dedication.

Drop friends that force you to eat out a lot with them, or say, "Oh, this cake won't do any harm!" or "Just drop the diet for today", and pick up some buddies that are sick of the old routine and want to change themselves for the better, too. Adopt some gym-buddies, or just have friends in the same situation. THE HARDEST part about losing weight is when you try to do it ALONE.

I believe you can do it! :D Good luck, friend!
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    To keep myself on track and to motivate myself to work harder if I slip up, I remember and picture the body I want, and what it will feel like to be in it. Like movement without pain or stiffness, or running and not feeling winded or exhausted. And always reminding myself that anything is possible if you are patient and stick with what works.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    We all fall off once in awhile. What's important is that you recognize things aren't going well and you get back into the groove.

Make sure you aren't restricting yourself too severely. I've found that when I'm too strict with myself? I tend to fall off more often. Allowing myself to enjoy food still has definitely helped keep me on track. No, it doesn't mean eating an entire cake by myself, but if I want a piece of cake - I just eat the dang thing.

If you get bored with things easily, make sure you have back up ideas on how to shake things up - whether it be food or exercise. Boredom breeds giving up because you dread having to do it AGAIN.

Set small weight loss goals instead of focusing on the bigger picture (which can be a daunting thing). Setting 10lb weight loss goals will make the journey far more sustainable.

Good Luck!
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My little one is seven (just turned on February 28th :)) and I am feeling you something fierce. I was 107 lbs heavier than I am now when I gave birth, lost 100 lbs, then stopped trying to get to goal for two years. Finally, a few years ago, I gained back 35lbs.

Last year around September I decided enough was enough and started over. Still have another 24 - 33 lbs left to lose before I hit goal, but it's freakin time! :)

Would love to be friends.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I am joining again too. I never did the community board thing and I hope it helps. Getting back on track rather than beating yourself up will get you there. I was 227 the last time I started, got down to 164 and then went back up to 202. I was really depressed about it and then I realized that instead of accepting it, I am doing something about it. So instead of hating myself I am giving myself a pat on the back because I am not staying down and neither are you girl! Get at it and smile!
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    and need new friends. I'm a single parent to a 7 yr old and need to lose at least 100 lb ... well really 120 is where I would like to get.

Not as motivated as I would like to be but I have to get there. I think mostly because I was doing this before and allowed myself to get distracted and have gained 10 # in the last 6-8 weeks. UGH.

What has worked for some of you to get your 'mojo' back?

I joined MFP, lost 14 pounds, then gained 24! It took me weeks and weeks of waking up each day and saying 'today's going to be different' before I actually got back into it. For me the change was I became busy again, after three months of no job I finally got a place on my final clinical placement at university and now I don't have time to eat excessive amounts and the cravings have died down.

My advice? Fill your time with anything other than nothing.
  • Craigcf
    Craigcf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I used MFP for a while and was doing great... until I damaged my knee running on the beach! I slowly started putting weight back on even though I was eating sensibly. Nearly a year later, and my knee is fully recovered. I've started building up gradually, starting with fast walking, and now I'm running around 4-5 miles on a circular route. I feel so much better, and to be honest MFP is pretty much key to staying focused and motivated. I wish you all the success with your goals.

Craig
  • stormy44wi
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - you guys are great!