Where am I going wrong?

Hi. I've been a member on MFP for 11 weeks. Had lost 13lbs a couple of weeks ago then gained 4lbs, so I'm now at 9lbs loss in 11 weeks - which I think sucks!

Please help, where am I going wrong:

I am current 210lbs 5ft 8"
I exercise a minimum of 3 x 1 hour intense cardio sessions per week (sometimes more - lately I've been doing more)
I eat between 1200 and my BMR which is 1580.
I generally eat at least half if not all of my exercise calories back (although sometimes it's late so haven't - but usually do)
I have now started taken a protein shake in replacement for breakfast.
I also take L-carnitine (which is suppose to help with muscle repair and fat loss)
I drink between 2 and 3 litres of water a day (any coffee, tea etc goes in my diary as an extra - bascially I only count water as water!)
I'm always lower than MFP in my sodium.
I eat plenty of vegetables, not much fruit (allergic to citrus)
I'm eating more protein.
I log absolutely everything I eat and the majority of my food is home-made so I know exactly what has gone in and the portion sizes.

I just don't get why I am the same on the scale and also in measurements. I honestly don't know where I'm going wrong.

It's great to see people losing 0.5 or 1lb each week, consistently, but it also p**ses me off cos I just don't seem to be benefitting from all the exercise etc that I'm putting in.

Help! x

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Hey Christine! So sorry to hear you're struggling with the weight loss! You know that I know how frustrating that is. I'm in the same boat! Only 13 pounds lost since Dec. 30! Or, if you go by my official doctor's office record, only 9!

Sounds like you are doing everything right too. I know you eat pretty healthy, all in all as I've spied on your diary a number of times already. The only advice I can offer is try cycling your calories. Either have a spike day, or alternate between eating your BMR and your goal calories, switching every few days. Keep your body guessing. Also, I know people are going to tell you to never eat less than your BMR. Maybe that would be good for you too? Increase by 100-200 calories for a month, see how it goes? With your stats (height and weight), you may need to eat more!
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Hey Christine,

I don't know the answers to whats up with you weight loss. However, I will tell you that I'm on everyday and if you need support you can always send me a message and I'll be on your side. No matter what...!

Just a thought!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    A 4 pound gain can easily be water retention. Other than that, do you weigh your food? Do you use a HRM for recording calories?

You make your own meals, and while that's great, unless you are individually weighing the ingredients and making only single serving dishes for yourself, than you cant really tell what's in "one serving". When I make home prepared meals, I weigh every ingredient for the part the meal that I'm going to eat.

Nine pounds in eleven weeks is still over a half pound a week (nearly one pound a week). Just keep at it and the results will come.

Good luck :)
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    A 4 pound gain can easily be water retention. Other than that, do you weigh your food? Do you use a HRM for recording calories?

You make your own meals, and while that's great, unless you are individually weighing the ingredients and making only single serving dishes for yourself, than you cant really tell what's in "one serving". When I make home prepared meals, I weigh every ingredient for the part the meal that I'm going to eat.

Nine pounds in eleven weeks is still over a half pound a week (nearly one pound a week). Just keep at it and the results will come.

Good luck :)

Hi. I do use a hrm which I change my weight whenever there is a weight change. I also do measure out everything for my home made meals and portion it out. I honestly thought that being the size that I am I would have lost more. It's so demotivating. X
  • ChristineDiet
    Hey Christine,

I don't know the answers to whats up with you weight loss. However, I will tell you that I'm on everyday and if you need support you can always send me a message and I'll be on your side. No matter what...!

Just a thought!
    Thanks. That's very sweet. I may just have to take you up on that. X
  • ChristineDiet
    Hey Christine! So sorry to hear you're struggling with the weight loss! You know that I know how frustrating that is. I'm in the same boat! Only 13 pounds lost since Dec. 30! Or, if you go by my official doctor's office record, only 9!

Sounds like you are doing everything right too. I know you eat pretty healthy, all in all as I've spied on your diary a number of times already. The only advice I can offer is try cycling your calories. Either have a spike day, or alternate between eating your BMR and your goal calories, switching every few days. Keep your body guessing. Also, I know people are going to tell you to never eat less than your BMR. Maybe that would be good for you too? Increase by 100-200 calories for a month, see how it goes? With your stats (height and weight), you may need to eat more!
    Ok I really don't get how you haven't lost more. You workout crazy. It's just not fair! You look at others who are doing less, eating more but seem to he losing! Hopefully both us will just drop lots in one go to make up for everything. X
  • ChristineDiet

Ok I really don't get how you haven't lost more. You workout crazy. It's just not fair! You look at others who are doing less, eating more but seem to he losing! Hopefully both us will just drop lots in one go to make up for everything. X
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    If your BMR is 1580 you need to be NETting that. You are eating too low for your bodies need and it is holding onto the excess weight.

Have you also considered adding strength training to your exercise routine?
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    It sounds like you are having a plateau. How about you take a little break? Change your goal for the next two weeks and relax a little bit. I suggest changing your goal to 1/2 loss a week and eat back exercise. When I did this I actually lost weight. I was doing everything right as well, but my weekly weight loss goal was too aggressive. Just a suggestion.
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    If your BMR is 1580 you need to be NETting that. You are eating too low for your bodies need and it is holding onto the excess weight.

I second this, it sounds coy ter-intuitive but I think you're eating too little. I've been in the same situation for a few months and when I increased calories from 1300 to 1800 I started losing again. It was scary to increase but it was the right decision for me.
    Theresa
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    You need to eat more. At least your BMR. Remember that your BMR is the BASE amount of calories your body needs just to function by just laying in bed all day. Try adding about 200-300 calories to your diet daily. Also, if your only working out 3x a week, try adding another day. I know it can be very difficult, but I think the results you will find will be amazing!
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Hi Christine,
    I have just put my scales in a place that I can't get easy access to them. They were driving me to distraction.
    I would like to lose about 18lbs to put me right where I should be. Last year I lost it through just dieting and being sensible. Towards the end of the year I put most of it back on again as my activity level (Mostly tennis) dropped with the shorter nights. I thought it would be pretty simple to lose it again but this year I am having real trouble. The only difference this year is that I am doing a circuit training class with heavy weights 2 to 3 times per week, (on top of the tennis) and so think that the muscle mass is confusing things a bit. I have actually gained 4 lb since joining MFP which is really disheartening especially since I am being really quite strict with myself. 500 calories under my target every day and always eat back my defect. Sometimes it just seems so counter intuitive that I wonder if I am doing things wrong. Yesterday for example, according to my HRM I burned 3600 calories playing 4 hours of tennis, and then went to circuit training for an hour in the evening. So I ate them back which is actually quite difficult to do!

The good news is that I feel so much fitter this year than I did when I lost it all last year. I had practically no muscle mass and couldn't play tennis for more than an hour without thinking I was about to die.

So in summary.. fit and overweight according to my BMI, or slim and on point with my BMI but not able to do much? So confused!!

Ian
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Since I do know your 'habits' somewhat, I think everyone is right. You are eating too little for your height, weight and activity level. I know you were planning on adding in strength and I think once you do, it will change your entire plateau.

Please don't be so hard on yourself...like someone has already said, you have basically lost half to a full pound per week. That's alot to be proud of!

Always your biggest Cheerleader! xo
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member

I second this, it sounds coy ter-intuitive but I think you're eating too little. I've been in the same situation for a few months and when I increased calories from 1300 to 1800 I started losing again. It was scary to increase but it was the right decision for me.
    Theresa

I third this. I calculate that you should be eating between 1700 and 2200 calories which would probably net you at 1600 or so. I am almost a foot shorter than you and I eat a little less than that and I am still losing.

If you don't want a big jump or to deal with a little gain while upping your calories, I would up your calories about 100-200 per week until you get where you need to be.

If you are using a good HRM I would suggest to eat ALL your exercise calories

Netting less that your BMR can cause alot of problems in the long run with your metabolism and losing muscle instead of fat. Its good that you change it now so you don't have to deal with that!
  • nicd100
    nicd100 Posts: 14
    Hi Christine,
    I lose most weight when I have a maintenance calorie day (or just over) approx every 10 days - I also keep my metabolism on its toes by mixing my calories up through the week so really just look at my weekly intake - i find the weekly cals summary on the mobile app is best visually for this.
    When you exercise lots, like you are doing, you body needs the fuel so make sure you are also getting enough carbs and i agree with others maybe try increasing intake slightly.
    Everyone is different you've got to find what works for you. Keep up the exercise.
    You can do it xxx
  • ChristineDiet
    Thanks guys. You are awesome. I hear you, I should eat more but that scares the hell out of me. I've got my holiday in 8 weeks and I don't want to gain. 2 dress sizes in now 8 weeks just seems like an unrealistic joke! Can't go to the gym now because of costs! So may have to up the steps and dumbbells and the 30ds. So sick of being fat! Ugh.

X
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member

Theresa

I third this. I calculate that you should be eating between 1700 and 2200 calories which would probably net you at 1600 or so. I am almost a foot shorter than you and I eat a little less than that and I am still losing.

If you don't want a big jump or to deal with a little gain while upping your calories, I would up your calories about 100-200 per week until you get where you need to be.

If you are using a good HRM I would suggest to eat ALL your exercise calories

Netting less that your BMR can cause alot of problems in the long run with your metabolism and losing muscle instead of fat. Its good that you change it now so you don't have to deal with that!

This times infinaty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know if you want some help... I have been eating more since the turn of the new year and see great results :wink:
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    That is an average of almost a pound per week- a very healthy, normal loss. It is natural to want the weight to fly off quickly, especially when we work so hard, but you are losing just fine. As long as it is consistent, and it seems to be, except fhe slight gain, which is also normal. But you are doing great, just keep it up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member

Seems to me you answered your own question, here. I just thought I'd BOLD it for you.....:wink:
  • 10iss
    10iss Posts: 9
    For Acersfield,
    The only thing I would ask is, are you judging the burnt calories on singles or doubles?
    I play doubles, and when I play singles, there is a huge difference.
    The muscle gain is also an issue - don't get caught up on the scale, but rather how you feel in your clothing, or in the mirror.
    I have gone up and down for the last 4 years....my Cleveland Clinic Dr. did say that I really need to replace some of my carbs with protein. I have done that and this past week, it has become evident that is really the key for me.
    Good Luck!!