I upped my calories 1 week ago.....

Options
And have lost 2 pounds. I feel better, more energy. Less like I'm on a diet, I can eat what I want I just log it. I really am happy and I hope it keeps up.

I know others have done this and I would love to hear your failures and success with it.

Replies

• Amanwall3
    Amanwall3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I upped my calories to equal my BMR over 3 weeks ago, eat back exercise calories, and have gained 3 lbs. I am going to drop my calories back down to the MFP suggested caloric intake and try that for a while. I was also wondering if others have seen success with eating at their BMR calories.
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    And have lost 2 pounds. I feel better, more energy. Less like I'm on a diet, I can eat what I want I just log it. I really am happy and I hope it keeps up.

I know others have done this and I would love to hear your failures and success with it.

Congrats! I plateaued for 19 weeks eating 1200-1300 cal day and 60 min elliptical and weights 5 days a week. I met with a nutritionist and upped my calories to
    1500 and now 1800 and am finally losing weight again. After the increase, I'm finally losing again, 2 pounds last week to bring my total to 10 pounds. Honestly, it's a bit scary to eat that much but t really seems to be working better.
    Theresa
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    [
    Congrats! I plateaued for 19 weeks eating 1200-1300 cal day and 60 min elliptical and weights 5 days a week. I met with a nutritionist and upped my calories to
    1500 and now 1800 and am finally losing weight again. After the increase, I'm finally losing again, 2 pounds last week to bring my total to 10 pounds. Honestly, it's a bit scary to eat that much but t really seems to be working better.
    Theresa
    [/quote]

Sorry, darn iPad and fat fingers-I plateaued for 10 weeks, not 19 weeks
    Theresa
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I was on a 6 week plateau, eating 1200 cals a day, burning around 600 that I mostly ate back. Bumped up to my BMR of 1430 cals, eating most of my exercise cals and, after a week of adjustment (gained about 2 pounds), I lost four pounds. Also, I upped my water and protein intake and try to avoid processed food as best I can. I do better when I do that, but I don't always succeed.

I've recently increased my weight training, so that might have something to do with my loss.

I feel like I can sustain this caloric level without a lot of discomfort. I'll reassess my BMR after 10 lbs lost to adjust.

Maybe raising your calories slowly, by 100-200 calories at a time, will help with the gain?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I upped my calories to equal my BMR over 3 weeks ago, eat back exercise calories, and have gained 3 lbs. I am going to drop my calories back down to the MFP suggested caloric intake and try that for a while. I was also wondering if others have seen success with eating at their BMR calories.

What is your BMR and your TDEE?

have a look here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • Amanwall3
    Amanwall3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladyraven. I checked this site and it shows that my BMR is 1798 and caloric intake @ sedentary = 1807. I have been using the MFP BMR calculated at 1719. Hmmm. From here I do not know whether to raise my calories to 1798 or lower them... Any suggestions?

Thanks !
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Nice! May I ask what you were eating before calorie wise and how much you upped your intake to?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congratulations on joining the ranks of, "Those who finally get it."
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Nice! May I ask what you were eating before calorie wise and how much you upped your intake to?

My diary is open. Not sure if you meant me or not. I was eating 1200 and upped to 1460. But today I am upping again because I learned my BMR is 1603 and understand I should be eating more then that. Guess I will see how it goes.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congratulations on joining the ranks of, "Those who finally get it."

Thanks I think I'm learning slowly but surely.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options

My diary is open. Not sure if you meant me or not. I was eating 1200 and upped to 1460. But today I am upping again because I learned my BMR is 1603 and understand I should be eating more then that. Guess I will see how it goes.

I did mean you. ;) Thanks!