Understanding Muscle Gain: Exercising.

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Let me just add that 1 week is not enough time to detect any measurable changes in body composition--it is not enough time for any significant changes to occur.

As others have said, there are a number of short-term adaptations that occur when starting an exercise program after being sedentary that can show up as "gains" on the scale. These are not increases in muscle. They are due to various fluid shifts, increased muscle glycogen storage, and increased plasma volume. Not everyone experiences these changes in a mesureable way, but they can occur and can account for the scale changes you have described.

The method of estimating body fat that you describe is notoriously inaccurate. It also cannot detect changes in a week's time. Taking circumference measurements is an excellent way to track fat loss, but only as a relative measure--i.e. a decrease in waist size of 5" over 3 months means you are definitely losing fat, regardless of scale weight. I strongly recommend recording a variety of circumference measurements. However, they will not give you a reliable "body fat percentage" number.

Stick with your program--you are taking the first steps to a healthier body and healthier life.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. Muscle takes up less area in body then fat does. Lots of times when I wasn't losing weight I lost in inches. I weigh once a week and measure once a month. I did the recommended areas listed on here at first and added more later. Wish I had beginning measurements of more body areas. Like for example chest area. After a while I started measuring under chest area since I was losing inches in chest area and when I started measuring under chest I realized that those inches lost were actually on back and sides.