Sticking to the paremeter of the grocery store

Options
I found a tip on bodybuilding.com that applies to everyone when it comes to eating healthy. All the real foods are on the paremeter of the store, avoid the aisles. This is where the non-processed goods are, the foods your body can break down and utilize most of it. Avoid the filler calories and you can stick to your caloric intake goals!

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    It also comes down to self control. If your resolve is weak enough that you buy the junk and the bad foods when you see them, then it's not going to help. I shop for two people and the other person doesn't eat healthy so I have to go in the aisles but I learned to just go for what I'm there for and not browse or stir up a craving. When you're shopping for one, going the parameter is probably easier, but when it's not just you (especially if you have kids), it's not gonna happen.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, I heard of that too, and I never took that recommendation very seriously.

All cleaning products, coffee, tea, peanut butter, canned beans, rice, quinoa ,wheat pasta, paper goods, etc. are in the middle aisles (at least they are in my supermarket), so we need to visit those areas once in awhile too.

We can’t avoid temptations all the time; we just need to develop will power, be strong ,and resist it.

PS: I know that my answer will probably start a long discussion :ohwell:
  • kenscarlson
    kenscarlson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, I heard of that too, and I never took that recommendation very seriously.

All cleaning products, coffee, tea, peanut butter, canned beans, rice, quinoa ,wheat pasta, paper goods, etc. are in the middle aisles (at least they are in my supermarket), so we need to visit those areas once in awhile too.

We can’t avoid temptations all the time; we just need to develop will power, be strong ,and resist it.

PS: I know that my answer will probably start a long discussion :ohwell:

Your right, will power is a finite resource, it simply cant be on 100% of the day. Our goals, our morals/values, our incentives to fight all urges we have in life are the reason we act/dont act on all human impulses. When your reason to fight back is stronger than the urge you have is when you will find success.

My advice is, if you have kids try and shop w/out them. If you have a partner who isnt trying to eat healthy like you let them have their own cubbard in the kitchen. When shopping, put on your game face and tell the people around you your taking a stand and they arent going to get in the way of your goals because it means tha much to you.
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    you also have to look up on the higher shelves because thats where the healthier foods are too. The sugary junk is usually at eye level especially in the cereal aisles. Clean and green is always on the perimeters.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    So true
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I find it makes for a faster shopping trip as well. :happy: