Why is this not working?

Hello all,
I have been using my fitness pal for 7 weeks and have seen no change! Please help!
I am 5'3" and around 140 pounds (I fluctuate from 138-141). My goal is 125.
I have been eating around 1200 calories a day (sometimes more like 1300) but even then I should be losing something.
I work out 4-5 times a week, usually doing cardio but I try to through some weight lifting or rock climbing in a few times a week.
I haven't changed my diet all that much since starting my work out, just limiting the amount of calories. I have lowered my pop intake, starting make healthy smoothies for breakfast, and limiting my portion sizes on all other things.
I have been looking at my weight and measuring my stomach and thighs and have seen no change in either! It is getting so frustrating because it has been a huge lifestyle change for me. The whole reason that I gained weight was a horribly stressful semester in college. I stopped exercising and starting eating horribly and now I can't lose any of that weight. I have had my thyroid tested and overall it was normal.
-Darcy

Replies

• Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    It seems like you are at least on the right path. maybe you can take a look at what you are eating...maybe there is too much sugar or too much sodium. also take a look at how much you are working out...maybe you arent eating enough. If you think you are doing a good job, throw the scale away!! start taking pics and measurements to see if you can see a difference. the scale isnt always right. If you want some extra support during your journey, i have a ladies only fb support group. Send me your fb link and ill add you :)
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? You probably need to raise your caloric intake. There are several forums on here regarding this. Check them out. You'll be glad you did!! It changed the way I lost weight last year (my ticker isnt correct right now so pay no attention! LOL)
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    As soon as I started tracking sugar I noticed a difference. Everyone is different, but that is what worked for me. I also drink more water. Hope this helped.
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? It sounds like you really should be eating a bit more. Make sure to drink tons of water, low sodium, high protien and fiber.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    I haven't changed my diet all that much

This is why it isn't working...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member

QFT.......

.........and maybe this:
    I stopped exercising and starting eating horribly and now I can't lose any of that weight.
  • You should make your diary public so we can better help you. Try adding more fruits an vegetables to your diet. You may be eating too much sodium and processed sugars, but that's just a guess.
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    open your diary and let us help..... so far I agree with the previous posters. the wrong kind of calories are consumed, and perhaps you do need to up your intake if you are exercising that much. your body needs fuel to burn fat and gain muscle.

you are on the right track it is just seeing what it right for your body and lifestyle
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190

QFT.......

.........and maybe this:
    I stopped exercising and starting eating horribly and now I can't lose any of that weight.

What does QFT mean, please?
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Quoted for Truth
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    How's your sleep? Having any hormonal imbalance problems? Those factors can have major impact on weight. I've been fighting that fight for quite awhile. Finally got sick of guessing, got a BodyMedia to track my activity level, calorie burn, and sleep, and made some adjustments based on some decent science.

After weeks of my weight either staying the same or going *up* despite MFP calcs showing that I should have been at least 200 calorie per day deficit, I suddenly lost 4 pounds in 10 days by using BodyMedia info for calorie control, making hormonal adjustments with natural progesterone cream, and getting some prescription melatonin thanks to my doctor. Over-the-counter melatonin was useless for me, just FYI, there's a big difference. The prescription stuff has me sleeping 7 hours a night good solid zzzz.

Now, I know that 4 pounds wasn't all "fat" per se, and I figured that while watching the "number on the scale" go up and up. But it sure is a relief to see it go away again!

You might need to switch things up a bit, do more vigorous activities or stay active for longer periods. Just don't give up. Keep experimenting and learning about what makes YOUR body work the way you want it to. It's worth it.
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    I see several posts about drinking tons of water... Hydration is one of the most underestimated weight loss tools.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member

QFT.......

.........and maybe this:

What does QFT mean, please?

quoted for truth
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Honestly the first time I tried losing weight I ate the same crap and worked my butt off and I gained, and grew a pants size, this time I only changed my eating and lost, then I added exercise. I'd say ditch the old diet.
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Quoted for Truth

Thanks much!
    :flowerforyou:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    What do you have MFP set to for weight loss? You should be at most 1lb. .5lb would be better.

What is your TDEE?

Are you eating back your exercise calories? How many calories are you burning during your workouts?

Are you eating a lot of processed foods, or are most of your foods whole?

What is your weight loss graph like? IE Did you pop back up to 141 after a particularly bad processed few days or after a particularly hard workout?

When are you weighing yourself? Are you consistent with this weigh in time?

When are you taking your measurements? Are you consistent in your measurements?

How are you measuring your food? Scale or measuring cups or eyeballing?

How are you measuring your workout calories burned? HRM? Machine? MFP?
  • Changing only your calorie intake may not be enough. Unfortunately because of your basal metabolic rate and other factors (such as how calories from protein, fat, and carbs all have a different effect on the body and your metabolism weight loss isn't that simple.
    In the past I've lost the most weight eating not 1200 calories, not 2000 calories, but somewhere in between.
    You've probably heard of "starvation mode". Most people think that since they're eating at least 1200 calories a day, that starvation mode isn't a possibility. You might want to reconsider.
    This awesome chicks (evepostapple.tumblr.com) has blogged about how eating less doesn't mean maximum weight loss. Because of her I'm approaching my weight loss differently this time around. I'd highly suggest reading through some of her posts.
    And remember to give it time! Its possibly you may have lost fat, but maybe you're retaining fluid or waste.
    Its very hard to put in all that work and not see results, but give it time. You will get there eventually :)