Diabetes help!!!

Options
I'm new to Diabetes, and I am looking for Diabetic friendly meals and snacks that are also low in cholesterol.
Also, meals that are great options when eating out or fast foods that will work?

Replies

• tracferg
    tracferg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use a lot from allrecipes.com
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    dlife.com
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, diagnosed last June. You can add me and take a peek at my diary if you'd like. I'm off all meds except Victoza, and I believe that one is soon to follow the others.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Taking a cinnamon supplement can be very beneficial to keeping your blood sugar in control. I've also heard chromium piccolinate is another good supplement for diabetics. My BF is diabetic, (Type 1) so I hear a lot from him! Limit your starches somewhat, up your protein, but not fat. Leave that alone at ~25% of your calories. Stay away from sugary foods! Bananas and grapes are two of the worst things you can eat as a diabetic. And avoid that high fructose corn syrup at all costs!

Good luck to you!
  • PlainJade13
    Options
    Try eating natural sugars! Such as apples, peaches, etc.
    Maybe you could dash some sweetner such as Truvia and cinnamon on them to make them extra yummy. (If you need extra sugar, go ahead and put a teaspoon on the fruit.) Also, if you want something akin to apple pie, cut up some apple slices & sugar them then pop them into the microwave for two or three minutes. Tastes good! :]

(My grandmother is diabetic and this is what she does.)
  • waldenfam2
    Options
    Berries are the best fruits to eat especially the strawberries and blackberries, blueberries are good too but slightly higher in sugar content. Bananas are okay if you only eat 1/2 of a small one, or if your sugar is low you can eat a whole one. Oh another trick with bananas....the greener they are the lower the sugar content, so once they are yellow with some brown spotting on them I usually steer clear, but the sugar content is always averaged for all stages of ripeness so if you eat it a little on the green side you're actually getting less carbs than it says.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, diagnosed last June. You can add me and take a peek at my diary if you'd like. I'm off all meds except Victoza, and I believe that one is soon to follow the others.

Congratulations! That is really great.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    thanks! I have to say though, adding real sugar to fruit isn't a good idea.
  • waldenfam2
    Options

Congratulations! That is really great.

Thank you! :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Check out Mayo Clinic website. Has diabetes section and "healthy carb" so that will work as well for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RecipeIndex
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Does anyone eat out? what do you eat?