Difficulty adjusting anyone?

Options
I have been big for as long as I can remember! Even in middle school I was being told by the school nurse not to eat so much because I wasn't in the healthy range ect and that's just how I've always been. So when it came to things like clothes I was always told "girls your size can't wear things like that!" Or "your to big boned to wear..." I've always been a very self conscious person and I'm sure things like those comments haven't helped but now im the smallest I've ever been I want to be different to the old me but the only problem is I cant let go of my old fears.

Seriously I'm down from a UK size 20 to a size 10 and I'm still wearing the same clothes I wore when I started just smaller. I've (apart from years ago at school) never worn skirts or dresses or even girly tops. The problem is in my head I'm still a think I'm big. Like today I was out looking for an outfit for a family do and I ended up with the same old black trousers and top as always.

So I was just wondering if anyone felt the same or how they got over it if they did?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate, and I still haven't completely given up my "uniforms".

I think what helped me buy more girly clothes was just to start trying them on in the dressing rooms. When you see yourself in different styles, you begin to get a feel for what you look good in. I used to hate to shop for clothes, but now that I fit in smaller sizes, there are more choices, and I actually look good in them! Just try something new. You will be pleasantly surprised.
  • liftandcycle
    Options
    im sorry to hear that... its definatelly something that will take time, you need to realize that you're beautiful and it doesnt matter what anyone says.. I was horribly bullied and had teachers stop me in the halls and tell me I shouldnt be eatign what I was eating b/c I was fat.. my family would tell me constantly how fat I was, etc etc... its hard when you start losing weight b/c your mind is not changing... this is a perfect example as to why I always say our minds are in a diferent place than our bodies... you need to start out by telling yourself you're beautiful, you need to bring all those hurtful things people told you down... wayy down! they dont matter anymore.. you are your biggest fan, when everyone betrays you, only you will stan next to you... you will be with yourself till the day you die, love your body and show it how beautiful it is. forget the haters!
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Go shopping with a friend that has that style, or better yet, go into the stores and ask the people for help in creating a new style! That's what they're there for, after all. I'm still big, but I lived in baggy, dark clothes most of my life. I went to a store with my mom and the woman there helped me branch out into wearing fitted clothes in bright, peppy colors. It really improved my outlook!
  • tracferg
    tracferg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Go shopping with a supportive friend who's clothes you admire and then get them to help you pick things out. And have fun with it!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Go shopping, pick out the correct size, nothing gives you that motivational boost like seeing how you look in a smaller size. When I saw myself in the mirror for the first time in size 10 I couldn't believe how I looked. It made me feel so good. I used to hate wearing shorts, but now I don't mind showing my legs.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think you should wear what is comfortable for you. My sister has worn nothing but black all her life. She is skinny, so it's just that she likes black. She is dark haired and says it makes her eyes look bluer.

But anyway, I have often seen very overweight women stylishly dressed in bright colored outfits, including matching shoes and purses. Dresses, nice tops, all of it. So I think that is just their style, no matter what they weigh.

So my point is, maybe black is just your thing. Add a bit of color with a purse or flashy belt, and some cute sandals. A new haircut, a different shade of lipstick, or a new pair of earrings. Their are many ways to change it up without changing who you are inside. Be yourself. You are beautiful.