I don't think I'm eating enough, but not hungry...

Options
I am 5 weeks into my diet, and have lost 20 lbs. The first 10 I knew would drop fast because of water/etc -- and the rest was pretty steady 2.5-3 a week if not more. All of a sudden this weekend I have plateaued. I do not cheat, not even a little -- I am drinking all my water, meeting my protein and fat intake --- and sitting still. I work out 35-45 minutes each day, high intensity cardio, plus my job keeps me on my feet.

Looking back at my diet plan, I noticed I am taking in about 900 calories or less, and working out gets me about 150-325 (depending on the day) back....

Am I eating too little?

I am eating 3 good meals and two snacks a day, I feel FULL. drinking all my water, but people are telling me I am not eating enough though I don't know where else to get all those calories!!!!

I should say I am a 25 year old female, I weighed in at 250 5 weeks ago (my highest weight ever) and I am now at 230, have lost a couple inches, and feel generally very good.

HELP.

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Hmm, make a change. drop a day of exercise, add one. eat more, eat less.
    I'd say if you plan on eating more upgrade one of your food choices from
    a light/low-fat version to a normal version.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yep, you are eating too little. I have this problem too and have determined it is mostly mental. Some things to try: nuts (a small handful - 1 oz - of walnut is ~200 cal), fruit smoothies with cottage cheese blended up in them, protein bars or shakes as snacks. As you eat more you will start to feel hunger again. This is a good thing! :smile:
  • spseattle25
    Options
    this was so helpful.

GAH! It is hard for me to see "eating more" as a positive thing. I guess I need to try it. For some reason it seems TOTALLY counterproductive, but you get it. :)

Okay, i will check back in in a couple days!!
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You may need more protein. Joy Bauer, the dietician from the Today Show believes a woman's daily protein grams should be equal to half her weight; if you weigh 200 lbs, you should eat 100 grams of protein daily. Protein builds muscle; muscle burns fat.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It's a stage. I could not eat 1200 on a few days for 3 weeks last month. I tried and tried, but because my stomach shrunk, and I was eating filling foods, I had a lot of trouble. However I am back on track, now. My body just needed adjustment time. You will get there. Don't worry.
  • spseattle25
    Options
    I am eating a ton of protein, in good lean/healthy ways. I definitely just need to up my caloric intake -- but I suppose it really is mental. I can't figure out how putting more in will keep me losing weight. However, I'll try it for the next few days, and gradually build back up to 1200. I just spent 20 minutes looking at my food diary, trying to see where I could add more calories -- SO HARD!

Thanks for all the advice!! :)