Swimming question

Options
albali
albali Posts: 225 Member
Hi
I run twice a week, do one session of Zumba a week and walk briskly a couple of times a week. I'd like to get some toning in and could manage to fit in one session of swimming a week. Do you think this would have enough of a benefit for me in terms of toning? I don't need to lose much more weight but would like to firm up my tummy and arms. Swimming seems like the perfect answer but would I get enough benefit from doing it once a week? I'd love to hear from anyone who has seen a difference just doing an hour of breast stroke a week (which is what I could manage). Thanks.

Replies

• Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I swim about once a week for a break between running and biking. I don't do the breast stroke, just swim freestyle, but I can see the difference in toning my arms and chest.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I'm in the same position of adding in some swimming once a week,, and I'd be interested in any replies too :)
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I definitely noticed arm tone when I was swimming breaststroke once a week
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Water sports are fantastic for toning and building muscle; swimming, surfing, paddling, paddleboarding, kayaking, etc. work wonders!! Here in Hawaii, you see the hot body results of these exercises everywhere!! I've never met a dedicated paddler, surfer, and/or kayaker who was out of shape! :wink:
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Water sports are fantastic for toning and building muscle; swiming, surfing, paddling, paddleboarding, kayaking, etc. work wonders!! Here in Hawaii, you see the hot body results of these exercises everywhere!! I've never met a dedicated paddler, surfer, and/or kayaker who was out of shape! :wink:

OMG! I so wish I was in Hawaii right now!! Thank you!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Water sports are fantastic for toning and building muscle; swimming, surfing, paddling, paddleboarding, kayaking, etc. work wonders!! Here in Hawaii, you see the hot body results of these exercises everywhere!! I've never met a dedicated paddler, surfer, and/or kayaker who was out of shape! :wink:

OMG! I so wish I was in Hawaii right now!! Thank you!

LOL! You're very welcome...enjoy your swimming sesh!! You go girl!
  • mom2kea
    mom2kea Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm not a swimmer, but my teenage daughter is a competitive swimmer and practices with a Division 2 college team 5 days a week. If you could see how beautifully toned she and all of the swimmers are, you would add more than just one day a week! Not only for your arms, but your core will improve dramatically. When it is time for the presidential physical fitness test at school, she blows the boys away. Amazing cardio endurance. It improves every aspect of your fitness.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    You will absolutely see toning. I used to be a swimmer and found that it gave me lean muscle mass quickly (i swam about 4 times per week). My mom has a hurt back and she does resistance exercises in the pool, some as simple as walking fast through waist-high water using your hands too and that definitely will sculpt you too.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive swimmer, and yes it's toned my arms and back a bit, but for best body recomposition results, heavy lifting wins.

ETA: After swimming 9 times/week in grade school and high school with one day for circuit training, I have better results now swimming 4 times/week and doing weights/circuit training 5 times/week.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Swimming makes a huge difference!!! I alternate my laps so I am constantly changing the muscles I work. Freestyle and backstroke are my main go tos. You will love it!
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    swimming's great for that, I totally agree - on a different note though: Swimming always made me ravenous for food - but I read online somewhere that it doesn't actually burn all that many calories, it's your body cooling down in the water, which makes your body respond with 'feed me' - but if you have a really hot shower to warm yourself up, that doesn't happen. I tried it the last few times and it totally works for me. Instead of feeling famished, I now feel normal after a swim and maybe have only a little snack as normal :)

Enjoy your swimming!
  • reggiestarkey
    reggiestarkey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you add a pull buoy (it's a foam thing that goes between your knees forcing you not to kick) it is even better. Your arms and back and core get a great workout.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I was a swimmer all my life- even through a D1 college team. My muscle tone came from swimming. I didn't start lifting weights until college and people thought I was a gosh darn body builder before I even started lifting. It wasn't until I quit the sport that I gained weight (and kept eating like I did when I got 4 hours of exercise a day:laugh: )

So yea, I think it builds muscle tone.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not a swimmer, but my teenage daughter is a competitive swimmer and practices with a Division 2 college team 5 days a week. If you could see how beautifully toned she and all of the swimmers are, you would add more than just one day a week! Not only for your arms, but your core will improve dramatically. When it is time for the presidential physical fitness test at school, she blows the boys away. Amazing cardio endurance. It improves every aspect of your fitness.

my husband used to compete, and he loved the way he blew the "real athletes" (i.e. the footballers!) in his school out the water when it came to fitness tests
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I swim three times a week and I love it. I tend to suffer from water retention and swollen legs/ankles and the water sorts that out.

I agree with all fo the posters who've commented on toning and general fitness, it's an amazing activity and I love it.