Working out at home

Options
I love how easy it is to work out at home, especially that it doesn't use up all that extra time in transport to and from the gym. Hell, I don't even have to put on shoes!

Are there any at home videos you guys can recommend? It seems like many of y'all are Jillian Michaels fans. Is there a particular workout of hers that you'd recommend to start with?

Help!

Replies

• Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am in love with many of the beachbody programs!! I've done insanity, the asylum, brazil butt lift, yoga booty ballet, and im currently doing p90x. Im a beachbody coach, so if you are interested in learning more about these videos or any of the other ones offered by beachbody let me know!! Send me a msg and we could probably come up with a video that fits your needs and lifestyle :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 3st just from doing Wii exercise games and find them more motivating cos there more interactive and give more feedback than just watching a video.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    love 30 day shred
    ripped in 90
    wii zumba 1 and 2
    dvd zumba - though i find the wii games more fun

I mostly workout at home but I have also purchased some equipment now ( I have a heavy bag , elliptical, double jogging stroller and planning to buy a treadmill this april along with some more free weights for home)
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am in love with many of the beachbody programs!! I've done insanity, the asylum, brazil butt lift, yoga booty ballet, and im currently doing p90x. Im a beachbody coach, so if you are interested in learning more about these videos or any of the other ones offered by beachbody let me know!! Send me a msg and we could probably come up with a video that fits your needs and lifestyle :)

I do a variety of these programs (I rotate them as I get bored). I like the convenience of working out at home (no transit time) and I can watching a movie or show on TV while I do it. I'm tragically uncoordinated so gym classes are sort of out for me. I don't mind it if my cats watch me be a clumsy oaf.

I don't have a ton of equipment. I bought a $100 free weight set off Amazon and I have a little stair stepper than I never use. The weights and videos are really all I need.
  • skinnymeonmfp
    Options
    Ha mittens, I think we may be twins as far as the lack of coordination and cats go. I swear, I thought I had moves until I saw myself in the mirror during a cardio kickbox class once. Yikes. Thanks for the info everyone... I've got dumbbells, so I think I'll borrow a Jillian from my neighbor and get going while my cats look at me with utter confusion and disgust!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My go to workout video is Slim in 6 which is a Beachbody DVD. I love it and I get fast results, to beat the boredom of repeatedly doing the same workouts, I do box/kickboxing 3 days a week at a friends that lives down the street from me, she has a bag and we used to all go to a boxing gym together, it's a great workout. And I make sure I strength train. I have started incorporating yoga on the Wii as well it has really helped with my hip that had been injured in a car accident a few years ago, I get much more flexibility now.
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has great walk at home DVD's. And the Biggest Loser will get you some Jillian without it all being Jillian. And since they are from like 2007, they tend to be cheap on Amazon. A rebounder is also good. I have one. But often cannot stay on it very long. Good luck to you!
  • Trinity1982
    Options
    ok - i have some ankle and knee issues from Sciatica, is there any dvd in particular you'd recommend? i know NOTHING about these videos
  • adf4
    adf4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home dvd's and I'm currently doing 30 DS and liking it too! :)
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ok - i have some ankle and knee issues from Sciatica, is there any dvd in particular you'd recommend? i know NOTHING about these videos

You might think about something more along the lines of yoga, pilates or kenpo, depending on your mobility. You could probably manage most of the p90x videos (probably not plyometrics, general cardio, or the leg workout - those all tend to involve lots of squatting and jumping, which I'm guessing is not so comfortable for you) but Beach Body is probably out without a lot of modification.

If you're very limited, I would suggest Sit and Be Fit or some type of water activity like swimming or water aerobics.
  • booyatribe
    Options
    i LOVE working out at home. nekkid
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this one. Been using it since 2004 for a good core workout. It alternates between strength training and cardio and has three levels. Just make sure to watch through it first before doing them. And, it comes with a book instructing you how to do each move. love love LOVE it.

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Ball-Band-Dina-Matty/dp/B004180E94
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i dont recommend videos, i recommend getting outside and going to a park.. or even your backyard!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I love beach body programs too, if anyone orders, remember to go through ebates.com for an extra 4% back. If you aren't an ebates member, send me a message, I'd love a referral.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I love playing my kinect psorts and kinect adventure games.
    I have a kettlebell that I use to do a lot of squats with arm swings.
    I love my punching bag and gloves. I can box/kickbox whenever I want and especially good for the days when things arent going the greatest and you need to hit something!!!
    I have an adjustable set of weights that I got from Wal-mart, they go from 5 pounds to 25 pounds.
    You can even order a good set of resistance bands from Amazon and do those exercises to build strength too.
    Also, if you have netflix streaming you can git some fitness dvds straight to your tv to change up the pace for you.

Hopefully that gives you a few new ideas to try. :)
  • kasafrass
    kasafrass Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I LOVE working at home, and I have 30DS, which isn't bad, but my friend recently let me borrow her Wii with the Wii fit set, and I love it soo much more! It's so much more motivation because it's way more interactive and it helps you gradually increase your work outs. Can't wait to own one!!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to not self promoting/advertising??? geez....

I have a ton of different workouts to do at home...my favorites are Billy Blanks PT 24/7 and some of his other...and I really like Bob Harpers videos too...

I also have some of the old school Biggest Loser ones, and, of course, Jillian!

Best advice I can give is to change it up...not only does your body get "bored" with workouts...if you are not excited about them, you wont do them!

Have fun, be creative, and don't allow yourself to get bored!

:bigsmile:
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    Get all sorts of things for different moods! Dances games are fun, you could get zumba for a fun workout, wii gots some good stuff, anything Jillian Michaels is LOTS of fun, especially if you keep track of your progress with it....hmm... if you have netflix (TIP!) not everyone knows this, but Netflix has lots of fun little exercise videos, mostly pointed towards beginners. I would suggest the yoga and pilates you find on Netflix, I enjoy it!
    ENJOY! :D
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Jennifer Galardi--anything she does is fantastic. I've been doing 10 minute solutions now for 5 months on Netflix and just purchased Dance it Off and Tone it Up. This one came with a toning band and wow do I actually have muscles. My arms are already improving and it's only been two days. Of course I'm sore but it's a great feeling to see results so fast.

I also have a Tony Little Gazelle Freestyle in my living room that I use every day at least 10 minutes up to 70 minutes. I'm also seeing results in my stamina and can climb stairs without much effort and I'm not winded in the slightest.

I also use the 10 minute solutions Kickboxing video (also on Netflix) which is great for getting the stress out---I really like the punching!
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    P90X!!!!!!!! It's an awesome program!!!!