Gained weight but not inches, good or bad?

Options
eig6
eig6 Posts: 249 Member
Hello! A couple of weeks ago I was frustrated that I was not losing weight and when I asked what I could be doing wrong I was advised to eat more. Since then I have started eating 1200-1400 net. I have gained 2lbs but not any inches. I am working out pretty much every day now, usually 2 days at the gym circuit training, and running or elliptical or some other form of intense cardio for 20-30 minutes the rest of the week. Is the weight gain most likely water or muscle or fat? Should I change something or keep doing what Im doing? Really appreciate the help!

Replies

• estherpab
    estherpab Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just recently upped my cals too but I also started RI 30 and gained pounds not inches too...I curious to see what the responses are.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hello! A couple of weeks ago I was frustrated that I was not losing weight and when I asked what I could be doing wrong I was advised to eat more. Since then I have started eating 1200-1400 net. I have gained 2lbs but not any inches. I am working out pretty much every day now, usually 2 days at the gym circuit training, and running or elliptical or some other form of intense cardio for 20-30 minutes the rest of the week. Is the weight gain most likely water or muscle or fat? Should I change something or keep doing what Im doing? Really appreciate the help!

I have a couple of questions:

1. How often do you weigh yourself and when did you notice the 2 pound weight gain?

2. Do you track your body fat percentage? The body fat percentage formula will let a person see if they are gaining or losing: pounds of fat, lean body mass and muscles. It takes time to build muscle.

I don't know when you have weighed yourself. If you did it yesterday, then to see if it was water weight gain, go weigh yourself again and see if you are two pounds lighter. If so, I would go with water weight, because no one can lose pounds of fat or muscles in one day.
  • eig6
    Options
    I weighed myself last week and noticed I was 2lbs heavier. I weighed myself again yesterday and it was the same. I dont keep track of my body fat %.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your gain could well be increased glycogen and water for the increase is workout activity.
  • eig6
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I never thought of that before..
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself last week and noticed I was 2lbs heavier. I weighed myself again yesterday and it was the same. I dont keep track of my body fat %.

I'll rule out muscle gain, because it takes time to build muscle. You could be retaining water or you could be retaining waste. Make sure you are drinking enough water. 64oz is recommended daily, but up that slowly. And make sure you are getting your fiber in. 32 gram of fiber is good to eat daily. You'll notice a difference.