Stress Eaters?

Options
Anybody else out there get just a little bit stressed and reach for the nearest food item? It's like I don't even taste it, I'm just mechanically chewing and swallowing!

Any suggestions? :embarassed:

Replies

• Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    Me!! I hate to sound cliche', but the first step is recognizing that you have a problem. Once I recognized it, I try to isolate myself from food in stressful situations. I rant more now about things that bother me instead of taking them out on a pint of ice cream. I also try substitiute one addiction for another. So instead of a potato chip problem, I have a Facebook problem or a MFP problem :smile: . It's really mind over matter and you just have to know that you are stronger than the craving.
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I like the concept of "punishing" a pint of ice cream. It's strange to me that my brain automatically reaches for food to comfort me, even though I tend to stay upset? You'd think it would get the message or something.
  • hopingforhealthy
    Options
    I used to comfort eat like crazy during my youth.
    People don't recognize that food can become an addiction like anything else.

What worked for me was to disconnect the emotional feelings that come along with food. Not that that's easy, still something I struggle with whenever I'm upset.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I picked up this habit late in life and it really didn't take me long to break it. Now when I have nervous energy or stress I clean, talk on the phone, take a walk, anything but grab food. I think the main thing is being aware that you are doing it- now that you are aware you can change it. Best of luck to you.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that and then I felt guilty after eating.
    I read this book
    Eating the moment by Somov, Pavel G.
    And do the practice in there.
    It's the only book I read that say it's ok to be emotion eater and show how to use food to release myr emotion. It also talks about cravings. The book help sme over come my emotional eating and also help to me with craving.
  • jackienelson24
    Options
    I like to chew on gum, that way I am less likely to put anything else in there. :)
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're going through. I am an anytime eater. I stress eat, I happy eat, I sad eat, etc. My addiction can find any reason to give in to cravings. I try to recongize and work through them most of the time but my days at work are the hardest. Because my job is stressful and I'm at my desk all day it can be tough to not munch mindlessly all day. I try to not keep anything around to snack on so it isn't readily available to me.

Good Luck to you, it's one day at a time!
  • hlawson4
    hlawson4 Posts: 14
    Options
    I like to chew on gum, that way I am less likely to put anything else in there. :)

I do that too...or i have bottles of water in every room haha ....when i get the urge to eat i chug water,,,,,,,that usually helps!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    This book is excellent for stress or emotional eating.

The Mood Cure by Julia Ross

http://www.moodcure.com/

She has another book out called The Diet Cure. They kind of go hand in hand.

Good Luck.
  • happyhealthy3
    Options
    I don't just classify myself as a stress eater. I am an emotional, binge, overeater. This is the year that I am figuring it all out and will not only lose weight but will combat the whys of overeating. I have even started a blog to write out the emotions and maybe you will find some things there that click for you. I just started blogging and trying to get into the groove with it.

www.yoyodietmama.com