Circus Arts

Options
So, is anyone else here going the circus arts route for a fun but still challenging exercise option?

I'm doing 2-4 hours of aerials classes a week, and am also training fire fans and contortion. Anyone else? How about hoopers? Cheerleading and acro are pretty nearly the same, anyone into either of them?

Replies

• KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I've been trying t a hooping troupe to help me get started, but there isn't really anything in my area. So I've been practicing myself. not going so well. :)
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Fire fans are an AMAZING arm work out and super fun. :)
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Would you guys be interested in a circus arts group?
    I've been trying t a hooping troupe to help me get started, but there isn't really anything in my area. So I've been practicing myself. not going so well. :)

There are lots of tutorials and videos for hooping floatin around online, which would help...
    Fire fans are an AMAZING arm work out and super fun. :)

I love 'em! XD
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    thought this said citrus ants.
    i'm an idiot.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    So, is anyone else here going the circus arts route for a fun but still challenging exercise option?

I'm doing 2-4 hours of aerials classes a week, and am also training fire fans and contortion. Anyone else? How about hoopers? Cheerleading and acro are pretty nearly the same, anyone into either of them?
    how fun. it has been years and years and years since my feet hit the top of my head or locked under my chin.. have fun honey...
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If I could remain in one place long enough to a)find a class and b)be able to attend it, I would be all over that!

Did a basic 'Circus Fit' course and then followed it up with the first level aerial stuff (trapeze and tissu mainly) when I was in NZ - it was awesome! (And SUCH a good workout!)

Enjoy!
  • FlynnMacCallister
    Options
    thought this said citrus ants.
    i'm an idiot.

Heehee XD Yeah, that would kind of put this into the wrong forum, hey?
    If I could remain in one place long enough to a)find a class and b)be able to attend it, I would be all over that!

Did a basic 'Circus Fit' course and then followed it up with the first level aerial stuff (trapeze and tissu mainly) when I was in NZ - it was awesome! (And SUCH a good workout!)

Enjoy!

Thanks! Why not take up something you can do solo -- like hooping or poi? It's not as intense as aerials, but it's still something, and a lot of fun....
    how fun. it has been years and years and years since my feet hit the top of my head or locked under my chin.. have fun honey...

Thanks! I can juuuust get my toes to my forehead at the moment; it's going to be a little while before I get get them under my chin. XD
  • jerber160
    Options

Thanks! I can juuuust get my toes to my forehead at the moment; it's going to be a little while before I get get them under my chin. XD
    be careful. at your age you're probably starting to stiffen up. and now that I think of it.... my profile pic kinda belongs in this thread. what a hoot...
  • FlynnMacCallister
    Options

be careful. at your age you're probably starting to stiffen up. and now that I think of it.... my profile pic kinda belongs in this thread. what a hoot...

Hey, so it does! :D

Oh man, I wouldn't mind too much if I was.... the thing I have to be *more* careful of is the fact I hyperextend pretty severely through all my joints, so keeping a good strength-flexibility balance is really important for me.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I think not ... since I'm deathly afraid of height and have no gymnastic ability, I'd better pursue other forms of exercise. :ohwell:
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love it but my upper body strength sucks. I'm getting stronger and will be going back probably at the end of the year.
  • jerber160
    Options

Hey, so it does! :D

Oh man, I wouldn't mind too much if I was.... the thing I have to be *more* careful of is the fact I hyperextend pretty severely through all my joints, so keeping a good strength-flexibility balance is really important for me.
    I have no back flexibility any more. sigh.... old age crept up on me when I wasn't lookin.
  • mammothdoll
    Options
    I would love to do that so, so dearly. I think that within the next three months I should be fit enough to start without injuring myself. But in Austin everything aerial/circus-oriented costs an arm and a leg. :/ You must keep us apprised of your journey . . .
  • mammothdoll
    Options
    Incidentally, the OP has fantastic hair.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    Options
    I have no back flexibility any more. sigh.... old age crept up on me when I wasn't lookin.

: (

Oh well, starting from that point, I imagine that at least you're still a lot better off than a lot of people.
    I think not ... since I'm deathly afraid of height and have no gymnastic ability, I'd better pursue other forms of exercise. :ohwell:

Hahaha, well, the point is to -develop- gymnastic ability; you don't have to start with it! But I can see being scared of heights would be a problem for aerials and acro at least.... >.<
    I love it but my upper body strength sucks. I'm getting stronger and will be going back probably at the end of the year.

I signed up for aerials -because- I wanted to train my upper body strength. I'm getting there! :D Still can't do even one chin-up, though.....
  • FlynnMacCallister
    Options
    I would love to do that so, so dearly. I think that within the next three months I should be fit enough to start without injuring myself. But in Austin everything aerial/circus-oriented costs an arm and a leg. :/ You must keep us apprised of your journey . . .

Yeah, circus schools are kind of expensive, but here in Sydney it's comparable to a typical gym membership. I also have the advantage of there being a recreational circus arts club at my university who run trapeeze classes a few afternoons a week for cheap at a small, cheap rockclimbing gym.

And thanks for the compliment! Though..... it's actually a wig. >.< I have a girly-styled blonde mohawk underneath it.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    Options
    I made a group, if anyone's interested....? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4378-circus-arts
  • couturekitty
    couturekitty Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I went to my 2nd aerial tissu class today and I am STILL sore. I have always thought of myself as strong (even though it was my lower body) but boy was I wrong. I could barely get off of the floor. I absolutely loved it though and can't wait to go back next week. Have to make sure I work on my pullups.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    Options
    I went to my 2nd aerial tissu class today and I am STILL sore. I have always thought of myself as strong (even though it was my lower body) but boy was I wrong. I could barely get off of the floor. I absolutely loved it though and can't wait to go back next week. Have to make sure I work on my pullups.

Awesome! Tissu is actually my least favourite, hahahaha.... it's so hard on the wrists!

What circus school are you at?