What no wheat product can I have marmite on ?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Really miss the stuff and it is useful for b vitamins, being that I don't eat meat.
But I am cutting out wheat due to intense cravings and bloating, and don't know what I can spread it on as an alternative to bread,
Any ideas?

Replies

• jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Rice crackers?
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of gluten-free brands such as Rudis, as well as any rice snack or soy crisp.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Your finger, stick it in the jar!

Not really clued up about intolerances, but what about rice crackers? Or maybe oat cakes are okay for you?

You can buy marmite covered cashews but they're about a bajillion calories a packet...
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    rice cakes, rice crackers, hemp bread, spelt bread or home made wheat free bread. There is lots of wheat free produce out there now. Good luck xx
  • ensoleille
    Options
    All these sound good!
    I've only tried it on rice cakes and oat cakes and it was yummy.

You've made me crave marmite now! :P :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Ah of course, rice cakes, didn't think of that even though I eat the apple ones.
    Never tried an alternative bread, will see what I can find although uk health stores are pretty limited in their stock.
  • MEMoggridge
    MEMoggridge Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I put it on buckwheat crackers rice crackers or gluten free bread!!! Love it!!! yummy!!!
    I'm in the UK and find it pretty easy to get decent (ish)bread!!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I second the rice crackers. Or, can you get a gluten free bread, like tapioca bread or similar? The stuff can be pretty horrid but I imagine putting marmite on it might make it a lot better.

(note to self...buy more marmite...)
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Would it work on veggies? Carrots cut into planks can be excellent lower calorie dipping/spreadable surfaces! Jicama is another one with a very subtle taste that cuts into nice faux-crackers for me!
  • super_jade
    Options
    hello, im from new zealand where marmite is made and theres a big shortage over here since the earth quake wrecked the building where it is made! if you have marmite to spare you should treasure it hahaah! its selling for stupid amounts on trademe at the moment because every one is desperate for it!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    hello, im from new zealand where marmite is made and theres a big shortage over here since the earth quake wrecked the building where it is made!
    Sorry to hear that, so much of the news focuses (rightly) on the infrastructure and cost to human lives, we don't get to hear about the "small" things like that, there must be a lot of examples.

Incidentally, Marmite is originally an English product and it's still made here, it sounds like there's a good business opportunity there for someone!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    What is marmite?
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    What is marmite?

it's yeast extract - you either love it or hate it :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    vegies, cheese slices, rice crackers, gf bread and crackers etc etc etc etc there are so many alternatives
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    It's nice on Ryvitas
  • tanga_gurl
    tanga_gurl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=marmite&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=7&generalSearch_suggested=0

Check out our marmite shortage in new zealand and the ridiculous prices people are willing to pay!!
  • cawillboo
    cawillboo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sainsbury's (and therefore I'm sure the other major supermarkets will also) sell Spelt flour. It's super easy to make rolls/small loaf with. It's also really lovely and tastes just like - if not a little nicer - than normal bread.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Here is my wheat-free staple

I grind in my magic bullet

1 1/4 cup flax seed (grind in 3 portions since that is all the bullet will handle)

1/2 cup almonds

Mix together in a bowl with

1/2 tsp baking powder (optional - make is a bit lighter but good without)

1 cup water

1/2 tsp salt (this can be increased according to taste)

1/2 cup sesame seeds

spread on a parchement paper lined cookie sheet (if you have trouble spreading this evenly use the method described below for crackers)

Bake at 400 for 15 min

Remove from oven and cut into 16 squares

Return to oven and bake for 5 more min

Turn oven off and leave pan in oven until the oven cools
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this recipe and it is better than the one I posted last

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxbasicfoc.htm