Eating 3 meals a day or 6???

Options
So of course everyone thinks one way is better than the other. What do you think. Eating three meals a day or eating 6 smaller meals throughout the day?

Replies

• firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    6 meal or ever 3 hours.
    Insulin level stable
    High metabolism
    Less craving.
    Not overeat.
    I used to eat until I'm full. Now I only eat until I stop feeling hungry.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 3 that I call meals, and 3 that I call snacks,,, 300-400 each and wind up right around 2000 cals for the day.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    3 meals for me, I am only alotted 1220 calories, 6 would mean just snacks!
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    Those calories dont add I posted wrong!!!
  • czewwhat
    Options
    I eat three main meals that are around 150 calories and then I have 2 snacks that are around 100 calories.

you must be starving yourself! 650 a day? way to low!
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    Ya I read that after I posted and realized that that was wrong. I wouldn't be sittin here at 145lbs of that was the case!!!! LOL
  • jenj1983
    jenj1983 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have a really hard time doing the 6 small meals a day because I crave "real" food that you can get by having a meal. By a real meal I mean something like a piece of grilled chicken and two vegetables. I usually eat 3 meals a day with breakfast being pretty small and then I have two snacks.

You have to do what is best for you. I don't like hard and fast rules because they don't always work for everyone.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    I trying to do 3 main meals and 2 mini meals in between lunch and dinner and after dinner. Better for the metabolism. I want to burn more FAT!!! :love: If that means eating every three hours and faster results. I will do it!
  • fitzio1015
    fitzio1015 Posts: 168
    Options
    i do 3 meals and snacks because i work 10-12 hour days and i don't think my work would like it to much if i am constantly taking a break to eat.......i get a hour lunch so thats when i have to eat...i can sneak a snack in but nothing more than that...

but its what works for you....
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I don't do either. I have found that 6 is just too many to try to get in with trying to work, keep up house, get two busy kids to their stuff and homework and get myself to the gym or for a run. I tried the 6 and it just didn't work out for my schedule.

On the other hand, 3 doesn't seem to be enough. I eat breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner, not necessarily in that order but I do try to eat at the same time each day unless I am truly not hungry. Each meal is about 4 hours apart. If I didn't eat enough calories during the day I will have an after dinner snack too but I usually stick to 4 a day.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    4 times is good for me. Whatever works for you personally is best. :)
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It sounds like everyone is essentially saying the same thing, because 3 meals a day, plus snacks in between IS 5-6 meals! The point is to keep one's blood sugar on an even keel and therefore keep the metabolism working!

Keep up the good work all!

:flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I eat 5, plus one evening indulgence snack. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner/supper, dessert snack. None of them are huge, although if I'm craving something a wee bit higher calorie or fat or carb than normal, I may shrink a snack or two to compensate for it. But I don't skip them entirely. Also, if I'm working out, I have a 1/2 a protein bar right before I start and 1/2 immediately after, otherwise I crash.

Before I started MFP and learned about starvation dieting, I would go without eating for as long as possible, then eat as little as possible until I positively could not stand it anymore, then binge. No wonder it has taken two months to get my metabolism back to normal :grumble:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    not sure what some ppl are talking about. I eat 6 times per day on average and most of these I would consider meals. I guess it depends on what type of food you are eating but I dont ever have to limit myself to just a "snack", only in the afternoon before dinner... that's about the only one that is like a snack.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    3 meals a day is for dinosaurs you need snacks- I go for 5 times a day
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    i'd do 3 main meals a day portioned out to the right amounts and then 3 good snacks a day eating every 3 hours is good for your body :) (my snacks are usually a fruit/veggie/or sometimes a really small meal) lol
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I eat every few hours throughout the day ... I don't like to get really hungry ... when I get too hungry for some reason I want to eat the evil PIZZA!!! So I try to avoid the hunger monster.

HungerMonster.jpg
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I do about 4-5 meals a day. But Breakfast is always smallest (I simply can't force anymore down my throat even if the first meal is supposed to be big). Dinner is usually largest (love dinner, love to cook and I usually don't go to sleep for at least five hours after dinner). Lunch is usually split into two: an early lunch, and a late lunch. And if I'm staying up late, and I have calories left, I may have a snack. Usually I don't count snacks as a meal (so the protein shake I drink before working out is not a meal).

So like most, more than 3 is better.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think using the term "meal" is a little bit misleading. Seems like everyone is in consensus that you should eat every three hours or so. Me, I eat breakfast, lunch and supper, but I also usually have a "snack" mid-morning and mid-afternoon. The thing is, my "meals" aren't very big--and my "snacks" sometimes are! It's too hard for me to sit down and plan 6 evenly spaced and equal meals every day.

So find what works for you. As long as you're eating good food and staying within your calorie restrictions, and breaking up your meals so you're not eating EVERYTHING during only 2-3 times per day, you should be fine.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    3 meals a day is for dinosaurs you need snacks- I go for 5 times a day

Call me dinosaurus losing weightus! 2/3 of the way to goal!