Lost weight by exercising a lot WHILE EATING A LOT (about 2,

Options
Oh, the title got cut off, and they won't let me edit it: supposed to finish with "(about 2,500 cals/day or more)?"

I love MFP, and if I had more time, I would continue counting my calories consumed, but I really don't have time since I'm supposed to be devoting all my time to study for an exam, and I'm REALLY behind (I actually shouldn't even be taking the time to make this thread, but I can't stop myself). I was spending a lot of time counting calories consumed (because I eat out pretty often, so trying to get that accurate takes time), and then I thought, "Instead of spending time I don't have to count calories consumed, I can spend that time exercising and burning calories." Plus, my self-control level is currently quite low, and so I am pretty bad at restricting calories consumed, so exercising a lot instead of restricting calories consumed seems right for me, ...so last week was the first week that I tried my new plan: don't count calories consumed, work out a lot, and see what happens. I did that, and I know I ate a lot of calories because I ate out a lot and didn't really restrict myself, but I did 7 hours of cardio and 2 hours of strength training during the week. (The previous week when I counted calories consumed, I averaged 2,565 calories per day, and I think I ate pretty similarly last week.) According to my body composition monitor, I lost 0.75 lbs. of fat and gained 0.1822 lbs. of skeletal muscle. I'm happy with that because I was just hoping for 0.5 lbs. of fat loss. I think with time, if I want to keep eating about the same amount, I'll have to increase my exercise time because my metabolism will probably decrease.

1) People who are now at a HEALTHY weight: were any of y'all able to reach and/or maintain your goal weight by exercising a lot WHILE EATING A LOT (like about an average of 2,500 calories per day or more)?????? ...Or does everyone eventually have to restrict their calorie intake a lot???? (I really don't want to and would rather exercise a lot, but I hope I never have to do more than 12 hours cardio per week.)

2) If any of you answered "yes" to the very first question, how many hours of cardio and how many hours of strength training do you do per week? For your cardio, what do you do (elliptical, zumba, jogging, etc.)? And for strength training, how many reps, sets, and sessions (days) per strength training exercise each week? (For example, last week, for my strength training, I did 8 to 12 reps and 3 sets per strength training exercise, and I only did one 2-hour session.)

I'll be so happy if there are actually some people who are able to eat a lot (about 2,500 calories per day) but still be a healthy weight through exercise!!!

Replies

• Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2,000-2,100 calories per day because I burn about 2,800 calories per day. So that deficit of about 800 calories/day works great for my goal of losing about 1.5 lbs. per week (give or take). I've been at it for only 17 days and I've lost 5 lbs. as of today on that plan.

In general, if you eat fewer calories than your body consumes each day, you will lose weight. Period. There's no mystery here.

In your case, if you're eating 2,500 calories and exercising "a lot" (whatever that may mean), then you could be doing just fine, assuming that you're burning at least 3,000 calories per day. You probably are, because I don't exercise at all, and I have a desk job, and I burn 2,800 a day, as I mentioned.

And that's not just a guess. I have a Bodymedia armband that I wear 22+ hours a day, and that's where I'm getting my information.

Here's the problem with the approach you're taking, though. If you have no idea how many calories your body burns each day, AND have no idea how many calories you eat each day, then everything you do is just guesswork. To me, that's not exactly a recipe for success.

If you're really serious about losing weight (or whatever your goal is), information is the key. Know how many calories you're taking in and how many you're burning each day through normal life-sustaining functions, your daily activities, and exercise.

Good luck!
  • purrtypaws
    Options
    I eat about 2,000-2,100 calories per day because I burn about 2,800 calories per day. So that deficit of about 800 calories/day works great for my goal of losing about 1.5 lbs. per week (give or take). I've been at it for only 17 days and I've lost 5 lbs. as of today on that plan.

In general, if you eat fewer calories than your body consumes each day, you will lose weight. Period. There's no mystery here.

In your case, if you're eating 2,500 calories and exercising "a lot" (whatever that may mean), then you could be doing just fine, assuming that you're burning at least 3,000 calories per day. You probably are, because I don't exercise at all, and I have a desk job, and I burn 2,800 a day, as I mentioned.

And that's not just a guess. I have a Bodymedia armband that I wear 22+ hours a day, and that's where I'm getting my information.

Here's the problem with the approach you're taking, though. If you have no idea how many calories your body burns each day, AND have no idea how many calories you eat each day, then everything you do is just guesswork. To me, that's not exactly a recipe for success.

If you're really serious about losing weight (or whatever your goal is), information is the key. Know how many calories you're taking in and how many you're burning each day through normal life-sustaining functions, your daily activities, and exercise.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response and encouragement. The week prior to last week when I counted calories consumed, I ate an average of 2,565 calories per day. That week, I had gained 0.3 lbs. of fat according to my body composition monitor, so in order to have lost 0.5 lbs. of fat that week, I should have eaten 2,800 fewer calories or burned 2,800 more calories for the whole week (or 400 calories per day). (I calculated that because a lb. of fat is 3,500 calories, and 0.8 x 3,500 is 2,800.) That week, I burned 15,307 calories for the whole week (counting all kinds of burning, including BMR & exercise), so I should have instead burned 18,107 calories (15,307 + 2,800) in order to have lost 0.5 lbs. of fat. (I wear a Fitbit Ultra, so that's how I keep track of all my calories burned.) Last week when I wasn't counting calories consumed, I just aimed to burn at least 18,107 calories. I ended up burning 18,485 and lost 0.75 lbs. That week, I did about 7 hours cardio & 2 hours strength training, so my plan is to continue doing about that much exercise until it sinks to less than 0.5 lbs. fat loss per week (because metabolism usually decreases as body weight decreases), and when that happens, I'll increase my exercise. I know I don't eat exactly the same amount every week, but since I don't have time to track calories consumed, I'll just assume that I eat about the same amount each week.

What I want out of this thread is to hear some success stories (if any) from people who have reached a healthy weight and have done so by exercising a lot WHILE EATING A LOT, with "eating a lot" meaning about 2,500 or more calories for women and maybe about 2,800 or more calories for men. I know I'm going to have to keep increasing my exercising as my metabolism decreases, but I don't know how much I'm going to have to be exercising when I'm close to my goal; I'm hoping it's not too much more than I do now, since now I'm spending 9 hours a week exercising, which feels like a lot to me, but I'd rather increase exercising than decrease my eating because I love eating, so I'd like to hear about people who are at a healthy weight because their metabolisms are usually much lower than overweight people's, so their net calorie goals are much lower (you can see that MFP lowers your net calorie goal as you lose weight), so as people get really close to their healthy weight, it gets more difficult to lose weight, so if someone got to a healthy weight while eating a lot, that means they had to exercise a lot, and I'd like to hear about that because that would inspire me and make me feel more optimistic about what I'm trying to do (lose weight by exercising a lot while eating a lot).
  • Musikelektronik
    Options
    If you're burning 15,000 calories per week, then that's about 2,186 per day. Therefore, in order to lose .5 lbs. per week, you need to eat 500 fewer calories than you're burning. That's about 1,686. If you'd like to lose 1.5 lbs. per week, then you should be eating about 1,436. If you're a man, that's pretty low. If you're a woman, it's probably an okay number.

Personally, I'm not sure how reliable it is to keep calculating your calorie burn on a weekly basis. If you've got an armband that'll tell you how many you're burning per day, why not take it day by day, trying to meet your calorie goals each day? And what do you mean, you don't have enough time to count calories? It's not that difficult. I spend maybe 10 minutes per day on it. You spent that much time just writing the post above.

But to go back to your original question, about eating "a lot" and losing weight, if you're burning only 2,186 per day but eating 2,500+ per day day, you're headed in the wrong direction. I'm not sure it's possible for you to ramp up your exercise enough so that you can get a 500-calorie-per-day deficit , which in turn would allow you to eat 2,500 or 2,800 calories. To do that, you'd have to burn an additional 1,000 calories per day on top of all the exercise you're doing already. I'm not sure that's humanly possible.

See what I mean?
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Go to groups and find the Eat More to Weigh Less group. Lots of success stories on there.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Lols, burning 2100 calories a day.
    I train 4 hours a day and don't even burn off 1000. And I'm an elite athlete, what are you doing that's so amazing that I'm not?
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I train 4 hours a day and don't even burn off 1000. And I'm an elite athlete, what are you doing that's so amazing that I'm not?

I think she's talking overall TDEE
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options

Well actually, I've burnt 1,700 calories in a three hour workout, so an extra 400 doesn't seem impossible. No need for bad attitude...
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    I wasn't giving attitude. I genuinely want to know
    sorry if it sounded sarcastic
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    At my current weight, and doing around 90-120 minutes cycling a day, I can eat over 2000 calories a day and remain the same weight. And I was staying at 140Ibs (I am 5'9.5) eating pretty much what I wanted, as long as I did some exercise.
  • ChristinaOlliver
    ChristinaOlliver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to be slim and ate a lot, but made up for it by exercising a lot too - jogging, gym, dance etc. This worked fine for me, but it is a slippery slope. It's really easy to fall out of the routine of exercise but continue to eat the same amount. This happened to me and I'm now paying for it as I'm trying to lose the 2 stone I ended up putting on. I know it's not what you want to hear but it is so much better to train yourself to eat healthily AND exercise than to only do one. You don't have to count calories but just try to make healthier choices, like when you eat out go for the lighter/healthier options on the menu.

Hope I've helped!
  • Musikelektronik
    Options
    At my current weight, and doing around 90-120 minutes cycling a day, I can eat over 2000 calories a day and remain the same weight. And I was staying at 140Ibs (I am 5'9.5) eating pretty much what I wanted, as long as I did some exercise.

This kind of proves what I was saying earlier. Let's face it 1.5-2 hours a day of cycling is A LOT! Yet, you're still burning only enough calories to eat 2,000 per day.

The OP, on the other hand, wants to eat 2,500+ per day. Imagine how much exercise he/she would have to do to make that realistic! Four hours a day of cycling? Five hours? This is the same person who says that he/she doesn't have enough time to count calories!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I burn 1000 Calories doing 2 hours of high intensity Salsa Dancing or 1.25 hours of long distance running.

4 hours of training not equaling at least 1000 calories seems a bit strange,
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

1) People who are now at a HEALTHY weight: were any of y'all able to reach and/or maintain your goal weight by exercising a lot WHILE EATING A LOT (like about an average of 2,500 calories per day or more)?????? ...Or does everyone eventually have to restrict their calorie intake a lot???? (I really don't want to and would rather exercise a lot, but I hope I never have to do more than 12 hours cardio per week.)

I've never been overweight, but I've certainly had the fantasy of treating the world like an all-day smorgasboard while working it off with exercise. I've never done it:

1) I've never had the time;

2) I don't love exercise.

Even if one could do this, it would be dangerous to pig out while relying on extraordinary amounts of exercise to create a calorie deficit. What if you don't have time? What if you get injured and can't resume your previous level of exercise and get really fat during your recovery? What happens when you get old and can't exercise with the same intensity? No, it's best to eat normally and exercise reasonably.
  • Musikelektronik
    Options
    I've never been overweight, but I've certainly had the fantasy of treating the world like an all-day smorgasboard while working it off with exercise. I've never done it:

1) I've never had the time;

2) I don't love exercise.

Even if one could do this, it would be dangerous to pig out while relying on extraordinary amounts of exercise to create a calorie deficit. What if you don't have time? What if you get injured and can't resume your previous level of exercise and get really fat during your recovery? What happens when you get old and can't exercise with the same intensity? No, it's best to eat normally and exercise reasonably.

Well said.
  • defyallodds
    defyallodds Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    well, i'm 5'2" and around 128 and can maintain eating around 2,300 cals/day while running about 40 miles per week in a sedentary job...so...I want to lose weight, but yeah, I just know that that's my maintenance...i too have trouble restricting calories and would rather exercise more so I can eat more, although sometimes exercising so much just takes a lot of time!
  • defyallodds
    defyallodds Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    what kind of exercise? if you do cardio for 4 hours you can burn a lot more than doing strength training or easier cardio. running burns a ton of calories per hour. it also depends on the intensity...
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I eat out A LOT (almost Daily) but I do watch what I eat, and order things Grilled or Broiled, with Sauces or Gravy 'on the side'.
    I exercise an Average of 90 - 120 minutes a Day, a combination of Cardio & Strength Training.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat better but I keep having slip ups from stress/school/situations etc. I have been exercising a good 4-5 times a week (cardio and resistance training for my muscles :smile: ) and making sure I make better choices MOST of the time. Some days I'm eating well over 2000 calories (ESPECIALLY WEEKENDS) and I'm still losing about a pound a week. I only have about 10 pounds to lose so this is perfect for me. It is refreshing to know that I am not the only one that doesn't have to starve themselves to lose weight.

Maybe I'm just lucky. I have been active all of my life which I think aids in my muscle tone and metabolism. It wasn't until the past few months that some weight crept up on me (school, fast food, stopped exercising). I lost that very easily when I added exercise and made better food choices.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options

The OP, on the other hand, wants to eat 2,500+ per day. Imagine how much exercise he/she would have to do to make that realistic! Four hours a day of cycling? Five hours? This is the same person who says that he/she doesn't have enough time to count calories!

The OP states that she did 7 hours of cardio and 2 hours of strength training during the week, and averaged about 2500 calories a day.