Differences in Polar HRM's

Options
Does anyone know the differences in the Polar HRM's? I can't seem to figure out which one is best for me as they all seem to do the same thing but in different price ranges. If you have one can you tell me what you love about it and why you picked it over the others? I have looked at the FT4, Ft60, FT7 but am more confused than ever. I appreciate your help!

Replies

• libby555
    libby555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Help please!
  • ginamcoyle
    Options
    Bump! I have been looking at the Polar FT4 but I relly have no idea what the differences are other than the price!
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have a polar 4. works great for me.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7. I've heard that it is more accurate. I've also heard that you can link it to a program on your computer?
    There weren't too many to choose from at the sport store I went to. So, I got this one. I'm really happy with it. (I did find it a little pricey)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4:
    Holds 10 workouts
    Counts Calories
    Comes with a Chest Strap
    Tells you what your heart rate should between
    Comes in 3 colors

Polar FT7:
    Holds 99 workouts
    Counts Calories
    Comes with a Chest Strap
    Tells you if you are in the fat burning/fitness zone
    Allows you to upload data to the Polar website via the optional flow link attachment
    Comes in 4 colors

Polar FT60:
    Holds 99 workouts
    Counts calories(tells you what percentage was fat)
    Comes with a Chest Strap
    Splits your heart rate into 3 zones
    Comes with a training program(for weight loss, fitness and one more I can't remember)
    allows you to upload data to the polar website via the optional flow link attachment
    Allows you to manually enter Vo2max( and has a test that will determine it for you)
    Comes in 2 colors.

I think I got all the info :)
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I went to the Polar website and compare them on there, very helpful.
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    The FT4 is really all you need unless you really feel the need to upload your workout stats to polar's website. It's only like 4 numbers, so writing it down in your MFP workout notes is not really a big deal.

I have the FT4, it tells you calories burnt, target heart rate zone, max heart rate, average heart rate, time in zone, and length of workout. It remembers the last few (evidently 10) workouts. I'm super happy with it. Don't waste money on more expensive ones.
  • jaweiss1
    jaweiss1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a FT60, it works fairly well. If I had it to do over again, i would get a model that allowed storage and upload of the heart rate *history*, so I could look at it as a function of time during workouts. The FT80 and some other more expensive models such as the CS600 have this feature. My FT60 only gives me average heart rate and calories burned at the end of the workout, as well as time spent in one of three "zones".

I don't know if they even still make it, but do NOT buy the FT60 with the amber background and black text. That's the one I have, and it is extremely difficult to read the display. It looks like this:

http://ucables.com/img/ipics/POLAR-FT60-MENS-HEART-R63608.jpg

The Polar calorie formulas that incorporate your VO2max (via either the "Polar Fitness Test" or via a user-supplied value) are more accurate than those that do not. I believe that this feature is not available on the FT7 and FT4.
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE my PT4, not too complicated and gets the job done.
  • azbutterfly1324
    azbutterfly1324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40f. I like it because it's white and more 'girly' looking. I also love how easy it is! During my workout, I can see my heart rate and my total calories burned. It also beeps when I enter each 'zone', fat burning, fitness, and over. After the workout, it shows me how long I was in each zone and what percentage of my calorie burn was fat. It holds a pretty big history of workouts, but I don't really use that part.