Question on sore muscles ...

Options
Is it okay to work out more, despite muscles being sore? Or are you supposed to rest them until they're not as sore?

I don't want to push myself too hard or prevent muscle from building, but I'd like to do weights more often. I can push through the soreness, but I guess my question is, can I?

Replies

• SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Give your muscles at least 24 - 48 hours to recover from your last lifting routine.... recovery is when the magic happens! :) If it's just soreness from cardio, then giver hell!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Listen to what your body tells you to do, but muscle soreness does not have to prevent you from working out.
  • swycoff17
    swycoff17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. When I'm just "a little sore" I will workout those muscles, if they are really sore, I'll make sure to take the day off. Typically I alternate muscle groups for different days, for example, m, w, f are lower body, t, th, s are upper body. And then I do abs (different intensity levels) almost everyday. Cardio everyday as well.
    It's OK for your muscles to be sore, but you have to listen to your body, if you're really sore, you need to make sure to rest your body as to not hurt yourself.
    It's also important when your muscles are sore to drink plenty of water, STRETCH your muscles and make sure you get potassium (like a banana) to help with the healing process.
  • sunshinekind919
    sunshinekind919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel that working out with sore muscles helps work out the soreness. I usually take it slower in the beginning though, because then if it turns into a genuine hurt you can stop.
  • xcrmonger
    xcrmonger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. When I'm just "a little sore" I will workout those muscles, if they are really sore, I'll make sure to take the day off. Typically I alternate muscle groups for different days, for example, m, w, f are lower body, t, th, s are upper body. And then I do abs (different intensity levels) almost everyday. Cardio everyday as well.
    It's OK for your muscles to be sore, but you have to listen to your body, if you're really sore, you need to make sure to rest your body as to not hurt yourself.
    It's also important when your muscles are sore to drink plenty of water, STRETCH your muscles and make sure you get potassium (like a banana) to help with the healing process.

I think I can manage that. I LOVE bananas. I've been doing just cardio for a couple months, but stepped up to cardio + weights yesterday. And I am sore, sore, sore... but all I want to do is go and do MORE. It felt so good! I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. :)
  • dfarmer6
    dfarmer6 Posts: 5
    Options
    Sore muscles: rest them or you can do a recovery workout in the case of leg muscles. Slow walk or slow bike ride. This will increase circulation and help remove the lactic acid build up helping you recover faster. You must drink plenty of water to help flush the lactic acid out.
    Like many have said the magic happen during recovery or rest.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Give your muscles at least 24 - 48 hours to recover from your last lifting routine.... recovery is when the magic happens! :) If it's just soreness from cardio, then giver hell!

^^This!! Overtraining won't give you results, but if you're just starting you'll be really sore all over for a few weeks. Drink lots of water, take ibuprofen, and push through mild soreness. After a while, it'll actually be difficult to achieve soreness, and you'll be craving it!! Lol. Have fun girl!
  • xcrmonger
    xcrmonger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to post an image, so... this is sort of related...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/bearded_lady/20120316_143236.jpg?t=1331930204

hehe.