Volumizing (eat more to weigh less)

Options
Balance27
Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
I read an article in this months Health magazine about volumizing. Wondering if anyone has any recipes or meal ideas?

Replies

• fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    ahhh ... maybe you need to share a little more about volumizing ... or are you just looking for recipes???
  • Balance27
    Options
    I am looking for recipes and for meal ideas. The article I was reading talked about choosing foods that are lower in calories per bite so you end up eating a greater volume of food. I wanted to know if anyone is using this type of plan and what they eat.
  • Pandalicious
    Options
    A great food to add volume to a meal is shirataki noodles. Only 20 calories for a 4 oz. serving!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I do this. I'll add spaghetti squash to a pasta dish, or tons of veggies to a rice and chicken dish. When I make prepared soups I add in tons more veggies. Make an open faced sandwich and pile high with veggies. I make HUGE salads, with tons of low calorie veggies and then appropriate amounts of cheese, meat, and dressing. If I eat a lean cuisine, I'll mix in more veggies to make it a bigger meal. I have a huge appetite, so volumizing has done wonders for staying full and tricking my mind into thinking I'm eating more because I'll have HUGE plates of food in front of me.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I read an article in this months Health magazine about volumizing. Wondering if anyone has any recipes or meal ideas?

To be honest, you would need to be alot more specific on what you are looking for. There are tons of free websites at your discretion to research recipes.... whatever your likes, dislikes, allergies are, no one knows this so its really better if you search for the recipes that would interest you.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    One of my favorite meals is ****ake mushroom and asparagus stirfry. I use soy butter. Clean, cut, and cook the asparagus in water, dump out water, pour asparagus into stirfry pan, add butter, mushrooms and garlic and soy sauce and (almost forgot) about a tablespoon of sweet vermouth. You can also look it up online for better details. It's very low calorie and packed with nutrients.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am looking for recipes and for meal ideas. The article I was reading talked about choosing foods that are lower in calories per bite so you end up eating a greater volume of food. I wanted to know if anyone is using this type of plan and what they eat.

^ This can be a very effective strategy. I do this when I'm cutting, to some degree. For me, Tilapia and a green vegetable like broccoli or green beans is a very effective meal. I'll very regularly knock out a full pound of fish and a massive bowl of veggies and walk away STUFFED, and put a huge dent in my protein macro for the day.

Another one is spinach salad. I'll chop up turkey and cheese and use a reduced calorie dressing and a buttload of spinach, and I'll eat it out of a serving bowl meant for a family.

These aren't really recipes, just examples of applying this concept.

I do think this is a worthy think to delve into.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I got censored for saying ****ake mushrooms. Too funny. Stupid computer!!
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I got censored for saying ****ake mushrooms. Too funny. Stupid computer!!
    I noticed that, too. LOL
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I really think "volumizing" with most any vegetable is going to help. Most veggies are low in cals and can put a hungry stomach to rest for a while. I am a huge fan of "garbage salads", I just throw whatever veggies and meats I have in it and by the time I am done, I have enough for two people. I like to choose some veggies that are wet (cucumbers, celery, etc) so I can use less dressing.
  • Balance27
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking into more too to help me find new tastes. =)
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i do this- i just add a buttload of veggies to everything- full pot of spaghetti sauce, with only one pound of ground beef- 2 large onions, hald head of cabbage small diced, diced bell peppers, mushrooms, shredded carrots, diced zuccini, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, etc... It tates amazing, has great texture, and nocks down teh calories substantially.

Same thing with sheppards pie- do half meat, half a mix of onions, cabbage, diced broccoli, cauliflower, shredded or diced carrots, bell peppers zucchini, mushrooms ( those are my base veggies- i often fry up together in a HUGE batch and then freeze in big tupperwear )

same goes for lasagna - sometimes skip pasta all together and use zuccini instead

any soups i do this way- for example today i made 'leftover' turkey soup- used turkey stock i had made 2c of my veggie base, couple ounces leftover turkey some leftover brown basmati and had a great soup.

Chili i make pretty much the same as spagetti sauce, but ad kidney and black beans.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I got my issue today too - and I read it. There is also a book listed at the bottom The Volumizing Diet. I've definitely been doing this lately, exception being today! :] good luck!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about that plan. Dr. Barbara Rolls founded the Volumetrics diet plan. She has written lots of books. You can check her out online. They were available at my public library. I just reserved her latest.
  • mrsking218
    mrsking218 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I read the article in Health, and there was a list of produce that she considers free foods because the calories are so low - does anyone have that list? I can't find my copy!
  • Balance27
    Options
    I read the article in Health, and there was a list of produce that she considers free foods because the calories are so low - does anyone have that list? I can't find my copy!

I remember canteloupes, asparagus, salad greens. I know there are more. I think carrots and celery. Strawberrys seem to be pretty low too.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to any of my recipes on rillsmenu.com. A lot of them are vegetarian. Vegetables are low cal so you can eat a lot of them. It sounds like that's kinda what you're looking for. But I like variety so you'll also find meat and pasta and other dishes in my menus too. ^_^
  • mrsking218
    Options

I remember canteloupes, asparagus, salad greens. I know there are more. I think carrots and celery. Strawberrys seem to be pretty low too.

Thank you - that was pretty much what I remember too. Maybe bell peppers? They seem mostly water!
  • mrsking218
    Options
    Just found it! If anyone is interested, these are the foods they list as being packed with 80 to 95% water (i.e. you can pretty much have as much as you want within reason)

Celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, salad greens, asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, red bell peppers, carrots, cantaloupe and oranges
  • jts77
    jts77 Posts: 4
    Options
    Heres a great Hungry Girl recipe I use for days when I need a bit more to fill my plate, 3 ingredients and super easy too.

1 can sloppy joe sauce
    1 bag of Broccolli slaw (Manns)
    12 oz extra lean ground turkey, browned (Jennie-O extra lean 99%)

Mix all ingredients together on medium heat on stove top until broccolli is softened, serve on its own as a hot dish or on a 100 calorie thin round bun.

This makes 2 large servings @ 335 calories or 3 regular sized ones @ 223 calories.

Also, when I am super hungry, I eat egg beaters and mix different veggies in. You can eat alot for a small amount of calories.