BMR/TDEE for Gastric Bypass Patients

Options
So my mother had gastric bypass in December 2005. She lost 130 pounds, but she has gained about 25 back.
According to the internet, her ideal weight is somewhere around 99-126 pounds.
My mom is 52 years old, and I remember seeing her at 120 pounds- she looked sickly and disgusting. We're aiming for something around 130.

She currently weighs 148 pounds. She'd like to lose 18 pounds by Memorial Day (I told her there was no way that would happen the healthy way). I told her she could maybe lose .5 pounds per week.

I was looking around and BMR and TDEE, and then it hit me- she's had gastric bypass. Do these numbers still apply to her?

Honestly, she doesn't look bad at all. She has loose skin that she thinks is fat (there's probably a little fat but nothing that's not normal).
I keep telling her lifting weights is going to get her closer to her goals than intense cardio and calorie-cutting, but again, it's hard to convince her.

So anybody got any ideas for BMR/TDEE for a 5'1", 52 year old female who had gastric bypass almost 7 years ago? I'm not letting her crash diet, and she said she'd follow my plan if I help her set it up...

Replies

• hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't personally have much experience with this but it would seem that because her stomach has been surgically made smaller that she should focus on small, frequent meals. That is the only difference that I would think would have much impact.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I just checked out this site which could help her find her BMR and TDEE with what looks like fairly good accuracy.
    The rest of her body should function as any other 52 yr old womans so her BMR wouldn't be different.

Once again, not an expert but hope this helps. Good luck to you both!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    So my mother had gastric bypass in December 2005. She lost 130 pounds, but she has gained about 25 back.
    My mom is 52 years old, and I remember seeing her at 120 pounds- she looked sickly and disgusting. We're aiming for something around 130.

She currently weighs 148 pounds. She'd like to lose 18 pounds by Memorial Day (I told her there was no way that would happen the healthy way). I told her she could maybe lose .5 pounds per week.

I was looking around and BMR and TDEE, and then it hit me- she's had gastric bypass. Do these numbers still apply to her?

Honestly, she doesn't look bad at all. She has loose skin that she thinks is fat (there's probably a little fat but nothing that's not normal).
    I keep telling her lifting weights is going to get her closer to her goals than intense cardio and calorie-cutting, but again, it's hard to convince her.

So anybody got any ideas for BMR/TDEE for a 5'1", 52 year old female who had gastric bypass almost 7 years ago? I'm not letting her crash diet, and she said she'd follow my plan if I help her set it up...
    It takes work to keep your weight off even with the surgery but yeah it is the same still apply =)
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    First of all, let me congratulate you for caring about your mom enough to help her reach her goals. Secondly, you are helping her reach them the right way and considering her special circumstances and that is to be commended as well! You are a wonderful daughter! She must be proud of you! Also, keep in mind that she had some special trials to go through to achieve the 130 lb loss, but these are different than what you or I might face to lose the same 130 lbs.

I would have her consult with the doctor that did her surgery or the folks that helped her with her follow up OR help her do an internet search for a GB support group, because they would know best what factors might influence her success.

Most of all, whatever she does to lose weight, keep being beautiful you and supporting her efforts and if she has to do things differently than you, be understanding of the methodology, so you can support her.

Way to go helping her reach her goals! God bless you both as you strive for healthy bods!!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, BMR and TDEE still apply after gastric bypass. They are still human and burn calories for their normal metabolism and daily activity. They just have a harder time eating enough because of the reduction in stomach size. Also, because of the loose skin, it is harder to get a body fat reading with calipers so she will have to use other methods to determine body composition. If you want to PM me I can help you figure out her numbers, though, so you can set her up on a personalized plan.
  • Darhep
    Darhep Posts: 25
    Options

I too had gastric bypass, I am 4 years out. She can contact where she had the surgery done for specifics, but she is still in maintanence and where I had it done suggests 1200 calories there. We are still different no matter how far out. She needs to watch carbs again and increase her protein, almost like when she was loosing in the first place. You are a great daughter for caring about her! Glad to help with what ever I can!