FAT FREE FOODS

Options
I've recently (2 yrs) started eating alot of fat free foods, but now Im seeing concerns of chemical content and even that they don't help with weight loss. I really like to know what yall think.

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't eat stuff like that for the reasons you state in your concern. Your body needs fat, fat is not the enemy, and fat-free foods tend to have a lot of...stuff in them. Look at lowfat or fat free sour cream. It's full of body enhancers and other things.

I've been tracking calories only, not fat, and it's made a big, big difference in my overall health. And my fur is shiny. :)

Michael Pollan discusses this stuff in his great book "In Defense of Food". He suggests looking at food labels and choosing only REAL foods. You can tell them by how many ingredients are in them.
    Sour cream can have one ingredient or 20. Which is healthier? I'll pick the one that has one ingredient.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Fat free stuff usually just has more bad ingredients and more sugar. The best approach is to just try and focus on eating foods with clean ingredients lists. The only 'fat free' food I buy is the fat free cottage cheese because it's still clean and has good stats but thats dependent on the brand too. Fats are important as long as your getting them from healthy foods.
  • Robbie32
    Robbie32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your posts. A lot of times when I eat the fat free I don't feel like I've eaten real nutritious food. So looking at overall calories instead of fat contents makes sense. When I was young and much thinner I hated the non fat trend, but as I got bigger I figured maybe its a good way to cheat, but most of the food tastes horrible anyway. Hooray for not being afraid of real food!!