New ideas for vegetables??

Options
momof3boys090808
momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
I need help with coming up with recipes for vegetables. I eat the same veggies all the time. I bake or steam with onion powder and it's not so thrilling. Ha! Any low calorie recipes would help. I eat lots of chicken so maybe recipes that go with both?? Thanks :)

Replies

• crivera12398
    Options
    Maybe mashed squash is always gd...boil, mash then add cinnamon or nutmeg n whatever else you want.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I drizzle different flavors of low-calorie salad dressing on my veggies. Gives it a punch of flavor.

Newman's Sesame Ginger is one I use a LOT, also, raspberry vinaigrette is yummy.
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I try to mix it up a bit for veggies, but there's only so many different vegetables available in my little town grocery store. I watch for what's fresh & on sale and normally go by that....If it can be baked with a bit of Parmesan cheese & garlic powder, I do it....tastes awesome (like asparagus, for example)
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    Steamed veggie's are okay, but after months and months, I needed a change.

I now use a non-stick frying pan, one or two tablespoons of Smart Balance Light and saute them. If the pan gets too dry, I add a little water. I sprinkle a little bit of Weber's Kickin' Chicken seasoning and they're good to go. This works with any frozen or fresh vege and I add some shredded cabbage to bring it all together. Easy and cooks in 5 minutes. Good Luck !!!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, mixed with olive oil and shredded parmesan, baked on a grill or in the oven.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    How about stir frying them? :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Stir fry baby! If you want to keep the cals low you can just use organic olive oil Pam spray as the base. You can throw in whatever veggies your imagination allows. Experiment with seasonings in there too. I just tried McCormicks citrus dash and it was pretty great. Sometimes I season with strawberry balsamic vinegar, sometimes with wine, sometimes with lemon juice, sometimes with slightly more processed sauces like Iron Chef Mu Shu Hoisin. If you're going for asian you can throw in some nuts in the last minute too. The possibilities are endless!
  • Gentlecowboy
    Options
    Try some stir fry with portabello mushrooms, peppers, fine chopped onions, fresh garlic and Indian masala little bit of olive oil fresh chopped tomatoes, sea salt, chopped turnip, diced fresh carrots and the list goes on. We do it all the time. Add some white basmati rice and your good to go in half an hour. I am vegetarian and I have a lot of recipes that I will be posting on the data base.
    You can also stir fry chopped kale and Swiss chard, or bok choi, beat salad, with balsamic vinegar. I never use artificial or ready made dressings. You can also make sliced cellary root with sliced potatoes and carrots, and onions as a caserole. I hope this helps
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Butternut squash fries (http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/414) and I make a delicious mashed cauliflower!

1 Head of cauliflower
    6oz Plain nonfat greek yogurt
    Clove or two of garlic, chopped up
    2 tbsp Butter (I use light butter)
    Salt (or garlic salt)
    Pepper

Boil the florets only for about 8-9 minutes. I then throw them in a bowl (or your food processor) with the rest of the ingredients and use my hand blender until everything is smooth and creamy. Salt and pepper to taste.

It's delicious!
  • bobthesmogs
    bobthesmogs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Butternut squash fries (http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/414) and I make a delicious mashed cauliflower!

1 Head of cauliflower
    6oz Plain nonfat greek yogurt
    Clove or two of garlic, chopped up
    2 tbsp Butter (I use light butter)
    Salt (or garlic salt)
    Pepper

Boil the florets only for about 8-9 minutes. I then throw them in a bowl (or your food processor) with the rest of the ingredients and use my hand blender until everything is smooth and creamy. Salt and pepper to taste.

It's delicious!

Oh this sounds so yummy. I've been doing it without the yoghurt and garlic and loving it, but I'm going to try your version tonight. Thanks
  • liscain
    liscain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend throws a bowl full of spinach, some grapes, a quarter of a lime and some ice in a blender...I SWEAR! you DO NOT taste the spinach...you just taste the lime
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Edamame, yummy! You can use some soy sauce and some sea salt on them but I just put bag in the microwave and then dash some garlic salt on them.

Another really good one is roasted caulifllower. Drizzler oliver oil over a head of caulifloweer with some garlic salt and rosemary (if you have some) and bake at 400 for about 25 minutes or until it browns.

Another is tomato parmesean. Cut tomato in half, put panko bread crumbs and parm cheese on top of open faced tomato halves, drizzle with a touch of olive oil or spray some PAM for lower cal option and bake tomatos at 375 for 20 minutes. Really yummy!
  • rachelcschmidt
    Options
    I've gotten into the McCormick perfect pinch seasonings, they're salt free and give variety to my steamed veggies!
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    Roasting is my favorite way to do veggies (unless it's summer and they can kabob-ed and grilled!)
    Great roasting combo: eggplant, onion, cherry tomatoes (just add a little olive oil, salt and pepper before cooking)
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Stiry fry, bake em in the oven, grill them on the BBQ ... batter them in panko breadcrumbs or a bit of nutritional yeast and fry them... so many great options! My favs to do this with? Broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, eggplant. And can't forget the squash. Oh, and the sweet potatoes. Yum!

Check out skinnytaste.com, a slew of fantastic recipes!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    food.com always gives me great new ideas for food.
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    Check out the blog "a veggie venture" : http://aveggieventuresrecipebox.blogspot.ca/2005/03/alphabet-of-vegetables_6295.html

Great resource, she has recipes and basics on pretty much every vegetable that exists.
  • jfed72
    jfed72 Posts: 1
    Options
    Saute in a good olive oil with capers, lemon juice and crushed garlic with a sprinkle of sea salt at the very end. This is really especially good with julienned zucchini and served with thin chicken breast cutlets.....