Lost weight by exercising a lot WHILE EATING A LOT (about 2,

Options
2»

Replies

• abbygm
    abbygm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the consensus in this thread. It is a slippery slope to rely on high cardiac output in the form of exercise to maintain your eating patterns. I am a marathon runner and run 50-60 miles weekly (usually 10 to 12 hours/week of intense exercise -- running 8-20 miles at 8mph daily). I also lift weights, swim and bike 2-3 times weekly. I do this because I love it. I count my calories on fitness pal to maintain my weight and to do this I eat about 2000-2500 calories/day. However, weeks that I cut back on my exercise, I have to cut my calories back as well. The more exercise that you do and the more fit you become the more conservative your body will become-- meaning you burn fewer calories and so you then need to exercise more to eat the amount you want. If you are exercising just to eat more, it probably is not the most ideal way to lose weight. if you are doing it because you love it - then go for it and realize that you will have to adjust your intake as you become more fit.
  • karinemary
    Options
    I am 5'4 female and eat alot even though my limit on FP is 1200 cals! I'm exercising about an hour cardio 3 x a week
    Can i lose weight on this? And the thing about spending fewer cals than I eat, does that mean if my limit is 1200, I should look to burn 1300 or so?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to out train a bad diet for long. You will have to look at the food soon. You can still eat a lit by eating the right things. My body had proved to me many a time that this is not just calories in vs calories out.

If it works for you and your happy with it carry on, but I'm pretty soon your going to need to look closer at this very soon. 2500 calories is a lot to be burning off and making a deficit on top of that.

Good luck.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    I eat alot, and burn alot. I usualy get into ketosis after my intensive interval cardio training (4+ hours) + strenght training and calisthenics. This means you don't need to be an elite athlete to burn 2100 cals or more; you just need to have a 100 lbs excess weight and alot of lean body mass.
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird that you justify not tracking by saying "i don't have time, i don't even have time for this post, i need to be studying" but you're willing to add hours to your gym time to be able to eat whatever you want.

I think you should call a spade a spade. It sounds (to me) like you want to eat crap because you've got an exam coming up (hello, stress eating!) and you are wanting permission/validatin from the community that this is fine.

if you don't have time to track your calories, where are the hours for the gym coming from? where is the time to type out these long posts?

You obviously do what you want an i hope it works for you (and i have heard of people eating heartily and working out aggressively and maintaining an acceptable weight), but don't say you're following this plan due to time constraints. your plan is not saving you any time (and when you're REALLY screwed and down to the wire, i bet you keep eating crap and drop the workout regime).

IMO, you're looking for a reason to make choices you know you shouldn't be making. eating poorly and in restaurants constantly is, for many, a bad habit that works against weight loss. it's up to you whether you want to practice a bad habit and tell yourself its for the best.

good luck on your test!
  • purrtypaws
    Options
    Wow, this thread got revived after almost a year! I apologize for not responding to most of the posts; I don't know what happened; I think I thought not many people would respond and just forgot about this thread. Now I've read all the posts, and they are very helpful or interesting, so thank you, everyone.
    I think it's weird that you justify not tracking by saying "i don't have time, i don't even have time for this post, i need to be studying" but you're willing to add hours to your gym time to be able to eat whatever you want.

I think you should call a spade a spade. It sounds (to me) like you want to eat crap because you've got an exam coming up (hello, stress eating!) and you are wanting permission/validatin from the community that this is fine.

if you don't have time to track your calories, where are the hours for the gym coming from? where is the time to type out these long posts?

You obviously do what you want an i hope it works for you (and i have heard of people eating heartily and working out aggressively and maintaining an acceptable weight), but don't say you're following this plan due to time constraints. your plan is not saving you any time (and when you're REALLY screwed and down to the wire, i bet you keep eating crap and drop the workout regime).

IMO, you're looking for a reason to make choices you know you shouldn't be making. eating poorly and in restaurants constantly is, for many, a bad habit that works against weight loss. it's up to you whether you want to practice a bad habit and tell yourself its for the best.

good luck on your test!

I think you and everyone else are right. I sometimes have a problem with stress eating and binge eating, and I LOVE eating yummy food, so I wanted to figure out a way to feel like I'm not restraining myself much eating-wise while still losing weight slowly, but when I made this thread, I was thinking, "Well, I've been spending about an hour a day counting calories (because I ate a lot of food for which the calorie information wasn't easy to find or figure out), so it would probably be healthier and more productive to spend that hour working out instead," ...but what ended up happening is that I got so stressed out with my studies that I gave up all exercise too; then I wasn't counting calories or exercising for several periods of time over the past year, and so I gained a little weight.

On February 28th, 2013, I decided to start trying to lose weight again and start using MFP and my Fitbit Ultra. The past 4.5 weeks have been great! What I do now is mentally set my goal to just losing 0.5 lbs. per week (250 calorie deficit per day), but on MFP and Fitbit, I set the goals at losing a whole pound per week (500 calorie deficit per day). Then, I can still have days where I eat a lot more than I burn, but those days balance out with the days that I have a 500-calorie deficit, and then I still end up losing half a pound or more per week on average. On average, I have lost 0.7 lbs. per week, so I am happy. For the first 4 weeks, there were 3 days (not each week, but for all 4 weeks) when I didn't log at all because those days I ate a lot of food at restaurants, and it was just too difficult to estimate the calories I ate, and I knew I ate more than I burned, so I just thought of it as like a "cheat" day and didn't log it (one day, for example, included a buffet at Mr. Gatti's, and I ate a lot --whatever I wanted), and there were some days I did log when I ate 2400 to 2700 calories, but, like I said, those days balanced out with the days I had a calorie deficit. For the days when I did keep track of the calories consumed (every day for the past 4.5 weeks, except for 3 days), I ate an average of 1,890 calories. I only averaged about 1.5 hours of cardio and about 2.5 hours of strength training per week, but now my focus is on calorie counting than exercising because I know there will be some weeks when I'll exercise more or less, and I will just adapt my calorie intake according to what MFP or Fitbit tells me. Now my focus is on trying to follow a 500-calorie deficit plan on most days but allowing myself to indulge and overeat on some days so that I don't feel too deprived --then I'll still lose half a pound or more per week and be happy. I feel like this is the best plan for me that I can stick to forever :-)
    I am 5'4 female and eat alot even though my limit on FP is 1200 cals! I'm exercising about an hour cardio 3 x a week
    Can i lose weight on this? And the thing about spending fewer cals than I eat, does that mean if my limit is 1200, I should look to burn 1300 or so?

Unless you have a health problem, I think a person will always lose fat if he/she is burning more calories than they consume. I don't think anyone's total daily calorie burn can be less then 1,200, even on days when they don't do ANY exercise (unless they have a medical problem), so yes, you should be able to lose weight eating 1200 calories per day while exercising 3 hours per week --I think you should be able to lose weight eating 1200 calories per day even if you didn't do any exercise, (but you should do at least 2.5 hours of cardio per week for heart health). I recommend that you get a Fitbit and link it to your MyFitnessPal account (I really want the new one called Fitbit Flex or whatever; I have the Fitbit Ultra) --that will tell you how much you burn every day, and it will even keep track of the extra calories you burn while grocery shopping or anywhere. I am 5'3" and 161-163 lbs., and even on days when I don't do any exercise, the minimum I've burnt on a day is 1,838 calories, but most days, it's more because even if I run only one errand or just some chores, it can add a couple hundred calories to that, so if you weigh less than me and happen to burn about 1700 calories per day without exericse, then your calorie deficit would be 500 if you ate 1200, which would equate to 1 pound of fat loss per week (and again, that's WITHOUT exercise).
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to lose weight by exercise alone. Now, exercise AND watching what I eat? Yes! That is the combination that works for me because I can still eat a pretty good amount, not feel like I'm starving all the time and lose weight.

I've tried to lose weight by just exercising and ended up not losing anything!
  • purrtypaws
    Options
    I have never been able to lose weight by exercise alone. Now, exercise AND watching what I eat? Yes! That is the combination that works for me because I can still eat a pretty good amount, not feel like I'm starving all the time and lose weight.

I've tried to lose weight by just exercising and ended up not losing anything!

Yeah, you're right. Now I know to do both. I think before, whenever someone said, "watch what you eat," I was thinking that you have to feel like you're deprived and hungry most of the time, but I've been losing weight while counting calories and working out a moderate amount, and haven't felt too deprived (but it helps that I don't set my calorie-deficit goal so high and am just happy losing weight SLOWLY).
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Even when I exercised a lot, I never relied on it for weight loss or maintenance. I watched what I ate. I've never been overweight. Make no mistake, exercise is important for health, weight loss not so much, especially if you are planning on overeating.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    LOL @ 2500 calories being "a lot"

When cutting (which I'm about to do in a couple weeks), I set MFP to net 2200 calories, which gives me 1.0 lb/wk loss. Add in my ~800 calorie average per day exercise, and I eat 3K+ almost every day.

For that exercise
    - I do something every day
    - Walk 2 miles on my lunch breaks M-F
    - Run 2x a week, a shorter faster run (~5k), and a longer slower run (~5m)
    - Strengh train 4x a week, about 1.5 hours each
    - Do 1-1.5 hours of yoga once a week
  • purrtypaws
    Options
    Even when I exercised a lot, I never relied on it for weight loss or maintenance. I watched what I ate. I've never been overweight. Make no mistake, exercise is important for health, weight loss not so much, especially if you are planning on overeating.

Thank you for your response, but how can it not be important for weight loss? And wouldn't it be especially important if one is overeating so that they burn the extra calories they're consuming? Burning more calories than calories consumed leads to fat loss, and exercise burns calories, right? But if what you're saying is that exercise won't result in weight loss if a person eats so much that they still aren't burning more than they consume, even with exercise, then I get that.

When cutting (which I'm about to do in a couple weeks), I set MFP to net 2200 calories, which gives me 1.0 lb/wk loss. Add in my ~800 calorie average per day exercise, and I eat 3K+ almost every day.

For that exercise

Thank you for your response. Wow, is your metabolism very high because you have a lot of muscle? How did you figure out that 2200 is what you need to net in order to lose 1 lb. --just by trial and error, or did you use some formula, or some body composition monitor?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

For that exercise

Thank you for your response. Wow, is your metabolism very high because you have a lot of muscle? How did you figure out that 2200 is what you need to net in order to lose 1 lb. --just by trial and error, or did you use some formula, or some body composition monitor?

I keep a spreadsheet that calulates what my theoretical maintence should be for the previous 2 weeks by reconciling weigh ins (1 lb = 3500 cal) with daily calorie data from MFP. Been at it almost a year and a half now losing/gaining/maintaining, so I have enough data to cut through the noise of the fluctuations quite well.
  • purrtypaws
    Options

For that exercise

I keep a spreadsheet that calulates what my theoretical maintence should be for the previous 2 weeks by reconciling weigh ins (1 lb = 3500 cal) with daily calorie data from MFP. Been at it almost a year and a half now losing/gaining/maintaining, so I have enough data to cut through the noise of the fluctuations quite well.

Oh, that sounds smart. I keep a spreadsheet too but haven't tried to calculate that --I don't know how to "cut through the noise of the fluctuations" because I've been recording my weight on numerous days of the week (I want to daily but often forget to), and it seems like it can take anywhere from 1 to 4 days for the calories eaten on one day to finally show up on the scale (like if I overate 500 calories more than maintenance on a Monday, the fat gain from that could occur as early as Tuesday or as late as Saturday), so that makes me think my calculation won't be right if I try to calculate my theoretical maintenance. Do you weight yourself daily? If so, does your fat gain/loss always take the same number of days to show up on your body after a certain day's consumption? How many days?
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I eat a lot I have to lift real heavy and a lot so then the food can go to muscles rather than killing myself with cardio. I mainly do cardio because I enjoy it and exercising outdoors but as soon as I reduce my exercise and my large consumption starts to turn from clean healthy food to processed junk then the weight starts coming back. Im bad when it comes to low cal as I just end up binging anyway when Im in a *kitten* mood lol so eating more good food helps
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot, & exercise a lot!!! But then I used to feel like I had to go to the gym all the time to burn off all them added calories. So turned into a vicious circle for me. I ended up being over the gym for ages, and could never make evening commitments as I wanted to work out. Hey, if you can keep up with the workouts & manage to eat more calories, go for it!! Now I am trying to eat less, and not workout so much.... Have more of a social life .. apart from the gym lol... Good luck!!! Just don't burn yourself out without, that's what I say!!!

Calories in v's calories out at the end of the day
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did this it's about the healthiest way to do it. I was eating 2500 calories a day and still losing 3 - 4lbs a week. I am currently moving towards maintenence. Currently eating 3000 calories and still losing. Will be upping again if I'm still losing after another week. I am a 6 foot 4 male with a large frame though. So being very active my numbers are going to be high.