Runners- Safety Measures?

Options
janeosu
janeosu Posts: 140 Member
Today I went to an access road in town and set out to do a 6 mile run- it's a straight road up and back. There was NO ONE on the road where there are often runners, walkers, bikes, etc. I wasn't really worried about it (and it was actually kind of nice), but as I was stretching these guys drove by and looked at me, they pulled over and parked up the road from where I was - the closer I got, I realized they were just sitting on the side of the road with a car door open and were looking back toward me. I got closer and another car door opened- but no one got out. Who knows. It didn't feel RIGHT. All I know is I turned around one mile into my run and ran a REALLY FAST mile back to my car and didn't look back. I went somewhere else to finish my run.

Here's what's getting me -- I want to run. I want to train. I want to do long runs on the weekend. I don't want to keep doing the same 2 loops of neighborhood roads and repeating the same things over and over to increase my mileage. I don't really have friends who run. No running clubs here. I'm kind of on my own with the running :) Where is the line between enjoying a long run on a country road and being careful because there are creeps in the world? I am not one to let fear steal my joy and keep me from doing the things I love- I won't allow fear to rule me, but I also don't want to be stupid.

So runners, especially the ladies, what do you do to keep yourself safe when you're out running? Any advice?

Replies

• janeosu
    Options
    BUMP
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    what time of day did you go out? I only walk or run outside when it is light out.

try running somewhere more populated--it's not as peaceful, but it is safer.

if you can, keep your phone on you, or make sure to tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back.

get a dog to exercise with--even though I have a little dog, she has a vicious bark, and I feel safer when I have her with me.

hope these help!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    situational awareness
    running partner
    daylight over darkness
    PEPPER SPRAY!!!

I don't recommend firearms, knives, or dogs. These can get you into bigger trouble than you can ever imagine.
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That must've been scarey. You made the right decision to turn around. I'm lucky I have a run club and friends who run so I've never experienced anything like that, even when on my own.

Do you have anyone that would ride a bike, or rollerblade beside you while you run?
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Last Sunday I witnessed a domestic violence dispute and had to call 9-1-1. This was at a house along a well populated neighborhood and a well traveled road (both cars and runners). The guy looked right at me and knew I was calling the police and it freaked me out. I was about 2 miles from home and felt very vulnerable and kept looking over my shoulder as I booked it back home.

Now, I have a whistle and a small container of pepper spray. Like PP said, I make sure someone knows what route I'm taking or where I'm going and what time I expect to be back. I also don't wear earbuds or listen to music because I want to be able to hear what is going on around me. I run opposite of traffic so a car is less likely to pull up right next to me.
  • janeosu
    Options
    I usually run in the mornings, but not in the dark. Yes, I always carry my phone :)

Yeah, pepper spray would be a good idea. I think the key here is - I definitely need a running partner, especially for the long weekend runs. Maybe once I start getting back into some local 5Ks I'll get to know some more runners around here. Definitely not going to conceal and carry for my runs, no worries! It's funny to think about though.

Really wish there was a running club here too! That would be great.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I struggle with this too. The only time I can get out and run is SUPER early in the morning and I'm scared so I always end up treadmilling it. I'm curious to see what others suggest.
  • janeosu
    Options
    Liog- that had to be scary. I always text my husband and tell him where I'm running. Love the whistle idea.
    ETA- I've been careful about listening to music too. There are only a couple of running spots I use it.
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    Phones won't help you when someone's holding a knife to you. I'd just suggest taking a self-defense class. Having pepper spray/stun gun/whatever won't be any good if you don't know when and how to use it most effectively. Plus, the cardio from the self-defense class will help your exercise goal.

As for running, I'd rotate parks to keep from getting bored, I am fortunate to live in a place where there are many parks nearby and so if I run on the weekends I can just choose a different location. And I plan to start this week :P
  • janeosu
    Options
    coopersmom- until this year, early morning was my only time too and like you, I usually just stayed home and did the elliptical instead. I decided I would just do P90X and the elliptical and it was nice, but it wasn't the same. It's hard when you want to get out and run and just can't!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I run on a trail and there are always dozens of people on it. Kind of a pain to drive somewhere to run, but safety in numbers and all that.

Other than that, pepper spray, whistle, run by main roads.
  • janeosu
    Options
    kyt- I actually took a self defense class in college, it was great! I want to rotate routes, but we don't have too many parks here at all. I miss that part of living in the city A LOT. I guess it's just a matter of making the most with what I have for now :)
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Phones won't help you when someone's holding a knife to you. I'd just suggest taking a self-defense class. Having pepper spray/stun gun/whatever won't be any good if you don't know when and how to use it most effectively. Plus, the cardio from the self-defense class will help your exercise goal.

Don't downplay the benefits of Pepper Spray to Self-defense. Put 2 sizable guys in her path, and she can Krav Maga all day long, and still lose, but the mere threat of Pepper Spray can send them packing. Pepper Spray is also good against loose dogs (reason why you don't want to bring a dog)!

It's easy to paint a losing scenario for any tool or tactic out there. You just want to increase your overall odds of survival. There is no ONE best answer. Combine your efforts. Situational Awareness, Common Sense, and Gut Feeling, will keep you out of trouble more than any other tool in your arsenal. The more distance you can keep between you and the bad guy, the better your odds of survival will be. There's no shame in changing routes, going up to a nearby house, or turning back (like you did).

Make eye contact with people in cars, on bikes, or walking towards you. Let them know you see them, and are aware of them. If someone yells or makes gestures at you, just keep running. Don't fuel their insanity with a response.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray and/or Krav Maga.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I'm really glad you turned around if you felt uncomfortable.

I live in basically the middle of nowhere in Montana where very very little crime happens, and a town even more middle-of-nowhere-ish had a teacher named Sherry Arnold go missing during her morning run in January. She was kidnapped and killed, simply because the two guys felt like it.

Pepper spray with the hand-strap on it is a good idea. Making sure you've got access to a cell phone with "Emergency 9" activated (a lot have it default disabled) so all you have to do is hold the button is also an excellent idea. Self-defense classes can help, along with simply running with a second person even if you're ignoring each other. Always, always trust your instincts.
  • kstone70
    kstone70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Find a running partner. Get the word out that you are looking for someone to run with. Someone knows someone who wants to run too. I had a similar experience once- running by myself right before dawn on a country road. I saw a van pull up about 1/2 mile ahead of me and stop. No one getting out, and NO reason to be there. My gut said turn around NOW, and I did. I sprinted until I was back in a neighborhood. Very scary. Now, I never go alone on isolated roads, period. I also wear a headlamp, have a phone, and I am going to get pepper spray. I also have a very good friend now that I run with (we became friends through running :) We often go run long before the sun is up. Safety in numbers for sure.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When I have to run really early or late and it's dark I always run with my pepper spray. You can buy one off Amazon for like $10 that has a strap for jogging so it is strapped to your hand and you don't have to think about it!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I live in a rural area with very limited options. No running friends, no running clubs.

I still run but I'm very aware and if something doesn't feel right then I listen to my instincts. I've had a couple of weird things happen--one time I didn't feel threatened--just surprised and I laughed it off. Another time I felt that something was not right and turned around. I was running on a trail that parallels a road for a bit. A guy was driving slowly on the road watching me and then went on around a corner where the road crossed the trail. I thought he had just continued along but as I got closer (wooded area so I couldn't see until very close) I saw that he had stopped just past where I could see him and as I approached the road/trail intersection he started backing up to the trail. I got a bad feeling about that one. Maybe it was harmless but something didn't sit well with me.

Thankfully stuff like this doesn't happen too often. I've had so many problems with dogs though!!!!

I took a self defense class in college too.

I'd like to have someone to run with, particularly on longer runs, but I haven't found anyone yet.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I live in a rural area with very limited options. No running friends, no running clubs.

I, too, live in a rural area and most of my runs are on back country farm roads. When I go on long runs, I usually run with a PT-2 holster like this <http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321496070781&gt; and my Kel-Tec P32. There are many feral dogs along my favorite route, and if you have ever been in the middle of a pack of wild dogs circling you (as I have once), pepper spray and a tazer are the last things you would want in your possession.
  • janeosu
    Options
    Thanks everyone, especially for sharing stories and advice. It was a good reminder to me that I'm not overreacting and I'm not protecting myself as much as I should :) Wish you all lived in my town, I'd invite you to run with me this morning!

leadoff- I don't blame you! I'm pretty rural too and Ive encountered wild dogs on some backroad runs- SCARY! I just avoid that road now which makes me mad because it's a great one to run.