PCOS anybody out there suffering too?

Hi ladies
I am a 40 year old PCOS sufferer and have been gaining weight for the last 10 years although nothing like the 280 I am now.
I have all the horrible PCOS related problems, ie ~ thinning hair, acne, being rather too hairy, difficulty losing weight, extremely heavy bleeding every few months with absent periods between, you name the ailment I have it with this nasty condition.....
I have now hit the big 40 and my husband is 50, we have 2 biological sons and 2 adopted (girl/boy) and would love a chance at having one more before time runs out (I've not yet hit the menopause so I think I may have a slight chance still)

I would love to be friends with any fellow PCOS sufferers regardless of severity of the condition or age or anything, friends I can share any tips with and although I am in the UK I welcome anyone from any country.

Please if you suffer too add me x

Replies

• angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    I have been suffering from PCOS too.. it's so frustrating!! Especially when it comes to weight loss.

Welcome to MFP!! I will add you :smile:
  • Thank you :)
    I am on my 2nd week now and the initial weight loss was water I know that, now comes the hardest part and that is getting rid of the fat.
    I am also recovering from spinal surgery so can't exercise much more than a few minutes a day so double hard. I am determined though :)
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    15 pounds is an amazing loss for this only being your second week! :smile:

I am in my second week as well and have only lost 3 pounds so far.. but i am determined to stay in this for the long run and change my entire lifestyle :smile:
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago and have had a lot of difficulty as well, but it is possible to lose the weight and get healthy! I actually have an appointment this Tuesday to try Metformin to help with the treatment of my PCOS and hopefully allow me to get pregnant for the first time! I'm excited and I will do my best to support you!
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Hi Gals - Here's a couple places to check for PCOS friends and input: under Search, type in PCOS, PCOS Rant, PCOS Cysters. Look under Groups and find PCOS Cysters. There are a LOT of us here. Find some MFPers that seem interesting to you and send a friend request. It really helps to send it with a message to introduce yourself.
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    HI I have PCOS too for few years now when reading ur post I felt like you were discribing myself I totally like you!! And I have friends who have the same problem and have been treated and on Med and my OBGYN Dr seem to not be paying attention to mine needs I am trying to loose weight now because recently I went to my Primary Dr and I was a High risk Diabetic and now for healthy issues I Need to loose weight but I have been back on MFP for almost a Month and all I have lost so far is about 4lbs witch is soooooooooooo freaken frustrated!!! Feel free to add me if you would like!!! But any how I will send you a friend request and you decided to add me or not................... Good luck and hopetly we will be in the right place to loose weight and feel better

6540321.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Thank you so very much. I have been on metformin for around 6 years now (I think my doctor has honestly forgotten I am on it) I can't say if it has helped me at all because I can't remember life without it now but I hope it makes a big and positive difference to you x
  • Oh thank you I would LOVE you to add me :)
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    I have PCOS and it is a pain!! Seems like after I turned 25 I started gaining for no reason. I've tried all kinds of meds and nothing helped. I am on Victoza shot now and it helps for now. :) The only way I lose weight is to eat low carb. That is not always easy.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    I'll send you a friend request
  • mamagwen
    mamagwen Posts: 6 Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS ten years ago. Right now my levels are normal, but I'm still struggling to lose weight and have other symptoms: mood swings, depression, facial hair. I'm on meds for the emotional stuff, and I've had laser treatments for my beard, but these darn follicles just keep growing back.

I know I'm one of the lucky ones, because I don't have any physical pain, and I was able to conceive without any trouble. Still, it sucks to have to deal with this. I think it's a major reason why I keep giving up on myself; losing weight doesn't come easy and I just wind up assuming that I can't do it because of the PCOS. It's an excuse, I know it, but to act on that knowledge, to get stubborn and stick to my regimen, is a real challenge.

Good luck to you, sister, and welcome aboard the weight loss bandwagon. :-)
  • Thank you so much for your response, you are so lucky to be able to conceive so easy.
    The facial hair is one of my pet hates, no matter what I try within a few hours my chin and neck has stubble on it and I am scared to kiss my husband or even my teenage kids because I don't want them to feel the roughness and be shocked or even repulsed by me.
    :(
  • I've was diagnosed in 2008. Its hard - I hate having to work twice as hard for very slow results. i've found that being on a Low Glycemic Index diet helps. I do it with diet and exercise - no meds. So far, so good.
  • Smudjie
    Smudjie Posts: 126 Member
    I am a PCO sufferer too, weight being the worst part of it. I take metformin twice daily. My weight topped up at 323 and I finally went and got lapbanded at slimband...best thing I ever did as I was an over eater too. I've lost 110-120 lbs depending on the day or time of month. I rarely get periods when i do they are painful.

I find it I stay away from bad carbs i do well with weight loss although it does come back quicker than other folks it seems.

I"ll add you :)