High calorie *healthy* breakfasts

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Full eggs instead of just the whites. The yolk has all the fat (and many other nutrients, too). Whole wheat toast with peanut butter. Altogether it's about 600 calories or so for two eggs, two slices of toast, 2 tbs peanut butter, and a glass of milk or orange juice.

Oatmeal. I get the variety packs of the instant and mix two different but similar flavors (sometime 1 original and 1 flavored). Two packets of oatmeal made with 2/3-1 cup of milk will give you 400 calories or so, add in toast or juice to up it a bit more.

Whole wheat waffles with cheese instead of syrup (make them into a "sandwich"). Calories will depend on the kind of waffles (I have a really good, easy homemade recipe, mssg me if you want it). Add a fruit smoothie for something sweet and healthy (again, homemade, but super simple).
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Also, two great things you can add to your breakfast cereals or porridges to give them more calories and even more nutrients/benefits:

Chia seeds: 2 tbsp = about 100 calories
    Wheat germ: 3 tbsp = about 80 calories
  • nicole061488
    nicole061488 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here. Thank you for posting!
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal with banana cinnamon a little brown sugar and walnuts
  • sbendix17
    Options
    protein shakes are a great addition. I do 1 cup of fat free milk, 1 scoop of vanilla pure protein powder, and 1/2-1 cup of frozen or fresh fruit. blend it together and you have a fantastic breakfast around 310 calories. you can aslo cut in half and have it in addition to other breakfast items such as eggs, whole wheat waffles, etc. good luck!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Here are some of mine...

PHOTO 1: 2.5 scrambled eggs (whole egg), 2 slices of deli smoked ham, 1/4 cup chopped white onion, 1 cup of chopped baby spinach, 1/2 medium navel orange, 1/2 large plain bagel with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb spreadable cheese.

NOTE: Just skip the ham.

447 calories, 45g carbs, 16g fat, 903mg sodium, 13g sugar and 30g protein.

DSC_0621_sm.gif

PHOTO 2: 2-egg Mexican omelet with fajita chicken, onions, tomatoes (no cheese). Topped with pico de gallo and a side of orange slices.

NOTE: Just skip the chicken.

266 calories, 10g fat (0g saturated fat), 491mg sodium, 136mg potassium, 14g carbs, 8g sugar, 27g protein, 23% vitamin A, 87% vitamin C, 9% calcium and 12% iron.

IMG_0177_sm.jpg

PHOTO 3: Stats are on the pic.

NOTE: Just skip the ham and the PB/toast.

breakfast2.jpg
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all these suggestions, these are all great! Feel so much more hopeful now!

The museli with yoghurt - this I'm particularly happy with because right now hardly any food in the house, so thought I couldn't start my big breakfast thing til Tues, however I have both yoghurt and museli so I CAN start tomorrow :)

Have seen the group eat more to weigh less - in my tizz I forgot to check it out!

I'll look into all of this and check out the diary tomorrow, my phone is having issues! I am so grateful though and will look through each suggestion carefully, thank you again :)

Oh, and egg yolks - I always believed they were bad (a lot of my information has come from bad sources, so I have to re-educate myself) - thanks for pointing those facts out :)
  • polz7
    polz7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Muesli (mix of oats, cereals, dried fruit, nuts) - just tried this stuff this weekend and I'm in love. 1/2 cup has 220 cal, that's before adding milk. Add banana to it to increase the calories. You can also have whatever normal breakfast you like and add a protein milkshake (I like strawberry whey powder, milk, banana = 325cal)

Edited to add: crepes! I was shocked to learn how many calories are in 1 thin little crepe, I used to put away at least 6 or so with jam in the morning before I looked them up. If you're looking to increase calories and have an amazing delicious breakfast, I vote for crepes with nutella and banana.... I think I'm drooling.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oh, and egg yolks - I always believed they were bad (a lot of my information has come from bad sources, so I have to re-educate myself) - thanks for pointing those facts out :)

There is soooo much confusion out there about eggs, because there has historically been so much back and forth. The current conventional adive is that egg yolks are fantastic, unless you have particular health issues causing malabsorption of certain nutrients, or extreme problems with cholesterol -- both of which are rare.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg instead of the whites. With two eggs you've added roughly 120 calories. PLUS TONS of vitamins, minerals and proteins. If you spring for the free range, or even better eggs from a real farm, you will get a ton of Omega-3s -- shiny hair, healthy heart bonus!
    Otherwise, I would "sneak" that extra 150 calories. Use olive oil or buy some high quality Kerrygold butter may not be as healthy as olive oil, but YUM!) 1/2 a tablespoon has 50 calories.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is organic 100% whole grain cereal with skim milk (nomnomnom)

Or a smoothie made out of a banana, yogurt, and whatever berries you've got, and milk (also nomnomnom)

There are also these great organic smoothies you can usually find in the refrigerated organic section of the grocery store, popular brands include Odwalla, Naked, and Bolthouse Farms. They're great for a quick, healthy, high(ish) calorie snack that leaves you feeling great. I eat them any time of day, but they can easily be for breakfast. :P
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    as others have been saying, go ahead and eat the yolk. over half the calories come from the yolk, and that's a GOOD thing, especially if trying to up your calories. and they're tasty too.

i am big on oatmeal with peanut butter and fruit in it, makes for about 300 calories
  • kannemollen
    kannemollen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love the kashi cereals if I am in a hurry. They keep you feeling good and satisfied and are higher in calories than most of the other cereals.

agreed! the island vanilla is REALLY good and loaded with whole grains and fiber! :D
  • megancolette
    Options
    Almost every single day I have one of these two breakfasts:

One egg and one egg white scrambled (around 100 cal), 1 slice whole wheat toast (100) spread with 1 tbsp peanut butter (100), and half a grapefruit with Splenda or Stevia sweetener (somewhere around 40 cal) = 340 calories but you could bulk it up even more with more egg, another slice of toast, second tbsp of PB, more fruit, etc.

Oatmeal (I eat an instant organic oatmeal - one packet is 210 calories) with 1 tbsp of peanut butter mixed in (100 cal), and sliced banana also mixed in (105 ish) = 405 calories
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas put through a blender (2-3), add some Orange juice with flax seed. It would be almost 400-500 cals. It tastes like a creamcicle.

this sounds kinda good ... how much orange juice and flax seed do you use??
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have two breakfasts! It usually adds up to about 1000 calories.

A smoothie as soon as I get up which I drink as I get ready and make "2nd breakfast". Where I use chicken just use eggs, chickpeas or your protein of choice.
    I have just run out of protein powder but normally I add that to my banana and rice milk smoothies. Smoothies are really easy to add or decrease calories to. If I will struggle to find time to eat much during the day I add 3 frozen bananas instead of one or two. I am lactose intolerant so I use rice or almond milk neither of which I like in coffee but as a smoothie it taste great.

I use to struggle to get in 1200 calories when I first switched to a healthier menu now 1900 is a breeze. Eating more than that I am still working on. The great thing is as you up your calories your body and appetite adapts. After two days at each calorie jump its stopped feeling like an effort to eat the greater quantity of food.

Eating alot of my calories at the begining of the day has helped me because once the day starts I am so busy.
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have a few favorite breakfasts: one is whole grain bread with natural peanut butter and some flavored cream cheese, either the laughing cow strawberry or the philadelphia dark chocolate one. I use the Health Full bread by Orowheat, it's full of fiber and protein, and it's delicious, plus you get protein from the peanut butter, too.

Another favorite is flavored steel cut oats: I either add some pureed pumpkin and pumpkin spice with a sprinkle of brown sugar, or cocoa powder and a pinch of cinnamon for chocolate. Also, making oatmeal with milk instead of water (I use fat free) adds more protein and vitamins to your breakfast.

Finally, I love love love greek yogurt. Add some cereal or berries or granola, the granola will bump up your calories and it's pretty healthy!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy to add calories without too much bulk if you add in some calorie dense foods. Here's some examples:
    - use whole eggs in your omelette, not just whites.
    - cook your omelette in olive oil or butter
    - add peanut butter or ground almond or hazelnut meal to porridge (oatmeal).
    - add some full fat greek yoghurt to fruit and sprinkle some muesli (granola) or nuts on top
    - make a brekky rollup by scrambling some eggs with olive oil, garlic, baby spinach and cheese and wrap it in a tortilla or roti.
    - eat leftovers for breakfast. Soup, pasta, sandwiches etc can make a great brekky, there is no rule to say you can only eat them for lunch or dinner!
    - make "dessert for breakfast" - apple crumble, crepes with fruit and yoghurt, bread and butter pudding, rice pudding with berries all come to mind. It feels very decadent but as long as you aren't adding heaps of sugar, they can be very healthy!

You are doing so well to get back to healthy eating, keep up the good work!

I just thought of some more:
    - grainy toast or english muffin with tomato and avocado and cheese melted under the griller - almost like pizza!
    - bircher muesli - basically oatmeal soaked in fruit juice overnight and you add yoghurt and fruit and nuts in the morning. Google it, you'll find heaps of recipes.
    - rye bread with cream cheese, banana, dates and walnuts. Yum!
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    Not really got any ideas on high calorie healthy breakfasts but well done on coming as far as you have. Keep it up :~)