acorn squash... any idea how to cook this thing?

Options
So i have an acorn squash but no idea how to cook it.. I know you have to cut it and take out the middle. Then cook it... but what do i put on it?

Replies

• hali1
    hali1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've baked them before - not since I started counting calories, but this might give you a starting point. I'm pretty sure I just oiled the cut sides (but Pam spray would probably work too), put it in a pan with the cut sides up, about half-filled the centers with brown sugar and cinnamon, then baked it. Yummm, yum. I probably wouldn't cook it exactly like that now, cause I always want to use a *lot* of sugar! :laugh:

If I remember, I think the baking was 350 F for around an hour. Been too long, sorry I can't remember the time!

It would probably also be really yummy just sprinkled with cinnamon or whatever spices you like, and maybe just enough sugar to carmelize, though I guess that wouldn't be necessary. Toasted pecans would be good if you're into that kind of thing.

Enjoy!
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i eat acorn squash all the time! i make it as a quick snack, its fairly low-cal, and i find it really filling. I ate a whole squash this weekend by myself actually! (not all at once haha)
    to make it somewhat quickly, i cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and poke some holes in the flesh with a fork, then microwave it, cut side facing up, for about 20 minutes.
    Since i've been on MFP, i usually just cook it plain, or with some spices (nutmeg and cinnamin make it into almost like a dessert for me!) or sometimes i put about a tsp of margarine into each half when i mircowave it, then the margarine seeps into the fork holes as it cooks...so delish!
    Depending how much of the squash i eat at a time, its usually anywhere from 70 cals (for 1/4 of a smaller squash) to 200 cals (half a squash with a bit of margarine)
    Happy eating!
  • Dabjagger
    Options
    Cooking Acorn Squash
    Just cut it in half, scrape out the seeds and threads (Be careful cutting it, they are hard and can be awkward)
    Put the pieces in a glass pan and bake at 350' for about 25-30 minutes until soft (check it with a fork)
    Let cool a bit before scraping out the squash with a large spoon (so you don't burn your fingers)

Then you can add as few or as many calories/carbs as you like (Squash is really healthy food until you add too much stuff to it)
    Mash or blend the squash like potatoes (I put mine in my Ninja blender)
    You can add a little salt, butter, almond milk, stevia, and cinnamon and enjoy a healthy low carb side dish!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You can also try grilling it! Same as above instructions, but just pop it on the grill. I find I use little to no oils and seasonings when I place veges on the grill. Just love the different taste and texture. Enjoy!