First trip to the nutritionist, advice?

Options
I'm a little nervous, but I want to make sure I'm getting everything I can out of my appointment.

What should I make sure to ask?
Should I fast in case they want to do blood work?
Do I have to wear anything for weird measurements?
I was sent paperwork to fill out and I'm taking three days of print outs from MFP. Is there anything else I should do to prepare?

Replies

• Shannonbayer
    Shannonbayer Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Selfish bump, just looking for any suggestions before my appointment.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    What are you seeing the nutritionist for?
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i would think that to get the most out of it, you just need to be really honest with them, and honest with yourself!

I went to a couple nutritionists/dieticians a few years ago. Mostly they were super helpful, but if anything they suggest doesnt make sense to you, make sure you ask questions about it, and dont be afraid to look information up for yourself. One nutritionist that I went to, at my first visit, immediately said that I need to cut out all dairy products 'because they are bad for you'. Needless to say, she kind of seemed like a quack so i never went back. (i'm open to a lot of ideas...and since starting on MFP i have reduced my dairy consumption a lot...but it just seems like arbitrarily cutting out an entire food group 'because its bad for you' is stupid! lol..and she wasnt able to justify why i shouldnt eat dairy)
    i dont know if that helps much, but best of luck with it! and please let us know how it goes!
  • Shannonbayer
    Options
    Thank you, Ischuttem. I would be wary of that as well.

Pdworkman, I'm going because I'm morbidly obese and I was asking my pcp detailed questions when I decided to make a change. So, I was referred to a nutritionist to help me develop a game plan to change my life. :happy:
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Way to go for making this appointment! I saw a nutritionist for the first time about a year ago and it was awesome. She was more skilled for people with diabetes but she taught me appropriate serving sizes, foods to avoid, and gave me tons of information about food and how to make a lifestyle change. Ask a lot of questions, definitely. And if something sounds weird to you, ask for clarification, and if it still sounds weird to you, research it. In my weight loss journey I've lost about 130lbs so far and I credit that nutritionist with so much. I would also like to encourage you to always educate yourself during this journey by reading articles that you may see that could benefit you. You may find things that work for you and you may find things that don't work for you. But congratulations again for making a wonderful change in your life!
  • Shannonbayer
    Options
    Well I survived. I really do need to get a tape measure, I'm a lot smaller than I thought I was...

Basically she said everything I'm doing is great, but I should consider a protein shake breakfast or lunch since I'm not always getting quite what she'd like. And since my "diet" is a tad extreme that I should look at doing it for a total of a month then switch to more solid foods ( 80% of what I "eat" is juiced veggies). Because she's worried that I'd end up yoyoing. I got the 1200 calories vs BMR problem explained in a way that I can understand. AND she used the word healthy a lot (when talking about the current me)!