help...carb addict!

Options
I'm coming into terms with myself always falling off the horse....but I have come to realize...I'm a carb addict! Since I have come to terms with that....I just don't know what to do. I DON'T WANT to any pills to help me lose weight...did that in my early 20...hell I have taken diet pills with another journey to lose weight.and I just can't do it. Can some help direct me on what type of meal plan...or any information, so I don't feel like a lost soul in a field of carbs!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Go cold turkey.

Something that helped me really cut my carbs was really really paying attention to how food makes me feel physically. The full feeling I get from over indulging in carbs is usually more of a bloated, uncomfortable full. After eating healthier and less carbier, I realized that the full I get from, say, a chicken salad is more of a less bloated feeling. And I really thought about what those two feelings me and what it means for my body. That feeling I get from, say, a giant scone from Starbucks just doesn't feel as good to me anymore because I know it's not doing anything good for me.
  • angel_mommy
    Options
    I'm the same way. Ever since I've started using this site to track my foods, I've realized my problem isn't calories, it's carbs! And like the person above, it's the i-ate-too-much and my belly is so bloated I can't move feeling. Then we're hungry again so fast because it's pretty much empty calories (from what I've read).
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    :( I have trouble finding foods low in carbs
    Anyone know where I can find a good list of recommendations and substitutes?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Check out the Atkins website for a great list of lower carb foods and their approximate carb counts. Look at all of the different phases since you aren't necessarily using the list to determine what you can only eat but rather just using it to get ideas.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx
  • jam1010
    jam1010 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest problem is i'm addicted to carbs too. most of my diet contains white rice and it's really hard to remove cause I feel hungry all the time if i dont eat it. what i do i limit myself in a cup of rice per meal. and as much as possible i stay away in chocolates and sugary treats.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm coming into terms with myself always falling off the horse....but I have come to realize...I'm a carb addict! Since I have come to terms with that....I just don't know what to do. I DON'T WANT to any pills to help me lose weight...did that in my early 20...hell I have taken diet pills with another journey to lose weight.and I just can't do it. Can some help direct me on what type of meal plan...or any information, so I don't feel like a lost soul in a field of carbs!
    Worry about the calories, not the carbs. Once you get a handle on eating to a specific calorie goal, then you can adjust and tweak macros if needed. As long as you get a healthy amount of fat and protein in your diet, there's no reason not to fill the rest of your allotted calories with carbs, unless you have a specific medical condition.

Trying to completely eliminate any one type of food is usually a recipe for failure.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am going to play devil's advocate here. I am actually much hungrier if I don't get enough carbs. I get cranky, hungry and annoyed. I have a rule for myself, I try to limit starchy carbs to twice a day. Mostly whole grains, sometimes beans, and I definitely eat white ones sometimes too. I tend to have a scone or waffle on the weekend.

I pay no attention to carbs that come from fruits and veggies.

This works for me, and I feel satiated, and still get to eat my rice. Over the past week or so, I haven't had as many starchy carbs as usually, but I am still getting plenty of fruits and veggies to get my fill. I pay a lot more attention to my fiber intake.

Experiment, but all of us have different body chemistry.
  • Mel15sa35
    Mel15sa35 Posts: 35
    Options
    www.miraclenoodle.com
    I use these noodles and rice-really good. It can take a little getting used to because the texture is slightly different, but not mushy or anything. I toss these in soups, cover them with sauces, or add garlic and Brummel and Brown (that yogurt butter) for a quick side. There are other brands as well, a Tofu version I've found has like 3 carbs per serving. The shirataki 'miracle noodle' has-0 carbs, 0 calories, 0 sugar, 0 fat-just plant fiber. I get them from a couple different health food stores-haven't found them at the regular grocery yet.
    Anyone ever finds a carb free bread let me know!!!!
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest problem is i'm addicted to carbs too. most of my diet contains white rice and it's really hard to remove cause I feel hungry all the time if i dont eat it. what i do i limit myself in a cup of rice per meal. and as much as possible i stay away in chocolates and sugary treats.

Eat more fibre. Drink more water.