Marathon nearly here, need a new goal

Options
So I am pretty clueless when it comes to fitness.... The only way I was able to lose weight was to set a (what at the time seemed ridiculous) ambitious goal of a marathon, eat less takeaways and fatty foods, cut out the snacking and drink less alcohol. I knew this way it would be impossible for me to not lose weight and I've for a whole year trained for this marathon on and off. My motivation hasn't always been 100% but I have generally done ok.

The marathon is taking place next Sunday 25th March in Barcelona, Spain. When I set the goal I assumed I would be where I wanted to be in terms of weight and body shape but due to my fluctuating levels of commitment that is not the case. I figure I need another goal to aim for once the marathon is done or I worry I might "fall off the wagon".

I am 5"9 and 195-ish lbs and so I still have a little bit of a beer belly, some fat around my chest and neck too. My legs are now nice and toned because of all the running. The ultimate goal (which I am not sure is achievable) is the 6 pack, the big arms and shoulders (I naturally have quite small arms) but I don't know how to get there...

I don't know whether to run more, perhaps try other forms of cardio before I try to add muscle or whether I can tone and add muscle already to get there. I had 1 thought of a triathlon or maybe another marathon but that seems very daunting after all the training I have done for this marathon.

Any help/thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated. I need to find something that is going to work for me. I have come about half way in terms of where I want to be with my body. The dream of the marathon is nearly here but it's not going to get me the whole way like I had anticipated when I started. It will instead be the end of one chapter and the beginning of the 2nd half of my journey to my dream body.

Replies

• Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the essay as well!
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I already gave you my answer when you gave the more private post but I just wanted to tell you you rock! keep up the great work, and don't worry, you will get where you want to be, I mean, seriously, you're running a marathon next week!! That's freakin awesome!
  • Orrgarde86
    Options
    Thank you so much. I will be pleased if I manage to complete the marathon but then the next goal is to be happy with my body.
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    To be honest (judged from reading other guys posts about this sort of stuff) I think maybe you should start weight training after your marathon, still run and all but maybe build up your upper body strength then do something to show your commitment to it (like your commitment to running is resulting in you doing a marathon). Not really making much sense but in my head I know what I mean xD
  • Orrgarde86
    Options
    To be honest (judged from reading other guys posts about this sort of stuff) I think maybe you should start weight training after your marathon, still run and all but maybe build up your upper body strength then do something to show your commitment to it (like your commitment to running is resulting in you doing a marathon). Not really making much sense but in my head I know what I mean xD

Yeah sounds good! I need to do something which will force me to commit but yeah I think weight training is the way forward!
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    Found something that's both running and strength (mental and physical) on some other post on the forums, the Tough Mudder, it's a 10-12mile run with a load of obstacles, maybe see about working towards that to keep you focused?
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    So - how'd the marathon go?:bigsmile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Olympic distance triathlon. 1.5 swim/40 bike/10 run, that would be km for each. If you need another big goal one, a Half-Ironman distance. They may call them something else since that name is trademarked. But 1.2, 56, 13.1, which is miles in that case.

Good cross training. Balance out muscles. Good endurance training which is great fat burner too.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I too was also going to suggest a triathlon.

And if you finish that, then an ironman (so 10km swim, 250km bike ride (i think), then 42km run).

there are ultra marathons as well, but i'm not sure of distance.
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Biking? Here in South Africa they have a few big 100 + km bike races ... the Amashova and the Cape Argus tour. There are also big paddling races ... like the Duzi canoe race. And my hubby is running an ultra marathon in June ... the 89 km Comrades Marathon. Tri-Athalons. They have a swimming race here once a year called the MidMar Mile as well. If you are "event" driven ... there are all kinds of options out there! =) I'm sure there are similar events wherever you are.