im scared for my future in my own skin. HELP!!!

Options
I don't know why but i have never been a binge eater or into chocolate and stuff. always looked at fatty foods and wasn't fased. But i have just recently moved into college and we eat dinner at 5:15pm and i am eating the worst i ever have eaten. Buying chocolate pop corn you name it. Im constantly craving chocolate and sweets. I dont even look at it and feel guilty i just indulge and before i knwo it ive just consumed a 300 calorie chocolate bar. I am going to kick these habbits early. Anyone experienced this and have any tips????
I dont want to let this become a way of life for me.

Replies

• bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You sound hungry. Were you used to having dessert at home? Icecream and fruit or similar? What has changed about your dinners besides the time? I think you're missing something from your diet, maybe fruit, and are substituting. Just a guess. :)
  • loosewilliams
    Options
    Yes im not eating fruit! because its crappy food! and we eat at random early times... what are some good idea to eat at 9 o clock or something when im hungry in my room? because we eat dinner so early
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am a chocolate craver. What helps me is to indulge a little with something that is not that bad. For instance, dark chocolate peanut butter from peanut butter and co on my toast feels decadent, but has similar nutrition stats to normal peanut butter. Also, I have to resist the urge to buy the cheaper giant container and buy only the one serving when I want it. Also, I can't completely exclude foods I love, so I don't even pretend I will. If I want chocolate, I have some. If I want a McDonald's burger, I have one. I know if I didn't, I would be miserable and probably end up binging later!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    Yes im not eating fruit! because its crappy food! and we eat at random early times... what are some good idea to eat at 9 o clock or something when im hungry in my room? because we eat dinner so early

dark chocolate bars are not that bad
    i am loving the 100 calorie packs of breakstones cottage cheese with pineapple
    string cheese
    100 calorie packs of almonds
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Are there any evening activities in your college? It sounds to me like you need to get out of your room and do something; squash, badminton, gym...... will help you move past the impulse eating
  • lizj1
    lizj1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can you keep a bowl of fruit in your room to snack on in the evenings? What about cereal bars?
  • janessac
    janessac Posts: 77
    Options
    I gained 20lbs my first year in university from the crap food, so second year I would try and stop the late-night cravings by buying dried apricots/blueberries/cranberries, almonds, yogurt-covered raisins (for a sweet craving), dried apple rings or apple chips, oranges, apples, etc. Anything that's non-perishable or can last outside of the fridge is perfect for the dorm room or when you're studying. I found that really helped me when all I wanted to run down to the campus bar and grab a pizza. :)
  • Moonshine1234
    Moonshine1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Just joined myfitnesspal today, read your post...try to get some raw nuts e.g almonds, peanuts, rasins to eat as snacks...fruits is good apples etc....good luck...think healthily.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    good on you for getting onto it early. i think the bad, early meals at college are how i developed my frequent, large quantity chocolate habit (i was -starving-). i ended up buying a small fridge for my room in my second year, but almost 8 years later i kept the chocolate habit.
  • Merrilies
    Merrilies Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes im not eating fruit! because its crappy food!

If you think fruit is crappy food then there's no hope for you!

You know it's not good to eat loads of chocolate etc, so don't do it!

It comes down to willpower at the end of the day. You have two choices - eat the stuff and get fat or don't eat it - it's not rocket science.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the facts.

If you eat at around 5pm, go for a walk or something later, and if you start to get hungry, have a handful of grapes or just 3 squares of dark chocolate if you must have chocolate.

If you do eat more, then try to find some exercise to work it off - does the college have a gym?

Get a hold of your eating habits now, before you start that downward spiral - it'll only be harder to lose the weight if you don't.

Good luck!

Kat
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but i have never been a binge eater or into chocolate and stuff. always looked at fatty foods and wasn't fased. But i have just recently moved into college and we eat dinner at 5:15pm and i am eating the worst i ever have eaten. Buying chocolate pop corn you name it. Im constantly craving chocolate and sweets. I dont even look at it and feel guilty i just indulge and before i knwo it ive just consumed a 300 calorie chocolate bar. I am going to kick these habbits early. Anyone experienced this and have any tips????

I looked at your profile page, you are 18 years old and worried about losing 5 Kg (11 lbs), apparently you are not medically overweight, just over weight in your mind. I would bet your body is still growing and developing internally and/or externally. So, I would not be too concerned about the food cravings, Relax and stay calm, Do some extra exercise and you can continue having your chocolate bars.
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Yeah, I gained 40 pounds in college. But it wasn't chocolate. Just too much food and lack of activity. Definitely keep healthy snacks in your room. Trader Joes has some freeze dried fruit that are totally low cal. Luna Bars are 180 cal snack bars with vitamins. They taste pretty good. Voges are mini chocolate bars about 80-90 calories. Get good chocolate just small portions. Or Godiva chocolate squares and limit yourself to 1 square. Seems like I read somewhere that you may be low in magnesium and/or iron if you're craving chocolate. It also stimulates the same pleasure centers as narcotics. Definitely get involved in some exercise/activities. Personally, if I'm craving something, I'll eat a small something of that craving as long as it's within my calories otherwise I'll eat everything else plus that. Just ask yourself, is it worth the calories?
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    quaker crisps!!!!! little mini like rice cakes that have chocolate or caramel and other yummy stuff drizzled over them... 100 cal snack packs!... i need to find some more lol!