Calling all cake decorators!

mrtentaclenun
mrtentaclenun Posts: 174 Member
My boyfriends birthday is saturday and I am taking it upon myself to TRY and make a cake that looks like an accordion. Note: I DO NOT CARE FOR HEALTHY RECIPES and nor does he, so bring on the good stuff. I have bought fondant for parts as well as royal icing. What I need from you are two things:

What is a cake recipe that is good to use? I would assume a pound cake of some sort would be best/easiest to carve and shape. I guess plain vanilla would work best with royal icing but all other flavor recommendations/recipes are welcome.

When is too early to bake it? I would like at least a day or two to carve/decorate and it would have to be done by thursday, so starting tuesday, would that be too soon?

Thank you and any advice is welcome PLEASE!

Replies

• leezer85
    leezer85 Posts: 3
    Starting on tuesday is perfect.... bake your sponge and leave to cool. Then you want to do a layer of buttercream all over to crumb coat it. Leave this to dry overnight covered lightly in cling film. Then on Wednesday do another layer of buttercream and your fondant layer. Any figures or sugar decorations should be made as early as possible then left to fully dry out before adding to the cake!
  • -edit-
  • Gemma1317
    Gemma1317 Posts: 18 Member
    I usually use sponge cake (with buttercream in the middle) as it's light enough to take icing without becoming a really heavy cake. Never tried such an ambitious shape though! If you put apricot jam on before covering completely with the icing it will stay moist for a few days & you can do the fiddly bits. You need to cover it the same day as you make it though & make sure its sealed with the icing so no air can get in & dry it out. Helps if you put it on a cake board. Make sure you post pictures! Happy decorating :-)
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    I put jam on the cake instead of buttercream then the fondant sometimes. If you put it on when the cake is warm it seeps in a little bit then I add a bit more when cold then the royal icing. :) Good luck! Love Love Love cake decorating.

A pound cake is perfect to use for this sort of thing or a Madeira cake, they are heavy and trustworthy. You could make two and layer them with buttericing and jam in the middle.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Are you gonna eat it on Thursday? If so, bake it on Monday or Tuesday. I can give you a good recipe that I use for all my cakes, makes a sturdy and easy to carve and also great tasting cake. It's a cupcake recipe that I triple to make a 10inch round cake, so you can double or triple or whatever depending on the size of your tin

175g self raising flour
    150g butter
    150g caster sugar
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extrace (not essence)

That's it - whiz it all up for about 2 minutes, no need to sieve flour or anything

Grease and lightly flour your springform tin and pour it all in. It's really a foolproof cake lol

Bake at about 150 for around an hour and 20 minutes if you have tripled the recipe, or else just until a skewer comes out clean

x
  • I noticed that you said you would be carving the cake. For easy carving without cake falling apart and crumbling freeze it. When you are ready to carve remove from the freezer and use a serated knife. Baking ahead of time is A ok!!