Exercising with Tonsillitis?

Options
secoke
secoke Posts: 69 Member
So last night I went to bed thinking my throat was a little scratchy, this morning I wake up to a full blown case of tonsillitis, my tonsils are like golf balls, I've got a bit of a headache but not the migraines I get every now and then. I usually don't go run when I have a cold because it's harder for me to breath but should this be an issue? The only really problem is that is hurts like crazy when I drink water. I don't want to over stress my body while it's trying to heal but I also don't want to use this an an excuse to not get a good cardio workout, any input?

Replies

• FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Your body is already working hard fighting the tonsilitis; exercising on top of it could make it worse. It's not an excuse, it's a good reason to rest and get better.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Tonsillitis is hideous and I really feel for you. Go back to bed and rest until you are better :flowerforyou:
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: DON'T DO IT! Take a day off. :):flowerforyou:
  • slowlysteadily
    slowlysteadily Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I caught tonsillitis once, decided to gut it out and didn't rest as I should. It persisted for 6 weeks, lasting through 6 different types of antibiotics. Eventually my increasingly desperate doctor got rid of it by giving me an IV every day for 5 days straight. I was weak as a kitten for most of that time.

Give tonsillitis the respect it deserves. It's a serious and debilitating illness. Rest and focus on eating properly - with a throat that sore, you will have your work cut out with that alone.

SS
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You exercise now and all your going to do is wear your body/immune system down even further making a full recovery a longer process
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No you need to take time off, ( I am a Medic) but never mind fighting off the infection means your metabolism will be faster
  • Charlene_91
    Charlene_91 Posts: 323
    Options
    When i had tonsillitis i didn't exercise only because i had no energy from not being able to eat. Rest!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor and get antibiotics - tonsilitis can drag on a long time without it. Please rest until then, you'll be back on form a lot quicker than trying to push on through!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If you've got tonsillitis then there won't even be a question - you won't be able to move barely. When I get it, the only movement is between bed and the couch and even that takes serious effort.

Time off is def the answer though.

If you
    do exercise - you won't get the benefit you normally would, and will end up prolonging the illness meaning you will lose out for longer.

If you do rest you should hopefully fight it off within a couple of weeks or so and be able to get back on it properly.
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    Your immune system is going to be weakened trying fight off the bacterial infection. Don't make things any harder for your body than they already are. Drink lots of fluids, take some vitamin C tablets, and GO TO BED.

ps - get well soon ;)
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Liquids, liquids liquids. Rest and more liquids. Frozen yogurt, fruit pops and rest. Let your body heal, don't wear it down.

I hope you feel better real soon~!!!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor and get antibiotics - tonsillitis can drag on a long time without it. Please rest until then, you'll be back on form a lot quicker than trying to push on through!

antibiotics are no use for viruses. A lot of tonsillitis is viral. Overuse of antibiotics is bad. As a rough rule of thumb, one sided infections tend to be bacterial, two-sided viral, but your GP will be in a better position to judge.

But do rest - exercising when ill will probably make you more sick for longer.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you asked this question. I ended up getting antibiotics for a sinus infection on Saturday. I still feel like someone has hit me with a truck. It was great to get answers to a question I had yet to ask.

I think both of us should take a day or two off and rest. I hope you feel better!

And whatever you do--don't use a Netipot. I've seen two articles in the last week that say that they can introduce 'brain-eating amobeas' into your brain!
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I exercised through tonsillitis for two weeks. It lasted two months and ended in a 4 day hospitilisation, another two months before I had the energy to go back to my routine. REST!
  • secoke
    secoke Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. As the day goes on I feel more like crap but I'm such a baby about being sick I didn't know if I was overreacting. I can't wait to go get back on the couch!
  • kirsty736
    kirsty736 Posts: 65
    Options
    I have tonsilitus at the minute and Im struggling to do a full on work out, But im finding that being up and about (walking to class etc) is helping me feel better. Not sure if its pychological though as I hate feeling sorry for myself at home!
  • ncd227755
    Options
    I have tonsillitis right now! And it is horrible!!! I've had it for 5weeks now and every time I finish my medicine they give me my throat swells back up and it is the worse pain ever I can't even swallow my own spit and I'm going this Thursday to get my tonsils removed. I have energy tho so I wanted to play basketball tonight and my throat is not swollen as of right now because I'm on Medicine but I don't know if physical activity will make it worse or not and people who have never had it definitely under estimate how bad the pain can be
  • jaimecmatthews
    jaimecmatthews Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this old post. My doctor diagnosed me with tonsillitis yesterday. Was going to get up and workout this morning but I would much rather recover from this than lose a little extra weight! Antibiotics kicking in this morning though... Feels so much better!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    a few whiskeys will soothe that.
  • ngood77
    Options
    You might find that having tonsillitis helps with the weight loss, I've lost 6lbs since Saturday !