extra calories during weekend

Options
Hi from a newbie!
I'm would like to lose about 7 kg.
I started to run again (after a few months of inactivity) four times a week, for about 40 km per week (for now, but I'm going to increase the mileage).
My doubt is: every day I'm able to manage my calories goal but, during the weekend I go out for lunch and dinner and I usually eat about 1000-1500 extra calories a day, that means about 3000 extra calories during the weekend.
Is this enough to cancel all progress gained during the others five days?
Probably yes, by the moment that even running a lot, I'm loosing only few grams...
Any advice?
:embarassed:

Replies

• kmg3475
    kmg3475 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately yes......can you do a long run on the weekend and only eat out once? I am all about saving my calories for later in the day (which I know is not ideal but it's better than not saving them and then still eating just as much later!) A long run would put you a lot closer to 1000 calories of extra fun.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Look over the past week, see how many cals you have saved, either by coming in under your allowance, or by exercising, that will give you an idea for the weekends, work out your daily average of calorie consumption, if you know what I mean. Might be a good idea, if you do, to do your weigh in before the weekend.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP

You mention that at the moment you are only losing a few grams so I think that probably answers your question. If you are serious about losing the 7kg you will need to consider making a lifestyle change at weekends or you could choose lower calorie options if you do go out. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Good luck!
  • jeniffereb
    Options
    Hi from a newbie!
    I started to run again (after a few months of inactivity) four times a week, for about 40 km per week (for now, but I'm going to increase the mileage).
    My doubt is: every day I'm able to manage my calories goal but, during the weekend I go out for lunch and dinner and I usually eat about 1000-1500 extra calories a day, that means about 3000 extra calories during the weekend.
    Probably yes, by the moment that even running a lot, I'm loosing only few grams...
    Any advice?

Are you able to train on the weekends instead??? stick to one cheat day if you can ....... i know what you mean its hard to say no to food specially if youre a social person but if you exercise saturdays and sundays morning it might not be that bad..... good luck :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi from a newbie!
    Any advice?
    You're eating 10500 calories for the week. That is including your 3000 calorie weekend. Even though you have a bump, you're still underrating.

I love how math puts everything in perspective.
  • kareneforster
    kareneforster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the exact answer to your question but don't forget if you are running you will be developing muscle - as well as losing fat. Muscle weights more than fat so you may still be losing fat - even if you are not losing weight. Have you thought about also taking your body measurements to see if you are getting smaller?
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    yes it can, 3500 cals is needed to lose 1lb, so if you are eating 3000 extra, then thats enough to cancel out your work in the week. Try and tone it down a bit, maybe 1 day of treat meals, or 1 meal sat / 1 sun rather than all meals all weekend!

I am the same with bad weekends, what i have done is set my allowance slightly lower - i should be on 1900, so changed to 1800 so its ok for me to go over by 700 on a saturday. If i go over by more than this, i usually take the dogs for a long walk on sunday to 'earn' the extra cals.
    this hasnt affected my loss in anyway, ive lost 36lbs since october and weigh in on a tuesday :-)

if you reduced by 200 during the week (without going below 1200 net), that will give you an extra 1400 to play with over the weekend without going over your weekly goals.