Hand grip strength?

Options
Hello, to any lifters out there-

What can I do to improve my grip strength? When using weights for things such as lunges, rows, etc. I feel my grip strength giving out even though the weight is not heavy for the targeted muscles. Usually for a day afterward I have pain in the palm of my hand and have trouble touching the tips of my fingers to my palm. This doesn't ALWAYS happen, only sometimes. But it is extremely frusterating. I don't want to use straps or modify my work-out.

Is there anything I can do to improve grip strength? Can this cause permanent nerve type damage in my hands?

Also, a side note... My boyfriend has a powerball he doesn't use. Do these help? Or are these more for the forearm?

Thanks!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a powerball is, but if it's anything like a stress ball, YES! My grip strength is a major let-down for me, too, and a really solid stress ball has been fantastic for me.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    grab a bar above your head and hang on...............as long as you can, then repeat.............used to be an event in the World's Strongest Man competition.

that or BB shrugs and deadlifts, grip strength will come.......takes time like anything else.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    deadlifts
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    grab a bar above your head and hang on...............as long as you can, then repeat.............used to be an event in the World's Strongest Man competition.

that or BB shrugs and deadlifts, grip strength will come.......takes time like anything else.

It happens when I deadlift too! The weight isn't too heavy but I feel the tips of my fingers get numb... Hmm... I think I'll definetly try the grabbing and hanging thing. I really hope it's just a matter of getting stronger. It hasn't gotten in the way yet, just really frusterating the next day when I can barely grasp a pen. >_<
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    http://www.versagripps.com/

Never again will you lose grip strength before you complete your set, I promise.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    http://www.versagripps.com/

Never again will you lose grip strength before you complete your set, I promise.

See, I've considered straps. I'm just afraid that they'll never get strong enough on their own. Are these considered babying yourself? :(
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Also, see this link from the Bodybuilding group here on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/415355-improving-grip-strength
  • soulofmyshoe
    soulofmyshoe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use straps for deadlifts and lat pulls/pullups and I do not consider them babying yourself. Your grip strength will never be able to keep up with your back, so you are just cheating the major muscles and wearing out the lesser ones, in my opinion. If you want to build forearm/grip strength, get some of those grip tools (I use the "Grip Master") or do forearm curls, but I think you will get a better workout with the straps than without. I hate when I forget mine and have to do deadlifts without them.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Also, see this link from the Bodybuilding group here on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/415355-improving-grip-strength

Thank you!! I will definetly try these! :D
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I use straps for deadlifts and lat pulls/pullups and I do not consider them babying yourself. Your grip strength will never be able to keep up with your back, so you are just cheating the major muscles and wearing out the lesser ones, in my opinion. If you want to build forearm/grip strength, get some of those grip tools (I use the "Grip Master") or do forearm curls, but I think you will get a better workout with the straps than without. I hate when I forget mine and have to do deadlifts without them.

If it still continues to be a problem I will definetly invest in some. Glad to know I'm not the only one ;) if I can make my grip stronger then I will definetly try. But I like the way you put it "you are just cheating the major muscles and wearing out the lesser ones". I can see it that way for sure!
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Well don't use straps or anything for every set, just for when you know your grip is compromised. Personally I think direct work on grip strength and forearms is silly, unless you have a specific reason to work them. You indirectly work your forearms a lot, so its only natural that they cannot keep up with the rest of your body.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Keep truckin' at it. I find it humorous when people use straps on the simplest of things such as a pull-up. The more you do it the better you'll get at it (the very foundation of Russian training essentially). Grip strength progresses quickly. If you're having trouble on deadlifts, use a mixed grip but make sure to alterante. If you want to improve your grip, try doing things like farmer walks, plate pinches, etc.

Also consider using chalk. They make liquid chalk now, which is mess free. It's quite cheap and lasts a long time. I have sweaty hands, so when I used chalk it was god send.

Lastly, make sure you're holding it right. This is how you should hold it: http://cdn.stronglifts.com/wp-content/uploads/deadlift-proper-grip4.jpg
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I've been doing it overhand grip. Is that wrong???
    Keep truckin' at it. I find it humorous when people use straps on the simplest of things such as a pull-up. The more you do it the better you'll get at it (the very foundation of Russian training essentially). Grip strength progresses quickly. If you're having trouble on deadlifts, use a mixed grip but make sure to alterante. If you want to improve your grip, try doing things like farmer walks, plate pinches, etc.

Also consider using chalk. They make liquid chalk now, which is mess free. It's quite cheap and lasts a long time. I have sweaty hands, so when I used chalk it was god send.

Lastly, make sure you're holding it right. This is how you should hold it: http://cdn.stronglifts.com/wp-content/uploads/deadlift-proper-grip4.jpg
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts for reps.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The powerball can help grip strength, particularly if you have weaker arms. Increasing forearm strength will help increase your grip. I also use a stress ball to help with my grip strength. I have some numbness in my fingers from using crutches, so I know how frustrating it can be to hold on when that happens! Perhaps you might want to consider doing some of your workout with straps, and some without, so that you can get your sets in, but also increase grip strength over time.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it overhand grip. Is that wrong???

No, there's nothing wrong with that. When you start progressing in deadlifts, you'll need a stronger grip. Not everyone can do a double overhand grip forever (unless a hook grip is implemented).

Two kinds of grips exist outside of a double overhand: (1) Mixed grip and (2) Hook grip.

The former is the easiest to learn. Simply pronate one hand and supinate another (meaning one hand has the palm facing the body and the other has the palm facing away). Unfortunately, and EMG tests have confirmed it, imbalances can occur, which is why I suggested alternating the grip and a greater chance of bicep tear exists.

The other grip (hook) is a more painful one to learn, albeit the better one. Simply put, you lay your thumb out and you wrap your hands around your thumb. It takes around 3-4 weeks to get adjusted and build some pain tolerance.

Of course, you can continue to use a double overhand. To ensure your grip is getting better, you can simply hold the barbell in your hands for time on your last rep of your last set. I've seen this recommended and I incorporated it myself.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    farmers walk, use a small towel and wrap around the grip of a dumb bell making the grip bigger. Pick them up and walk until you can't hang on any more.
  • closedacct
    Options
    I use wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with a barbell or dumbell. These have helped me with my motorcycle riding and with my guitar playing.