Walking weights?

Options
Does anyone out there use "walking weights" when they walk? How do they benefit?

Replies

• jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I use them! I forgot how much weigh they are, but I like them because it's a little extra push for your arms!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been advised by a number of people...including a physical therapist and an orthopedic surgeon...not to use weights (legs or hands) when walking. It throws off your natural balance and can make you more prone to injury.
  • tretyak90
    tretyak90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I walk about a mile with 5 lb weights in each hand, gives me an extra boost!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I've been advised by a number of people...including a physical therapist and an orthopedic surgeon...not to use weights (legs or hands) when walking. It throws off your natural balance and can make you more prone to injury.

I've always read this too.
  • Rockerchick77
    Options
    I have been told not to add weight to ankles but I wasn't sure about hands. Makes sense that it will throw off the natual balance. Thanks all!
  • jwpe
    jwpe Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What about walking with a back pack? Would that distribute the weight better?
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What about walking with a back pack? Would that distribute the weight better?

This is what a co-worker of mine did. She put 40lb weights in a backpack while she walked on the treadmill. She lost so much weight from the extra push it gave her. I was thinking about trying it myself.
  • byroman
    byroman Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started this journey carrying an extra 68 lb on my walks. I found that as got rid of the weight, I could go faster and work harder. I got rid of the weight, I don't want it back. No walking weights for me!