Lacking motivation...help!

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm a college student trying to get rid of these extra pounds I've gained over the past two years (trying to lose around 20 lbs), and I'm really having trouble with my eating habits. I was doing good during the beginning of the semester, but now I barely have time to get enough sleep, let alone exercise, and I'm always snacking late at night (my biggest downfall). Anyone have any ideas how to help me?

Replies

• trish1960
    trish1960 Posts: 39
    Options
    No advice but I sure do feel your pain. I lost 16 lbs the first time I did MFP and now I've gained it all back. Late night snacking is one of my vices also. I'm frustrated and I feel fat again. I'm trying to lose between 20 & 30 lbs.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Probably the most important thing you can do right now is actually get some sleep. Read up on how poor sleep habits can cause you to gain weight. When we are fatigued we often make irrational choices like eating chocolate cake instead of baby carrots!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Do you live in the dorms or in an apartment? That can make a huge difference! If you have to eat on campus, it's a lot harder to find healthy choices! Everything in the dinning halls tend to be loaded with unnecessary carbs. I always had trouble with carbohydrate overload! Get food out of your room. Whether in an apartment or in a dorm, keep it out of your room so the late night snacking is a lot more difficult.
    Don't worry about exercise if you're struggling to keep up with your school work. But if you're not exercising you do need to be more careful about food. The amount of stress you are under is not good for weight loss. But if you can minimize gain until the end of the semester, you can focus on YOU over the summer! Just make sure you're walking whenever possible, even if catching a shuttle is easier, because it's exercise!
    Good luck!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I know it can be really tough hun, really i do. It takes REAL self discipline. I'd say just be more mindful about WHAT you're snacking on. I don't know if times of day or night for eating really make a difference. Since i have started my weight loss journey i have realised that just making little changes initially can make a real difference. Like swapping a candy bar for an apple, or drinking more water...

I've recently given my whole eating life a complete overhaul gradually and i've lost 27lbs up til now.

Good luck with it all!
  • kltobin2010
    kltobin2010 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Making this life style change is very tough! I agree, get your rest!!! And try packing yourself, healthy snacks for when you want to grab a snack, you know it is a healthy snack and there is less to worry about. I would suggest, focusing on meeting your daily calorie intake for like a week. Log everything you eat, everything!!! Then you can start to incorporate exercise, 15, 20, 30 mins everyday or every other day, but continue to log your food as well. Just take it one step at a time, one day at a time. Best wishes! :smile:
  • lindseym1983
    Options
    My advice would be if you cannot get a lot of exercise in then watch what your eating and you can still lose weight. Have a yogurt with granola or fruit with p.butter at night to help with the snacking. Also, I am sure you are walking some from class to class, take the long way to class to get some extra calories burned or ask your friends to go on a walk/sight seeing. Make smart decisions at the cafe when everyone else is eating pizza and other high fat foods. Try and get some sleep, the more tired you are the poorer choices you will make and also it's not healthy on your body to not get the rest. Good luck! :)
  • y353
    y353 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well, in the top of my head would be found a low carb/sodium, good tasting snack to eat late at night. I really like those granola bars, so, they keep my sweet tooth at bay.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Exercising is important for other benefits, but for losing weight it is not necessary. If you can't find time to exercise like you suggest, then simply eat healthier. You said that you have trouble with late night snacking, that's just something you have to work on and get better at. I'm a graduate student and if I were to wait for a moment in my life when I'm *not* busy to eat healthy and exercise, then I'd never get around to it. Trust me, there's always time.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time picturing why you don't have time based on my own college experience where I took more than the average hours per semester as well as worked and still found time to study and eat with regular sleep but if it's not an issue of needing to take a serious look at how you time manage then here are some things I did to make eating easier when I was in school.

1. join a cooking circle, this is where you and some friends at least one of which is in an apartment on or off campus that has a kitchen form a week day schedule where you take turns cooking for each other one night a week you cook for the group the next you do dishes the next several you just get to eat and enjoy each others company. You might even be surprised that you learn some good budgeting skills along the way.

2. can't eat the snacks if you don't buy the snacks or bring them to your space.

3. if you insist on staying up late shift your dinner time so you don't have to go as long without eating before you go to bed.

4. Eat more protein as it makes you feel satisfied longer.

5. if you absolutely have to snack find something with as few calories as you can like fresh fruit or veg. I've never seen a dorm room yet that couldn't hold a micro fridge. fill it with baby carrots and apples.
  • prettymandy
    Options
    Thanks for all the great support you guys! I really appreciate it!!!