Looking for friends that lift

Options
I'm trying to shed 80 lbs that I gained over the last 3 years (thyroid tumor and removal last year), and about 20 that I put on slowly over the 20 years before that.

On the advice of my doctor, I am following a strength training program, but have found most of my "girlfriends" are all doing a lot of cardio stuff and eating bare minimum calories or less!!

I'd like to have a support center that includes some more lifters because they (usually) subscribe to the philosophy of fat loss through resistance training and raising metabolism. I'm not interested in endurance exercises that bore me to death, or dieting so strictly that I lose just as much muscle mass as I'm trying to build.

In other words, I'm less concerned with how many calories I'm burning at the gym, as I am about building muscle to burn calories the other 23 hours a day.

But I'm very new to this, learning as I go, and could use some lifters who I can turn to for their thoughts and support.

Thanks!!

Replies

• ldytaz
    ldytaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 4 days a week and boot camp the other 2. I started adding weight training about 2 months ago
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    This site does seem to be heavily focused on cardio training and weight loss. Feel free to add me, I'm also interested in friends who are lifting and particularly looking to add weight.
  • NancyNiles
    Options
    This site does seem to be heavily focused on cardio training and weight loss. Feel free to add me, I'm also interested in friends who are lifting and particularly looking to add weight.

Well, I'm certainly not looking to add weight, but I'm less focused on the scale as I am in my overall health and shape, which if all the moons line up right, will result in weight loss for me, and weight gain for you :)
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

Well, I'm certainly not looking to add weight, but I'm less focused on the scale as I am in my overall health and shape, which if all the moons line up right, will result in weight loss for me, and weight gain for you :)

Sounds good. I'll just take those pounds that you are shedding, please. :)
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hey there, love to lift and despiese cardio! (also love to eat :p) I'm just about to start the 5x5 program. Feel free to add me, love new friends with similar goals :)
  • NancyNiles
    Options
    I just picked up a copy of the New Rules of Lifting for Women, which as it turns out are pretty much the same as for men. It seems that while we are different genders, we are actually the same species (don't tell my husband I said so!).
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    there is a group on here called new rules of lifting for women... check it out..
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie lifter, just started strength training at the beginning of the month. I do it every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning, and I'll be moving up to more days in another few weeks. Taking it slow, because of a back injury. I'm not too concerned with calories, because I try and eat clean and stay energized.
  • NancyNiles
    Options
    there is a group on here called new rules of lifting for women... check it out..

Very cool. Found it. Thank you. Not sure I can do the whole plan to the letter. Especially the nutrition plan. I have a family that will go all out rebellion on my *kitten* if I change their diet any more than I already have. They're being really good about the healthy foods and low-cal substitutions, etc. But any more and they'll start picketing in my kitchen, lol.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a newbie lifter! Going to be doing NROLFW this summer. I'm in the middle of training for a 5k in May. I just love the feeling that lifting gives me! I'm always up for adding new friends here!
  • NancyNiles
    Options
    bump
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting, and I'm loving it!!!!

Feel free to add me, i'm following a good programme at the min and I def eat! I have quite a few girls and guys on my friend list who lift as well.

:flowerforyou:
  • James4784
    James4784 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've always had my best weight loss through lifting weights (a few years ago now). I lost about 3inches on my waist and my strength almost doubled but my weight stayed the same and i didn't bulk up, just toned up. Just trying to get back into it again now! I have just finished reading the 'new rules for lifiting for men' :)

Feel free to add me.
  • NancyNiles
    Options
    I've been reading in New Rules for Women that the rules are roughly the same for both sexes. The way our muscles react and grow is different, but the author said the workouts are actually tougher for the women than the men because, he said "You can take it." You meaning women. He thinks we're tougher. I don't know if he believes that, or if it sells books, but I've long believed that anyone who can push a baby the size of a watermelon through a hole the size of a grape and live to tell the tale, can do anything an man can do!! :)
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am a new lifter too, would love more friends too! sending you and invite. anyone else, new or seasoned, please add me too! i could use all the help i can get! :smooched:
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I am in my 2nd month of lifting. I am using the new rules of lifting for women and I love it.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am just getting into lifting- have a session with a trainer tomorrow to help get me on track! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a copy of the New Rules of Lifting for Women, which as it turns out are pretty much the same as for men. It seems that while we are different genders, we are actually the same species (don't tell my husband I said so!).

I am doing this one as well and its wonderful youll love it
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: you've got it.

while i love cardio, I love strength and I love eating like a human, I'll friend request you. message me anytime you need to