best kind of oatmeal..!?

Options
I am starting to plan out my breakfast a little better and wanted to start trying a oatmeal..! does anyone have favorites or recommend any that are hearty and healthy ?

Replies

• bogoli
    bogoli Posts: 15
    Options
    Trader joe's has plenty of variety. I always hear people talking about oatmeal, but everyone always forgets Cream of Wheat! It's just as good for you :)
  • vaavamom1
    vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats !! tastes better too !!!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I like plain quaker oats original and I make a serving or two and mix in fat free greek yogurt. Ive read that steel cut is better for you but quaker is just easier to prepair
  • AyaEtman
    AyaEtman Posts: 10
    Options
    I don't like yogurt so i dn't really know what else can i add to my oatmeal ? i tried strawberries but i ddnt really like them in it
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Scottish or Irish style steel cut oats. Take the time, make them right, add your own fruit. Packaged oatmeal has the texture of elmers glue.
  • stonecrissy310
    Options
    I dont like oatmeal but my mother in law love it.. she use plain oatmeal and cook it in advance, she add any kind of fruit that is want for that week.. she store it in a big mayo jar Hope this helps.. God bless you .. and I pray God grace covers you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What kind of texture do you like? All oats are good for you, just watch the added sugars.

Instant - add boiling water & stir. This has a baby food texture. This comes in packets, most with lots of added sugar. Better off going with plain quick oats and adding your own toppings.

Rolled (old fashioned) - cooks in 5 minutes. This is still instant but the texture is better, less like baby food. Some packets like Better Oats have added flax seed. Really good for fiber.

Instant Steel cut - cooks in 5 minutes. This is still instant but the texture is really different - love it.

Steel Cut - cooks 20 minutes. Texture is almost chewy. You can cook these 25 minutes to get a smoother texture.
  • slamb1020
    slamb1020 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    awesome feed back..! i am going to try to look into the instant steel oats :)