5 Weeks of MFP and Turbo Fire and 1 lb lost

Options
Hi all....
This has been a frustration for me for the past 5 weeks... I am eating right, exercising HARD (anyone who has heard of/done/seen Turbo Fire knows it's a tough cardio workout) but not losing any weight, as far as the scale goes.
Don't get me wrong - I've seen my measurements go down and have noticed new muscles, but my scale has at most dropped by 1 pound (and now it's back up). I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong.
I understand we can't only rely on the scale, and I've been happy with my NSVs. BUT... I feel like the scale should be going down by now. I could understand it in the first few weeks, but now that I've completed week 5... WHEN is the scale going to drop!?!?

I'm 5'3 and 132lbs - I only want to lose about 10 lbs (I'm really just looking to lose my belly fat, which could be less than 10lbs, I'm not sure). My diary is open, so take a peek! I just increased my calories to 1400 last week based on some MFP friend's suggestions; before that I think I was shooting for around 1200 - 1300.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Also... at what point should I see a doctor to see if there is a medical reason that I'm not losing weight (i.e. gluten allergy, thyroid problem)?

Replies

• Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I should note I am also drinking a lot of water -- about 5 16.9oz bottles during the day, then 2 glasses at night.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'd give the new calorie limit a little longer to let it help you, try calculating what you should be eating based on these calculations:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

It will probably tell you to eat more than 1600 calories and I highly recommend doing it.

You could try seeing a nutritionist or giving your doctor a call to see if it helps?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You don't have much weight to lose so it will come off painfully slow at this point. You really shouldn't look for 1/2 pound week loss. Make sure you are eating enough to cover your workouts and just keep at it.
  • wiltka
    wiltka Posts: 7
    Options
    I am right there with you, not having much happen for a few weeks. You may need to eat back some of your exercise calories. Also as a nurse too, most patients so signs of thyroid disorders (low or hypothyroidism) and you would be the best resource to know if you have an allergy to anything based on how you feel. You may need to switch it up what you are eating and the timing of it. IF you do a MFP search on weight plateu there are some links to interesting articles and blogs.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Throw away the scale... or at least put it away.

If you are seeing positive changes in your body, then why the worry? its just a number.. i know its hard to think that way.. but what should matter more is how you look and feel.. scale be damned.. its never been good to us anyways.. why should it start now that we work our butts off!

You know how hard you worked, you can see the changes.. Be proud of yourself!! Don't let the scale get your down!
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Hi all....
    This has been a frustration for me for the past 5 weeks... I am eating right, exercising HARD (anyone who has heard of/done/seen Turbo Fire knows it's a tough cardio workout) but not losing any weight, as far as the scale goes.
    Don't get me wrong - I've seen my measurements go down and have noticed new muscles, but my scale has at most dropped by 1 pound (and now it's back up). I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong.
    I understand we can't only rely on the scale, and I've been happy with my NSVs. BUT... I feel like the scale should be going down by now. I could understand it in the first few weeks, but now that I've completed week 5... WHEN is the scale going to drop!?!?

I'm 5'3 and 132lbs - I only want to lose about 10 lbs (I'm really just looking to lose my belly fat, which could be less than 10lbs, I'm not sure). My diary is open, so take a peek! I just increased my calories to 1400 last week based on some MFP friend's suggestions; before that I think I was shooting for around 1200 - 1300.

Also... at what point should I see a doctor to see if there is a medical reason that I'm not losing weight (i.e. gluten allergy, thyroid problem)?

That is the problem. If you are eating this little and doing Turbofire (which I am doing too) you are definitely not eating enough calories to sustain weight loss. In fact, I would suggest you use http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html to figure out how many more calories you should be eating. Also, since you are 10lbs within goal you should change your projected weight loss to .5lbs a week. When you're already at a low weight, doing tons of cardio and then ON TOP OF THAT maintaining a huge caloric deficit all you will do is stall weight loss. Not speed it up.
  • KarenC88
    KarenC88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am nowhere near in as good of shape as you are, but I was just wondering if you have added any strength training into the cardio workouts. I have not tried the Turbo Fire (just starting Insanity this week) so I'm not familiar with if it has strength along with cardo, but I have done Chalene's Extreme in the past and that may be a good one to try to help get the lean back into the core area as well. Until I moved, I had been working with a trainer at my gym, and I had been doing some great workouts with weights...you can incorporate some cardio moves into a weight routine so you not only strenghten the muscles, you get the heart-rate up as well.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    That is the problem. If you are eating this little and doing Turbofire (which I am doing too) you are definitely not eating enough calories to sustain weight loss. In fact, I would suggest you use http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html to figure out how many more calories you should be eating. Also, since you are 10lbs within goal you should change your projected weight loss to .5lbs a week. When you're already at a low weight, doing tons of cardio and then ON TOP OF THAT maintaining a huge caloric deficit all you will do is stall weight loss. Not speed it up.

I totally agree with this!!
  • Kenzieb07
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone. I'm going to check another calculator to see how many calories I should be eating each day and also changing my weight loss goal to .5lbs/week. Also, I currently do some strength training. The Turbo Fire program has "Sculpt 30" on Tuesdays with a resistance band, and "Tone 30" on Thursdays also with a resistance band. I've also included some gym trips for weight lifting (3x in the past month) for my arms.

I wish I could give up on the scale... I WISH I didn't care what it said every day, but I do. :(
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi there !!!

I am 5'2 1/2 and weigh 133-134.... and want to lose 8-10 lbs to be at the mid-range of my healthy BMI. It is frustrating and the scale hasn`t moved in months. So I understand where you are coming from.

I have decided to eat as clean as possible (stay away from processed foods) and do the 30 Day Shred for the next 30 days and see where it brings me and perhaps up my water abit.

Change it up. If whatever you have been doing has not work then try doing something completely different. Change your food, or times when you eat and do different exercises. I perhaps have a cheat day......

Good luck !
  • Kenzieb07
    Options
    I just went to the fitness frog calculator and for activity level you're given the option of picking the below. I'm unsure what I should be choosing -- I have a desk job, but I work out 6-7 days/week. Should I be choosing "Heavy Exercise"? Or should I put "Little or no exercise" since then I use a heart rate monitor to tell me exactly how many calories I burn during my workouts? I've always heard to not include my workouts in the "daily activity level," but I just want to make sure. Thanks!!

Little or no exercise (ex: desk job)
    Light exercise (ex: exercising 1-3 days/week)
    Moderate exercise (ex: exercising 3-5 days/week)
    Heavy exercise (ex: exercising 6-7 days/week)
    Daily exercise (ex: exercising 7 days/week and working a physical job)

Hi all....

• fittiephd
    Options
    I'd say choose heavy exercise. But you could try the method of calculating that I posted a link to if you want to compare results and see if they are similar.
  • lkarinal
    lkarinal Posts: 107
    Options
    I reached plateau couple of weeks ago, and what worked for me was to add weights to my training. 30DS could be a great option (level 1 is available on youtube) it kind of boost my metabolism and I saw the scale moving, not a huge drop, but enough to keep in this journey. Hope this helps and keep pushing play:smile:
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation as you. I am starting week 4 of my Turbo Fire/ Body Pump challenge. I am acutally up 3 pounds! I don't know what is going on. Last week, I upped my calories to 1600, based on some research I'v done on how many calories I should be eating. One thing I'm working on this week is to "eat clean". By this, I mean I am going to limit processed and packaged foods and avoid eating out (maybe a treat day this weekend). My goal is to fill up on veggies, fruits and lean protein. I know people say it's calories in vs. calories out, but I think the KIND of calories can make a difference. I am also upping my weights this week for Pump. AND I am NOT going to weigh myself until Sunday, my weigh in day.

You have really been doing a great job. You inspire me every day to get my workout in, because I see how great you have done. So many people have told me to throw my scale away! Maybe you should too. You have had some awesome NSVs! Keep up the good work!
  • Kenzieb07
    Options
    Thank you dear, and if for no other reason, I will continue to push play in order to motivate you and others!!
    I agree that the kind of calories makes a difference; eating tons of fruits/veggies that get you up to 600 cals has to be better than eating fried chicken tenders worth 600 calories.

I was thinking that maybe one of these weeks (maybe during TMO!?) I'll let myself eat what I want for 1 week. Perhaps not paying SO much attention to what I'm eating could help me. I've previously had weight loss success by eating my normal fatty foods but working out; so maybe I need to trick my body out and do that. I'm not sure! I'm willing to try anything at this point - just want to see the number on the scale go down :)

Keep it up -- it looks like you've lost 9lbs (per your tracker), which is a huge accomplishment and something to be so proud of!
    I am in the same situation as you. I am starting week 4 of my Turbo Fire/ Body Pump challenge. I am acutally up 3 pounds! I don't know what is going on. Last week, I upped my calories to 1600, based on some research I'v done on how many calories I should be eating. One thing I'm working on this week is to "eat clean". By this, I mean I am going to limit processed and packaged foods and avoid eating out (maybe a treat day this weekend). My goal is to fill up on veggies, fruits and lean protein. I know people say it's calories in vs. calories out, but I think the KIND of calories can make a difference. I am also upping my weights this week for Pump. AND I am NOT going to weigh myself until Sunday, my weigh in day.

You have really been doing a great job. You inspire me every day to get my workout in, because I see how great you have done. So many people have told me to throw my scale away! Maybe you should too. You have had some awesome NSVs! Keep up the good work!